Blogger Challenge: Decorate the HGTV Holiday House Fireplace Mantel

The mantel at HGTV Holiday House

Sneak peek: Here’s the mantel at HGTV Holiday House before being decorated. The style is sleek, simple and modern, with plenty of space above for a flat-screen TV.

A few months ago, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores asked Made + Remade to host a Blogger Challenge in which five bloggers — three regular M+R contributors and two more popular crafting bloggers — could pitch their design ideas for the mantel at HGTV Holiday House. We shared the inspiration board for Holiday House with each of the bloggers, and they created mantel decorations using products from their local Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store, among other items.

We were so excited to see the results of this Blogger Challenge. And it was really hard keeping them a secret — until now, because we’re thrilled to (finally!) share the five bloggers’ Christmas mantel designs with you. You can browse through the designs here and find links to each blogger’s mantel post below.

But there’s still a little secret we have to keep. You’ll have to wait until October 15 to find out whose winning design inspired the mantel decorations at HGTV Holiday House.

POST UPDATE (10/15/13): We have a mantel design challenge winner! The HGTV Holiday House design team chose Amy Bell’s luxe and rustic look to inspire the mantel decor. Congratulations, Amy! The team had a hard time choosing and loved all the bloggers’ ideas, so they were excited to incorporate some additional projects around the fireplace and in other spots in the house. See Amy’s mantel design in the HGTV Holiday House mantel photo gallery and more Made + Remade bloggers’ projects in this round-up of rustic-chic decorating ideas.

Tell us: What’s your favorite mantel design?

Emily’s Natural and Sophisticated Mantel

Kim’s Rustic Winter Wonderland Christmas Mantel

Hannah’s Wintry Mantel With Vintage Style

Amy’s Luxe and Rustic Christmas Mantel

Ellen’s Whimsical Mantel With Natural and Coastal Touches

Leave your comments below and in the comments section of each post.

Brought to you by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, where ideas and inspiration come together for a Simply Creative Christmas.

61 Responses

1. Dana says:

Kim's ! Reminds me of Christmas past .

2. martremmel says:

I don't like any of them! We need more options than just the rustic or crafty look.

3. Tania says:

Hannah's is my favorite. Love how she used texture and light.

4. Jan says:

Hannah's and Kim's. I like wintery scene's you can leave them up longer.

5. Kathi says:

Hannah!

6. Janis Conard says:

Each were beautiful. My favorite is Amy's Mantel. I like the deep blue contrast.

7. Amy says:

Amy is the clear winner!

8. Betty says:

I love Kim mantel best! It is beautiful!!! To me it resembles an "Old Fashioned Christmas"

9. Anna says:

I like Amy’s Luxe and Rustic Christmas Mantel…

10. Toria Davis says:

The Whimsical Christmas Mantel by Ellen Foord is my favorite. It has the classic warmth of Christmas with the birch, but then the garlands add the whimsical touch.

11. Shjeryl says:

I really love Hannah's and Kim's mantel designs. I wish I could see more of Kim's though, as in the whole mantel shown. Hannah's is one of my favs because it has a more random feel, while still staying balanced. Very nicely done. All mantel designs have elements that are awesome though.

12. [...] Made + Remade are sharing the designs that five bloggers were invited to submit for their HGTV Holiday House Mantel Blogger Challenge. Check out the impressive ideas here and offer up your favorite [...]

13. Jill k says:

Love Amy's design the best!

14. Pam says:

Each one is very nicely designed. My favorite is Ellen’s Whimsical Mantel With Natural and Coastal Touches — maybe because I'm in the spirit of coastal homes right now for some reason :-)

15. Kathy E. says:

They are all lovely and creative, but Amy's Luxe and Rustic is the one I'd choose for my own mantle. I really like the mix of textures she's incorporated and the colors are so soothing to the soul. The shapes are basic, but a great variety and the pieces keep the eye moving. This arrangement could be set up all winter, minus the stockings!

16. Carrie says:

Amy's mantel

17. Cathy D says:

The Birch is interesting but I would not have access to birch to do it. I loved Amy's Luxe and Rustic. They all did a great job!

18. Kelly O. says:

I do believe that out of all of them Amy Bell's Mantel is my favourite, although they all had elements that I loved…

NOTE: Kim Byer's link on this post is not working

19. Kiki Bacaro says:

Amy's Luxe & Rustic is absolutely gorgeous. Great job!!

20. @RASnyder7 says:

Amy’s Luxe and Rustic Christmas Mantel is my favorite—especially because of the feather details on the stockings. I love mixing in those peacock feathers with the rustic look!

21. Kari says:

I adore Amy's Luxe & Rustic Christmas. The perfect combination of home and homemade.

22. Michelle says:

Definitely Amy's Luxe & Rustic Christmas Mantel!!!!! Gorgeous.

23. Olga says:

I loved Amy’s Luxe and Rustic Christmas Mantel!!! Looks festive and at the same time simple.

24. Rachel says:

Birch logs is the best!

25. [...] the course of the next two weeks, HGTV is giving YOU the chance to give your input on which of the five mantel designs is your favorit… and then one of the lucky designers will see her design come to life in the 2013 HGTV Holiday [...]

About Kelly Smith Trimble

65Posts

I grow vegetables wherever I can find enough sunlight and forage roadsides and hiking trails for plants that can be used to make natural dyes. You can find both vintage ...

More About Kelly Smith Trimble