Blogger Challenge: Decorate the HGTV Holiday House Fireplace Mantel

The mantel at HGTV Holiday House

Sneak peek: Here’s the mantel at HGTV Holiday House before being decorated. The style is sleek, simple and modern, with plenty of space above for a flat-screen TV.

A few months ago, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores asked Made + Remade to host a Blogger Challenge in which five bloggers — three regular M+R contributors and two more popular crafting bloggers — could pitch their design ideas for the mantel at HGTV Holiday House. We shared the inspiration board for Holiday House with each of the bloggers, and they created mantel decorations using products from their local Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store, among other items.

We were so excited to see the results of this Blogger Challenge. And it was really hard keeping them a secret — until now, because we’re thrilled to (finally!) share the five bloggers’ Christmas mantel designs with you. You can browse through the designs here and find links to each blogger’s mantel post below.

But there’s still a little secret we have to keep. You’ll have to wait until October 15 to find out whose winning design inspired the mantel decorations at HGTV Holiday House.

POST UPDATE (10/15/13): We have a mantel design challenge winner! The HGTV Holiday House design team chose Amy Bell’s luxe and rustic look to inspire the mantel decor. Congratulations, Amy! The team had a hard time choosing and loved all the bloggers’ ideas, so they were excited to incorporate some additional projects around the fireplace and in other spots in the house. See Amy’s mantel design in the HGTV Holiday House mantel photo gallery and more Made + Remade bloggers’ projects in this round-up of rustic-chic decorating ideas.

Tell us: What’s your favorite mantel design?

Emily’s Natural and Sophisticated Mantel

Kim’s Rustic Winter Wonderland Christmas Mantel

Hannah’s Wintry Mantel With Vintage Style

Amy’s Luxe and Rustic Christmas Mantel

Ellen’s Whimsical Mantel With Natural and Coastal Touches

Leave your comments below and in the comments section of each post.

Brought to you by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, where ideas and inspiration come together for a Simply Creative Christmas.

61 Responses

1. liz says:

Kim's mantel is nicest…agree would love to see more

2. jane hill says:

For my taste, none of them hit the mark….they seemed too modern and would not work in my rustic NC cabin. I would have preferred something more traditional and that filled the mantel more.

3. wanda box says:

only I say joy if I win a dream home or a smart home and that were I've be joyful and happy.

4. Page says:

Hannah!! Love the "mercury glass" and I'm all about joy in our lives.
    Then Kim. Those trees were so clever. Love it!
    All were so creative, well done!

5. Cindy says:

I love Kim's rustic, simple and sweet

6. Roxy says:

I like Amy's mantel the best!

7. Colleen says:

Emily’s Natural and Sophisticated Mantel is the best by far. Perfect balance of enhanced décor and expressing seasonal joy without being too Spartan or too over-the-top.

8. Laura says:

I love Kim's mantel the best!

9. Carrie says:

Just gorgeous! In love with Kim’s Rustic Winter Wonderland Christmas Mantel! Those spoon trees are amazing!

10. Jillian says:

Kim takes rustic to a whole new level by making it warm, classic, and also modern.

11. Beth says:

Kim Wilson's mantel is by far my favorite.

12. Rustic Winter Wonderland is my choice. Such creativity with the mantle. I really loved the plastic spoons for the trees and I will try to create this our mantle this holiday season. Fantastic Job Kim!

13. Cheryl says:

Amy and Kim's are my fave. The link to Hannah's didn't work.

14. I love Kim's Rustic Winter Wonderland! The neutral color palette and great DIYs would make this great mantel work in so many homes. Great job!!

15. Kristie Kern says:

My vote is for Kim's Rustic Winter Wonderland — those spoon trees are such a clever idea!

16. bird says:

LOVE Kim's Rustic Mantle!! The ideas are so easy and look so classy and contemporary too, despite the rustic charm.

17. Chris says:

I love the rustic comfort {and burlap} of Kim's mantel.

18. Renee Templeton says:

I like all of them, but Kim's is my favorite!

19. [...] Christmas right now, I’d love for you to hop over anyway. You can view all five designs and vote for your favorite between now and October 14. And if you feel like leaving a little comment love [...]

20. [...] Made + Remade are sharing the designs that five bloggers were invited to submit for their HGTV Holiday House Mantel Blogger Challenge. Check out the impressive ideas here and offer up your favorite [...]

21. Susan says:

Love the trees made with plastic spoons!

22. TwoCorgis says:

My favorite is Ellen’s Whimsical Mantel With Natural and Coastal Touches. I really liked the way she used the moss and the parchment paper. I wouldn't block off my fireplace with the birch logs (especially not in winter), but I did love the way it looked.

23. Janet says:

They are all nice. I like Kim's Rustic Winter Wonderland as #1 of the four designs.

24. [...] Visit link: HGTV Holiday House Fireplace Mantel Decorations | Made + Remade [...]

25. Jazmin says:

I like Kim's rustic winter wonderland Christmas mantel !!

About Kelly Smith Trimble

66Posts

I grow vegetables wherever I can find enough sunlight and forage roadsides and hiking trails for plants that can be used to make natural dyes. You can find both vintage ...

More About Kelly Smith Trimble