DIY Detox: Make Your Own Aloe Water

how to make your own aloe vera water

If you’ve never enjoyed the benefits of aloe vera, a succulent with nearly magical healing properties, then you must be lucky enough to never have been sunburned. This fair-skinned lass, on the other hand, knows aloe well. I’ve reached for a bottle of the cool gel every time I’ve been sunburned since I was a child, and it always soothes. More recently, I discovered that aloe also can heal your insides — makes sense, right? In fact, according to my handy Whole Foods Companion, when taken internally* aloe can help with circulation and digestion as well as increase energy and aid in recovery from fatigue. And one of the best ways to get these benefits is by drinking aloe water — sounds like a post-holiday detox to me! (Don’t even pretend you weren’t searching for detox recipes after your New Year’s Eve bonanza.) While you can buy ready-made aloe water at health food stores and in the natural foods aisle of most groceries, you can also make your own aloe water pretty easily. All you need is an aloe plant, some lemon juice and water. So go ahead — make yourself a rejuvenating glass of aloe water and start working on those resolutions. Here’s how it’s done.

Start by removing an aloe leaf from the plant near the base using a sharp knife. No worries about hurting the plant — just like it can heal your skin, aloe heals itself, too.

make your own aloe vera water

Now use your knife to split the leaf down the center lengthwise and reveal all those healing juices. To soothe skin, the natural aloe gel can be rubbed directly on, but we’re going to harvest it for the aloe water instead.

how to make aloe vera water

Transfer the gel to a container. And when I say gel, I mean it — this stuff is gooey, and you should just know that going into it. I scooped mine from the leaf using a spoon and put it in a cup, but you could also gently scrape it off with your knife. Just be sure to get the clear gel only and not the yellowy pulp. Note: Don’t try to skip this step and use off-the-shelf aloe vera gel unless it’s clearly labeled as edible aloe.

make your own aloe vera water

Mix the aloe gel with water and lemon juice using a blender. I didn’t measure out exactly but can estimate that I used a ratio of about 2 tablespoons each of aloe gel and lemon juice to one cup of water. The lemon juice and the high-speed blending helps to cut the gelatinous texture of the aloe. Blend for a minute or more.

make your own aloe vera water

Drink up. Easy, huh? You shouldn’t taste much beyond the lemon, though the mixture will have a slightly thicker feel than regular lemon water. If you’re not feeling the plain aloe water, you can also add the aloe to amp up your green smoothies. Now how’s your headache? Happy New Year!

* The Whole Foods Companion also cautions pregnant women and diabetics not to take aloe vera internally, so I wanted to be sure and repeat the warning here.

If you don’t already have an aloe plant of your own, check out some of these beyond-basic aloe varieties. I’m thinking ‘Marco’ is my favorite. Ooh, or maybe ‘Sunset.’ What’s yours?

29 Responses

1. new year says:

I am thankful for the article.Really looking forward to read more.new year 2016 happy new year 2016 ml

2. dewws says:

I just discovered this site and am looking forward to doing this study. I feel as though it was gift wrapped and sent with my name on it! As someone who suffers from anxious and critical thoughts, it is encouraging to know I am not alone in these struggles. I am encouraged to know truth and stay focused on it! http://talkingmoosemedia.com/the-venus-factor-rev

3. visit here says:

I use aloe water for colitis. It does help. I really dont love the taste, but i still drink it anyways. If you add a little bit of ginger, i does seem to taste a little better. Ginger is pretty good for your digestive system as well. -http://talkingmoosemedia.com/the-venus-factor-reviews/

4. visit here says:

Read on the internet it was good for acid reflux so bought a bottle at the health food store. Went from taking a "pill" every day (which wasn't working) to a couple capfuls maybe once a week – IT WORKS and is natural! – See more at: http://blog.diynetwork.com/maderemade/2014/01/01/

5. Mia says:

I mentioned this detox water drinks here, a very useful, beneficial and very easy to prepare detox water.

6. Mia says:

Easy and yet very Useful for Everybody, I blogged about this detox water drinks here.

7. John Smith says:

Outsourced IT Services

8. Maia Pickett says:

Great DIY aloe water. Thank you for the tutorial.
    I shared this post on DIY best posts.

9. Caribbean Chick says:

This has been something we in the Caribbean/Barbados have been doing. Our grandmothers use to make us drink this, its helps with cleaning out your body. She would keep it in the fridge in a bottle. We never drank it with lemon water. Just water and aloe.

• Pearl says:

Hey Caribbean chick, How much did grandmamma mix with water and how long did it take to react. Any cramps?

• Julian Falgons says:

Hey Pearl,
        A Jamaican gentleman taught me to make it with the insides of one whole leaf and the water from a coconut. All together it typically makes about 48 ozs of detox. Been doing this for over 2 years and have been reaping the beenfits. Although no one except a doctor can tell you all of the benefits, my hair (says my stylist), skin (says everyone!), and nails are all healthier. I am leaner, visibly more vascular, and barely scar when injured. Although aloe like this can "clean you out," from my experience I've never had to run to the bathroom and the bm's have been smooth. Good Luck!

10. Brenda says:

I got an aloe water drink from the health food store. The taste was pleasant, but my skin became extra sensitive after drinking it. My suggestion is check with a doctor before drinking anything with aloe.

11. trenna says:

I use aloe water for colitis. It does help. I really dont love the taste, but i still drink it anyways. If you add a little bit of ginger, i does seem to taste a little better. Ginger is pretty good for your digestive system as well. http://venusfactorreview.me

12. I have all of these but one and that's turnip greens as haven't seen them sold like that. I still juice here and there and add wheat grass or spirilina. Just started to leave the wine off for a bit. For more information on how to detox safely and easily, try out http://betterthanhcgdiet.com/

13. Sheri McNamara says:

Do you think it would help heal stomach ulcers?

• kellysmtrimble says:

Hi Sheri, I really can't say. That's something you'd really have to talk about with your doctor.

• MarioJ says:

Hello Sheri,

yes, it does heal stomach ulcers. What I recommend you to do for this issue, get you some fresh aloe vera, cut the gel in little rectangles (you can find on the internet how to take it out, it is really easy) and drink it like if it was a capsule everyday with a little in the morning with an empty stomach. You can cut the rectangles and put them in the fridge to keep them, and take one every morning.

Best regards,

MJ

14. Pat says:

15. Jeanette,

I've drank it (store bought) for a week without any issues. I'm sure each person is different and some may be more sensitive to aloe.

16. terry says:

My family plants aloe near the doorway so it is quick to break off a piece when someone gets a burn in the kitchen. Best burn remedy ever. Just slide the cut end juices over the burn. Often not even redness the next day.

17. jeanette says:

It is interesting that i had searched this topic a few days ago. One article said aloe can cause diarrhea. I just wanted to hear from someone that had drank it before. How long/often have you drank it and have you had any negative experience? Also, i mix my aloe with coconut oil and rub on my face and body.

• MarioJ says:

Hello Jeanette, aloe vera can cause diarrhea because it has a substance in between the skin and the gel that it is used a laxative, which is called aloin. This substance is of a yellow color, which turns dark purple after being outside for a couple of hours, and its taste is sour.

Best regards,

MJ

18. Nancy says:

Did "Whole Foods Companion" say WHY diabetics should not ingest aloe?

• kellysmtrimble says:

Hi Nancy, No, they didn't say why, and I wouldn't want to make any guesses. If you're concerned, checking with your doctor would be the best bet. Thanks and Happy New Year!

• Howard says:

This caught my attention too Kelly. Never thought of aloe juice as particularly high in sugar but I'll have to find out before trying it.

• MarioJ says:

Hello Howard and Kelly, I've researched a lot about aloe vera plant and I have seen through many research papers that it regulates the blood sugar levels. I'm a person that uses aloe vera for different issues, and have testimony of different people that actually had "miracles" using it. Please if you would like to know any more about it, let me know.

Best regards,

MJ

19. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe out! I love aloe and they are so easy to grow and maintain. For those without a green thumb, don't worry aloe is almost impossible to kill. This seems like a good year round tonic even if you haven't "over done it".

• kellysmtrimble says:

Haha, yes, I agree — not just for those post-party days, but for every day! The only thing I've seen aloe is freezing weather. I left a plant out too late this fall and it bit the dust after the second or so freeze.

• memgt says:

The plant will grow back even after a winter freeze it is a wonder plant. keep it hydrated and it will grow. Mine stay outside all year and get brittle and crispy. but after the winter the sun comes out and after watering for a week and leaving for another two weeks with out water it starts to grow and turn green again.

About Kelly Smith Trimble

69Posts

I grow vegetables wherever I can find enough sunlight and forage roadsides and hiking trails for plants that can be used to make natural dyes. You can find both vintage ...

More About Kelly Smith Trimble