DIY Co-ed Baby Shower Ideas

DIY Co-ed Baby Shower Ideas

Traditional baby showers have never really been my thing. Don’t get me wrong, I know we are all thrilled when someone we love will soon bring a new life into the world, but being forced to sniff or taste melted chocolate from a baby diaper or to watch mom-to-be open a hundred onesies isn’t everyone’s idea of a good time (mom-to-be included).

When I offered to host a baby shower for my sister’s first pregnancy, we knew we wanted to do something different. What followed was a successful and fun shower for the parents-to-be and the guests. Consider these tips when planning your next baby shower.

1. Keep It Casual

There is no reason that throwing a baby shower should be a headache. Keep the day easy by hosting a simple backyard barbeque. Allow guests to pop in whenever it fits their schedule and stay only as long as they like. Burgers and dogs on the grill are easy to prepare and gluten-free or vegan options are available.

Baby Shower Food Ideas

Choose sides that can be made beforehand to limit the amount of preparation the day of the shower. We stuck with fresh vegetables, hummus, salsas and salads that were easy to whip up and satisfied all dietary needs. They also fared well sitting out for the length of the party.

2. Make It Co-ed

It took two people to produce a pregnancy, so shouldn’t both parties be invited to celebrate it? Include the dudes and you’ll have extra sets of hands to setup and cleanup. It is also a great excuse to see all of your friends in the same place at the same time.

There are many co-ed baby shower invitations available. We settled on these great “BabyQ” shower invites by ElleOL Designs in pink, blue, or gender-neutral yellow, but you can even print your own invitations from home.

Couples Baby Shower Invitations | Made + Remade

BabyQ Invitations by ElleOL Designs on Etsy

3. Bust Out the Booze

For those who like to kick back with a cold one on the weekend, a baby shower is no exception. In addition to having an assortment of beer outside by the barbeque, we set up a gorgeous indoor mimosa bar for guests to pick and choose their poison. Champagne along with orange, cranberry, and pineapple juices with fresh-cut fruit were provided for mixing. We even threw in a sangria option (thanks Bobby Flay!) for those that don’t dig champagne. The mimosa bar was so pretty that we hardly needed extra decorations for the shower, and mom-to-be could drink OJ without feeling left out.

Mimosa Bar | Made + Remade

4. Embrace Minimal Decorations

Tons of time and energy could be spent crafting pink fluffy or soft blue baby shower decorations only to have them thrown away after the party ends. Why not keep décor stress-free by using functional items or things that can be reused after the shower as decoration? With our mimosa bar and menu bringing in tons of color already, we decided to pick up just a few items to spruce up the already beautiful Los Angeles home where the shower was hosted. We chose to bring in fresh spring flowers, balloons in a pale pink palette, and inexpensive tissue paper pom poms that hung like chandeliers from the arched entryways around the house.
Baby Shower Decorations | Made + Remade

All baby shower gifts were laid out neatly unwrapped for guests to peruse. Everyone loves to look at cute, tiny baby gifts, but we eliminated the monotonous gift opening tradition while still allowing guests to find and chat about what they had given the expectant couple.

5. Make Games Opt-In Only

Nothing is worse than being forced to participate in a baby shower game that you aren’t interested in or just plain grosses you out (reference melted chocolate diaper game above). We chose only two opt-in games that didn’t take a lot of work and appealed to all members of the shower.

Co-ed Baby Shower Game | Made + Remade

The first was the baby bottle beer chug. Bottles were filled a quarter of the way up and handed out to participants of the game. On “Go,” every last drop was sucked back until the first male and female finishers were awarded prizes. The baby shower prizes distributed were gift cards to popular eateries and coffee joints. Of course, the mom-to-be can’t participate, but ours enjoyed being the judge and handing out prizes.

Baby Shower Game | Made + Remade

Baby Face Mash-up

The second baby shower game was created over at using photos of the couple and their celebrity crushes. On the site, mom and dad-to-be’s facial features are extracted from their photos to make a baby face mash-up. The process is repeated with celebrity photos and the baby faces are lined up side-by-side. Participants must guess which face belongs to the future parents-to-be’s baby.

6.  Don’t Forget the Guest’s Family

Allow guests to bring their entire families to the baby shower, including those with fur. This makes it easy for people to attend as they won’t have to find child or pet care. You’ll also have tons of fun playing with the little ones (just make sure to walk your pets beforehand and clean up after them at the shower).

Invite Children and Pet to your Baby Shower | Made + Remade It is possible to throw a baby shower that everyone can enjoy!

21 Responses

1. sukeshbd says:

Moms and dads usually prefer to maintain secure and guarded the youngster. Like a mother or father We are constantly occupied with regard to the kid trying to retain pleased as well as risk-free along with our all the capability. Your child care cream is extremely beneficial to me personally in this instance and i also wish this kind of type of composing and also explanation additionally assist me to a great deal to preserve satisfied along with harmless this youngster.

2. Kaouple says:

In theory a travel system for babies works out nice. A coordinated set of Britax stroller and seat designed to figure along that match too appears like one thing that each parent would like to own. however once it involves actual use several folks say that the travel system does not work which shopping for a separate stroller and seat is that the best option for brand spanking new folks.

3. Samantha says:

Love the ideas!!
    It's just… so much time, I'm a person with no time and no talent so I prefer to just look for someone else who has both and order off them because then it also saves… money! lol
    I pay as little as $14 for some of my baby shower items I find on both Etsy and eBay… one I just got was only $21, but it was the CUTEST thing ever!!
    Way better than a onesie! lol
    This is what I bought, and it was much bigger then I expected when it arrived. Full of diapers and other stuff for mom to be, I was so excited to give such a unique personal gift to my friend, I will be doing this from now on because I just can't work in all the time and talent it takes to make such awesome gifts.

If you can do it, then I recommend doing it, but if you can't, you can get it from someone else who can and save yourself the headache!

4. Mary says:

Love your ideas! How did you word the invite to have guests bring unwrapped gifts to the shower?!

5. Sarah Dixon says:

Such lovely gifts. I have bought some gifts a month ago from Ginger Kids for the birthday of my niece. I bought some bibs, baby thermometer and baby backseat mirror. Do you think this presents are the best?

6. felosan says:

Every one should care about the baby shower. You can take photos and create albums using this software. That is a awesome moment.

7. I should be preparing this kind of food for the baby shower that I'm throwing up next month. Thanks for the awesome idea!

Beverly J. Jefferson

8. Paolo Rossato says:

I just loved everything starting from the printable baby shower invitations design to the whole guideline and suggestions given for the party, thank you so very much for sharing these ideas across.

9. Susan Pierce says:

Not all of us have alot of women friends, I have more guy friends than women so the baby shower would be pretty small if it was only women, plus it wouldn't feel right without ALL my good friends!

10. Dave Jones says:

Stunning post. It is quite tough to throw a baby shower party we used to make this event unique and innovative, so I used to follow the tips provided here to make happy an expectant mother through different designs of diaper cakes and other baby shower gifts.

11. Tim Rafael says:

Brilliant write on baby shower ideas. I like the activity part of this event. Sometimes guests are not in the mood for games. One of my favorite ideas is doing a few games (take around 10 minutes per game) and having a bit of a battle station where all your guests can work on something for the bride. You can then give little advice cards to your guests.

12. Wonderful post and information regarding baby shower day. Baby Shower Games & Activities is the most brilliant thing. I will plan it in my sister-in-laws baby shower day…

13. These are some unique ideas to make baby shower event more fun i specially like the Baby Face Mash-up and the baby bottle beer chug lolx that will be fun.

14. Babymonitors says:

Parents always like to keep safe and protected their child. As a parent I am always busy for my child and try to keep happy and safe with my all of the ability. Your baby care product is very helpful to me in this case and I hope such kind of writing and description also help me a lot to keep happy and safe my child.

15. umeshkr says:

awesome post…

16. Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know!

17. It's remarkable article in favor of all the web viewers; they will take benefit from it I am sure.

18. This is a really good site post, im delighted I came across it.

19. Susan says:

What a great alternative to the traditional baby shower. Your guests can actually have fun! Love the idea of having children and pets included in the festivities.

About Jill Werderitch

I track design, gardening, and DIY trends for HGTV, DIY Network, and Great American Country, and believe that creating unique, one-of-a-kind pieces with your hands keeps you happy. There is ...

More About Jill Werderitch