Tequila Bottle Hummingbird Feeder

Hummingbird Feeder I like tequila bottles! I like the variety of shapes, the glass, the corks, and, of course, I like the contents. But what to do with the bottles when they are emptied? Save them! There are a variety of uses for the bottles. I use them for margarita salt containers, soap bottles, to hold bath salts, infused olive oils and vinegars, salad dressings, salsas, dried herbs and spices—the list goes on.

A friend of mine made a tequila bottle hummingbird feeder for me a couple of years ago. It is the first feeder in my garden the little birds go to in the spring. It hangs by a wire cage that is embellished with bottle caps. In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I decided to give my feeder a friend and embellish its wire hanging cage with bright colored beads to help attract the hummingbirds.

Step 1

Open GalleryTequila BottlesChoose from a variety of tequila bottles you have saved from your fiestas, or choose your favorite bottle and invite your friends over to help you empty it.

Step 2

Open GalleryWash Tequila BottlesSubmerge the bottle and soak in warm soapy water. After it soaks for a day, the label will peel or scrape right off.

Step 3

Open GalleryWireCut the wire to 36-inch lengths. You’ll need four pieces. You’ll cut off excess later, but it is better to have too much than not enough length.

Step 4

Open GalleryWireYou’ll need to identify the middle point of each length of wire. Start with the midpoints of two of the pieces of wire, and wrap each around the neck of the bottle crossing the two in opposite directions. As you crisscross the wires, twist at the point of the crossovers on each side. Twist five rotations at each crossover. Repeat this step with the second set of wires. Make sure this step looks nice and neat. The rest of the project will go smoothly if the first twists are uniform.

Step 5

Open GalleryBeads on WireThread each twist with two beads and spread to separate the wires. This will keep the beads in place before the next step.

Step 6

Open GalleryDecorating Glass BottlesContinue to crisscross, twist five times, thread the beads, separate wire, and repeat until the bottle is encapsulated in the wire and bead cage. Make sure you twist tightly for a clean appearance on all twists and to be consistent throughout the project.

Step 7

Open GalleryCutting WireFor the last set of crisscrosses, continue to twist past the five twists and on through to the ends. You’ll end up with four sets of two-wire twists. Cut off excess wire and make all four ends the same length, being careful to give yourself enough length to make a hanger loop. Take two adjacent sets of twisted wires and twist them together to the end. Repeat with the other two sets. Loop the twisted wires around your finger or a dowel and twist the ends, finishing off the loop. And again, maintain a nice clean look.

Step 8

Open GalleryHummingbird FeederMake the hummingbird nectar by heating up a sugar water solution of four parts water to one part plain white sugar. Allow to cool before filling the bottle. (Please do not use food coloring or honey in the water. This could harm the birds.) Insert the feeder stopper to fit snuggly, hang the feeder on a hook in your garden (preferably next to red flowering native plants), and enjoy!

Project Resources

Wild Birds Unlimited

Materials

• tequila bottle
  • hummingbird feeder stopper $4
  • colorful beads $4
  • 20 gauge wire $4

Tools

• wire cutters
  • needle nose pliers
About Michelle Reynolds

47Posts

I’m a slipcover maker who refuses to fill the trash with the cutaway bits of designer fabrics, so I strive to make use of every scrap. I live with my ...

More About Michelle Reynolds

43 Responses

1. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! panvoya

2. I have a suggestion for those without a red flowering plant nearby, such as us in the Southwest dry arid areas… panvoya

3. AsharSeo says:

making fossilization difficult and leaving their evolutionary history poorly documented. – - Greg Aziz

4. @mena99260 says:

high frequencies audible to humans. Hummingbirds wing bones are hollow and fragile, making fossilization difficult and leaving their evolutionary history poorly documented. – 40th Birthday Gift Ideas For Men

5. AsharSeo says:

making fossilization difficult and leaving their evolutionary history poorly documented. …….postal rates in uk

6. They are known as hummingbirds because of the humming sound created by their beating wings which flap at high frequencies audible to humans. Hummingbirds wing bones are hollow and fragile, making fossilization difficult and leaving their evolutionary history poorly documented.

7. .I guess I'll have to start drinking it. These feeders are so cute! הסעות בלונדון

8. ..I guess I'll have to start drinking it. These feeders are so cute!
    lol how to play with flamers

9. malwaredoc says:

I don't have any tequila bottles….I guess I'll have to start drinking it. These feeders are so cute! – See more at: http://blog.diynetwork.com/maderemade/how-to/tequmalwaredoc

10. Terri says:

11. Erin says:

Try your local hardware store…(not the big-box places like Home Depot or Lowes)…but the small, real hardware stores. I go to my local Ace Hardware for this kind of thing. You can also check your local nurseries and gardening stores/suppliers. They carry all kinds of stuff like this. You might even check Tractor Supply??

• kerry says:

This is very nice blog because information provided here through the article and the pictures are very effective. Because sometimes words cannot explain the things that pictures can and here the words and pictures both are expressing the things in balance. laanogsparpenge

12. Oscar says:

Keep in mind all feeder tubes leak to some degree — including ball bearing tubesTry this link on eBay where you can get 25 pcs of feeder tubes WITH ball bearings: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp

13. Wow this bottle shape is looking very nice. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information

14. cheryl says:

A side note! Do NOT use yellow anywhere on your Hummer feeder. Yellow does not draw Hummers, but it DOES draw bees! I had some commercial feeders with small yellow flowers hung outside my window and one afternoon I looked out and they were completely covered with honey bees! You could only see the very top of the feeder. Hummers would not come if bees are there…smart birds! I googled the problem and followed directions to prevent the bees from doing it again…… so far so good!

• Vicki I. says:

Thanks for the tip! Where I am the biggest issue is the deer (whom I deerly love). About the only "deer safe" flowering plants are yellow, but this valley is covered in yellow so they don't hang around particular plants. I may move my two bottle feeders a bit further out after reading your comment but the silly deer try and pull the feeders down and then they cut themselves trying to get at the sweet water. We have tons of unique birds but very few hummingbirds in the whole county so something here must discourage them.

• AsharSeo says:

Hummers would not come if bees are there…smart birds! I googled the problem and followed directions to prevent the bees from doing it again…… Free Downloads

15. Leslie says:

I would like to know where you can get the feeder parts only thanks

16. rebecca thornton says:

I can't find the stoppers anywhere, where do you get yours?

17. Shelly,
    These stoppers are very easily shaved down to fit if needed.

18. Shelly says:

I am wanting to order some stoppers to make some of these feeders. Does anyone know what size stopper works on a Patron Tequila bottle, the No. 2 or No. 3?

19. guest says:

Would they be the same as a hamster licker?

20. Linder says:

Make sure not to use a feeder that the hummingbird's tongue will get stuck in. It will with something that was meant for guinea pigs, gerbils, etc. check with a local bird feed store, or online for hummingbird feed specific.

21. Barb Santoyo says:

Go to Petsmart or PetGo and look in the small animals section (mice, gerbils, hamsters, birds).

• Vicki I. says:

Yup, I agree…pet stores! Every size from large animals to small animals have these feeders. I am surprised that the one from Amazon didn't work because mine did but it got totaled in a freak storm and I went back to Amazon but to the pet department!

22. BlueSchmoo says:

I have a suggestion for those without a red flowering plant nearby, such as us in the Southwest dry arid areas, but we have many humming birds, use patio paints to paint red flowers/designs on the outside of the bottle to attract the hummers

23. Vanessa says:

i've looked everywhere for the feeder stoppers can't find them anywhere except to buy them offline, which one is a good one to buy with the ball bearing because apparently the ones on Amazon don't work well.

24. Sarah says:

What happens when Hummingbirds have too much tequila?

• time on my hands says:

Well, no, they don't stop humming. They were singing before the tequilla. Now they're too drunk to remember the words, so they hum.