Design a Landscape Makeover for This Cute Couple (and Their HUGE Dog)

america's most desperate landscape makeover

Jason, Connie and their dog, Mayzee, are getting an overhaul of their desperate landscape in the Texas Hill Country, and you get to help. No sweat required — all you need to do is vote.

Get out your garden gloves and allergy meds, because it’s that time of year again — time for mowing, weeding, planting AND voting in DIY Network’s America’s Most Desperate Landscape giveaway. This year, one lucky Texas couple is getting a landscape makeover, and you control the design with your votes for products and materials that will guide the renovation. Check out Jason and Connie’s totally desperate yard below (so much potential …), then go here to start voting! (Oh, and did we mention that you can also enter for the chance to win $50,000? Sweet.)

We’ll update you throughout the design process with notice of new voting rounds in the post comments, and feel free to add your own comments about the landscape here, too.

Update: Check out the before and after photo gallery below.

31 Responses

1. Laura says:

Hey guys, how about coming to Four Corners Colorado? I live 38 miles northwest in Pleasant View. My husband and I bought a historic home (last standing house from the town of Ackmen) which is now Pleasant View. The back yard needs serious help, but the view is outstanding (Cow canyon). We have always wanted something like pergola, natural stone walk ways (something that would go with a period home) and beautiful foliage. We have tried planting but have found it hard to find plants that will survive out here, much less look great. We really need help! Both of us are babyboomers and capable. We have 5 acres to work with which is tiered off in areas. Would love someone to come out and provide some professional advice or perhaps select our property for a make over!

2. Bernadee says:

Have a very old maple tree 50 + years old, needs to be cut down hubby a Viet Nam veteran,fell broke his neck in 2009 had a good recovery but not suppose to get on ladders. He already has painted the rotten wood around the windows on the house both on disability fixed income hard to hire anyone to get anything done.

3. Trish says:

Seeing Mayzie, I figured something SOLID would be best. :) Metal would get hot but cushions could take care of this. Teak is a nice outdoor choice, but claws and canines work quite well.

BTW, once had a lovable Mayzie, too. It's nice to see Mayzie has room. I chose the fountain feature for Mayzie…great watering for her.

Much of the structures are squared, why not a round seating area?

Besides changing the exterior of the covered space, add some outdoor curtains to soften the look and possibly hide the metal structures behind it.

4. MarianG says:

Folks, please remember when voting for furniture, pick something that a rattlesnake cannot hide in. Hill Country is loaded with Rattlesnakes

5. kellysmtrimble says:

Right now, you can choose the outdoor furniture, patio shape, front door color, house number style and more outdoor features: http://www.diynetwork.com/americas-most-desperate

6. Joanna says:

The main questions was for suggestions. I would re-paint the "boobs" or add cedar. re-do the pergala and add climbing flowers. I like the tuscanny idea too. anyone else needing help can look in magazines and books or on-line for ideas. Then go to you local Church and ask for help. Our church does lots of yard projects for our members that are unable to do those things themselves.

7. Pamela Baldwin says:

My husband and I have taken over my aunt and uncle's chicken farm. We have a huge front yard that is a blank pallet and a back yard that is awful. We have a 7 day a week job working the chicken farm. However we would love to have some help with our yards. We have a Doberman that is our baby and would love to have a place for her to play and a place for us to play as well. We have a hot tub but it really needs a update. We live in Cohutta Ga. Which is right outside of Dalton Ga. Please Please help us. Thank you so very much.

8. Sharon Schmucker says:

Well i guess my compllaint is they never come to these little towns that if you blinked you would miss driving through it…lol..but that's where i live…i really need alot of help with my yard….there is so much potential but don't know where to start….my little town is derry,pa….35 miles east of pittsburgh,pa. thanks….

9. steve says:

i have just viewed all six photos and without a doubt have decided that this landscape should look like a place in italy (maybe tuscany). Everything in the photos says "outdoor living". I would start with an old fashion bread baking or pizza wood burning oven, then reface the house with cultured stone.

10. Beverly says:

Not all seniors are in "retirees".ment hom

11. Mike Beasley says:

I'm a disable senior , but about 6yrs ago I remodel my yd. I put down 10 pallets of sod New flowers and did all kind of yard work and today it looks TERRIBLE!!! ALL OF MY SOD DIED< MY SRHUBERY DIED< and everything that I did looks awful now. I NEED HELLLPPP!!!!I can't provide much help but I would do the best that I could if I could win a new yard makeover. I live on a Lake and my boat dock also needs rebuilding. It would make a great show.

12. Linda Ference says:

I also am a baby boomer. My husband helps when he is around, but has a busy work schedule. I have an acre that i cut, mulch and maintain. I have a large perennial bed and about 50 pots that I plant in the summer. My lot is on a corner where I also have a large area that parallels the street. On top of that I own another home that I inherited. My sister who never had a yard lives there. There is an acre that her and I maintain. I enjoy being outside ove the inside work. Just waiting for warmer weather here in northern Ohio.

13. Sylvia says:

I too am a baby boomer and do all the work inside and out. My husband won't help and is not interested. We have several Acres all hilly and some woods, lots of rocks, clay and some boulders but it's the around the house, fenced in part that give me the work. Because of arthritis in my right thumb area and lower back now it is slow and much harder to deal with it all. But I love the outdoors, the wildlife and no neighbors close enough to watch me. I had build some type of retaining wall years ago with landscape timber and steel rods through it at the lower end of the front slope, with a stone, rock walkway above it but now parts are falling and rotting. So,it needs to be redone but with what?
    Then I also build a second retaining wall above that with cement blocks and some are separating and the cement holding it is cracking. I know I should have put in some kind of drainage pipes along the length or something but didn't think of it back then. It is about 25 feet long at least. Anyway it is what Annette with the slope should consider – retaining walls or some kind of terraced slope and also to keep any down spouts away from going down that hill of possible. I have that problem too. I just don't know how to fix it and not have it so heavy for me to carry or so expensive. I am thinking of making more terraced areas in between but do have to repair the landscaped timber wall or make something else before the whole 3 ft. wide walkway goes down with it. Might even make cement slabs in some places with steel rods pounded down in the ground. I did make some large cement steps down the slope on one end too and an arbor at the top. It took me two years working on it on and off in between mowing etc.

14. Jan says:

Agree that we need some "senior" shows. Maybe on finding the perfect retirement home?

15. Annette says:

We, too, are in the baby boomer set. I do most of the outdoor work, as my husband has never enjoyed it, though occasionally he does give me a hand. Our frontyard has always been a big problem because it has a steep dropoff. Have tried seeding it after backfilling with dirt then making a gentler slope but the washoff takes care of the seed by washing it down the driveway! Still too steep. Could really use some help!

16. Pat says:

I disagree with the "Senior Citizen " comment. As a baby boomer of 66, I am very active and willing to help. I go to the gym 4 days a week and work with weights and do aerobics. It would be nice, however, to see middle aged or older helped with their property- and not just with wheelchair ramps! By the way, keep in mind that a dog loves to chew and dig, so any improvements need to be as dog-proof as possible. Wicker won't get it.

• Barb says:

I don't think they that being a senior that they had to be wheelchair bound to need the help. Alot of us who a baby boomers work and with aging comes new aches and pains. It's much easier for yong people to stoop and bend, even if we can still do it.

17. Giget says:

no pictures of the landscape.

18. sara says:

this is going to be fun Texas everything is big. make sure that you take some of the yard and build Maisy a great dog run with plenty of shade and water and a personal bathroom somewhere back in the corner lot down windy. now for the parents a outdoor kitchen a water mist spot for cooling. low care lawn and perennial flowers. speakers so they can lesson to music outside and sweet smelling flowers or trees that the wind will blow in their direction no to close because of bees. sorry butter stop I have a big imagination. also maisy looks great what a big baby.

19. Brenda says:

It is always young people that they pick for the shows. But, they never have anyone that can't help in the work process because of medical problems and not many friends are they are up in age that can't do the work.

• geo says:

I agree Brenda…. I 'd love to see my elderly mother's house get a makeover. Wish that these tv shows didn't always help people that really don't need it. How about people on fixed income that can't afford to water their grass?

20. Brenda says:

Needs lots of drought tolerant plants in land scape and lots of color. Also some grass for the lawn and the dog. Also an entertainment area under the covered area.

21. Robin says:

Just like on the tv programs, young, attractive, very capable couples are chosen to be helped.

• Sue says:

I agree. As a senior citizen I know I wouldn't have a chance of being on the show. Our yard could use a makeover, but I guess our age group is not TV show material!

22. Pamela says:

Ahhhhh, a blank canvas…………..:)

23. Sheila says:

I am looking forward to helping pick out the fun things to make their yard look fantastic.

24. Dee says:

so glad u are helping them as they really do need it.

25. Tanya says:

I so need someone to come update my yards. I have 2 backyards and one front. The ponds need rejuvenation. Walkways are hidden beneath weeds. I need 2 sets of steps or porches. Parents take a lot of time and we can not keep up. This is fun to vote for others. Two acres of yard is too much to keep up on. Sigh!

About Made + Remade Crew

29Posts

Author has not filled out bio yet.