These funky fuchsia vegetables have a special place in my (funky, fuchsia?) heart. Beets are fairly easy to grow, full of antioxidants, nutritious, delicious and … aphrodisiacs. Hubba hubba.
I love beets on salads, cooked as a side with meals, pickled or even blended into a bold borscht. But this past year, I ended up with so many – I have to say I was, er, beat. So, inspired by making my own Cucumber Body Butter, I decided to concoct a Sweet Beet Lip Gloss. Check out the video here and the recipe below.
Recipe for Laurie’s Un-Beet-able Lip Gloss
3 Medium Sized Beets
½ c. Sugar
1 Drop Vanilla
1 TBSP Petroleum Jelly
1. Juice the 3 medium sized beets.
2. In a saucepan, heat the beet juice on low. Stir in the sugar.
3. Continue to stir until sugar has dissolved into a thick syrup. (approximately 5 minutes)
4. Let the reduction cool to room temperature.
5. In a bowl, combine 1 TBSP Petroleum Jelly with 1 TSP beet reduction.
6. Add one drop of Vanilla for flavor
7. Stir thoroughly.
8. Spoon into individual airtight containers. Mixture must be kept in the refrigerator and lasts approximately 1 month.
I’m in love with the subtle tint this healthy, moisturizing gloss provides – and I also love knowing exactly which ingredients went into making it. I feel good each time I put it on or whenever I share some with others.
Because it’s a wonderful gift for friends, I find myself saving all kinds of cute containers. Mint tins and recycled make-up pots are not safe around me anymore! If you’re thinking of giving this recipe a try, keep your eyes peeled for adorable air-tight containers in your world. So give it a try and let me know how it goes!
S.W.A.B.K. (Sealed with a beet kiss)!
To learn more about beets and the best time to grow certain varieties, see the gallery below.