DIY Headboards: 53 Original Ideas for Easy Style

How to Build a Headboard From an Old Picket Fence

My favorite headboard on the site is made from scrap wood and an old picket fence.

This is hard to believe now, but for too many years, the only headboard project we featured on DIYNetwork.com was made from chain-link. It’s still here, with a cult following, even rumored to have been tweeted by an edgy celebrity highlighting, ahem, alternative styling rather than the original design, which was for a boy’s room.

Recent years have seen a sea change in headboard projects, videos, styles and options. And with the upcoming holidays bringing bedrooms and guest rooms into focus, why not take the opportunity to build the headboard you’ve been wanting (or at least steal the look)?

If price is your main concern, but you still want projects that are fun to put together with original styles, then look no further than below, where tree branches, reclaimed wood and even T-shirts can be converted into conversation pieces — explaining why this headboard gallery is also our most popular.

Reclaimed and reused objects are perfect mediums for headboards, where screens, signs and shutters — among other items — can transform into headboards simply by mounting them on the wall.

Practical and chic, there are a number of ideas for headboards that bring a sophisticated feel to a room with materials like fabric, bookshelves and framed artwork.

Bold style statements can be made through rustic painted wood (our most popular headboard how-to), nails and canvas board or bright paint with decals. You can even make a slipcover for an existing headboard, and of course all these headboard projects are easy on your budget.

I hope highlighting these photo galleries makes finding your DIY headboard inspiration easier, and if you need more ideas you can always take a look at the 2,057-and-counting(!) Rate My Space headboards. Below, Dan Faires demonstrates the ease of creating a high-end-esque headboard with just painter’s canvas and carpet tacks.

13 Responses

1. Bettye says:

I have a high oak queen size headboard that I love but I am considering getting a king size bed frame and mattress. Does anyone have any ideas as to how oak boards can be attached to the sides of the headboard to make it wider so the frame can be attached to it?

2. Trish says:

My hub doesn't say much about design. However, he's upset that we have one twin bed without a headboard. THIS will do it. Thank you for the presentation.

3. Jill Johanningmeier says:

Why are there no corner headboards? In the last 10 years we've seen many beds set in the corner of a room, but there's just a black hole between the bed and the corner. Why hasn't someone made a triangular headboard to fit in this space? If the front panels were doors, there could be storage inside. And adding a power strip to the top would mean your alarm clock, or a lamp for reading could be added.

• Carol says:

We turned our corner TV stand into a headboard for my sons room. Then stored Christmas decorations in the lower part so we only had to move the bed away a couple times a year. We added shelves in the upper part for storage for him. It has doors to close to cover any clutter.

4. Michele Purcell says:

Headboards! Always brainstorming. Thanks for all these great ideas.

5. jean says:

I love the look and ideas you gave! I have a problem with a headboard that I have not been able to solve. I bought a padded king headboard that came with a suede like zip on cover . I had a Tuscany style tapestry that I cut open the bottom hem and slid over the headboard. Looks great. Problem is my storebought headboard that I attached to the bedframe is floppy. The only suggestion I have seen on line is to hang headboard on the wall. Problem is, my bed is between 2 windows and goes over enough that the frame goes over on window trim. I am not sure how to make the headboard sturdy. Frustrating because my ultra easy solution for a headboard worked but the headboard itself isn't working.

• Pink pliers says:

I solved this problem by attaching rubber "feet" strategically around the back of the headboard before hanging it on the wall. They hold the headboard evenly away from the wall and if they are big enough should clear your window molding.

6. babtex49 says:

i just lave all the different headboards. my husband made us one with wood and stained it brown. they I purchased an antique dresser and mirror. the bedroom looks great. however, my mother-in-law has moved in with us so she is now using that bedroom and now I want him to make another one for our guest room and my bedroom, but he is older now (not much) but the hours he works at home depot I bet that project will never get accomplished.

7. Tonya says:

Love them all, just wish I had more bedrooms!

8. Suzy says:

Love the bookshelves idea! I have too much small unique items that I don't want stored in a drawer. This idea would give me the extra space I need as well as organize the room :) .

9. Great ideas! I like creative headboards pictures! Very amazing. Thanks for the wonderful share!

10. Joey says:

That first picture headborad is my favorite one also. It's very original stylist one and I'm glad to learn such easy ideas to decor some DIY headboard. To me that video instruction is very helpful.

About Watson Hawkins

14Posts

I’m the Brand Manager for DIYNetwork.com. Outside of the office, I love digging around vintage shops to find stuff for our home, lovingly described as “’70s-Kitsch” style. I’m blessed with ...

More About Watson Hawkins