Reuse Spice Jars to Collect and Store Seeds

A few of my favorite plants are best grown by seed. Growing plants from seed requires a little patience but the reward is great. Seeing the little seed sprouts and watching the plants grow daily reminds me to appreciate every day.

Every fall and then again in the spring, I set out to grow standing cypress, black-eyed Susans, purple coneflower, evening primrose, butterfly weed, as well as other wildflower species and native grasses in a variety of places in my garden. In both seasons, I like to sprinkle the seeds into planters, in the miniature meadow in my front yard, in flower borders around the yard to help fill in the empty spots, and in a starter bed to grow plants for friends. After the plants grow, flower, and go to seed, usually in fall, I’ll harvest the seeds, scatter some and store the others over winter, then start the process over.

Collecting and storing the seeds is easy with recycled spice and herb jars. The shaker tops come in handy when I sow the seeds. Just match the shaker top openings to the seed size, and they are ready to go. I make simple labels with construction paper, an attractive font, and a piece of tape or spot of glue. If the spice jar/seed shakers don’t make it to a storage bin, they don’t look half bad left on the windowsill.

Got a thing for wildflowers? Get more inspiration here:

How to Grow a Wildflower Garden

Tips for Planting a Meadow

How to Patch a Wildflower Meadow

8 Wildflower Plants to Try

21 Responses

1. This is a well written article on this subject. I have been looking at starting a new business and this is valuable information to help me in my decision. Thank you so much for shearing and keep it up. blue race car toddler bed

2. AsharSeo says:

i will come back for future posts. Also check out this cool similar site i found recently…on demand storage containers

3. AsharSeo says:

tested on his own children) be adopted by UK educational establishments…printers for computers

4. davidjohn051 says:

which he said he tried and tested on his own children) be adopted by UK educational establishments. -kilo vermek, hızlı kilo verme

5. AsharSeo says:

It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations..rechargeable led work lights

6. Its wonderful blog really very nice site and blog facility.every title is very nice and very fatastic concept. Thanks for sharing the information. Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations mobile shredding service

7. requiring that standards of air tightness in new properties are both achieved and proven by the means of Air leakage Testing and an air leakage test certificate. discount ramps coupon code

8. @JoeyRegan6 says:

Growing plants from seed requires a little patience but the reward is great. Seeing the little seed sprouts and watching the plants grow daily reminds me to appreciate every day. Porsche servicing

9. @JoeyRegan6 says:

I’ll harvest the seeds, scatter some and store the others over winter, then start the process over. – See more at: <a href="http://blog.diynetwork.com/maderemade/2013/05/31/reuse-spice-jars-to-collect-and-store-seeds/#sthash.ELLK5Dsp.dpufhttp://blog.diynetwork.com/maderemade/2013/05/31/… href=”http://www.loftmasters.co.uk/” target=”_blank”>loft conversions london

10. People set up different events where these people gather in order to celebrate their own lives as well as share their own life experiences.. flash drives wholesale bulk

11. boss our complete working life can be a thing regarding past. With your current fast-paced international economy, office storage containers

12. AsharSeo says:

Workers Against Discrimination Act is step in the right direction and NWLC urges…PDF Links.twenty

13. The introduction of the Protecting Older Workers Against Discrimination Act is step in the right direction and NWLC urges..Best forex broker in united states

14. @aarijali100 says:

for my best friend's wedding using old wine bottles…and it turned out amazin – See more at: natural seo backlink services

15. AsharSeo says:

if you need a span to be square at all times, even when the responsive resizing is done. ….psd to html

16. AsharSeo says:

40th Birthday Party Ideas
    it's width. It's not really bootstrap specific, but it's helpful for spans if you need a span to be square at all times, even when the responsive resizing is done. – Greg Aziz

17. AsharSeo says:

Pretty fantastic post. you need informations about I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your weblog posts . Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon Thanks:) – Greg Aziz

18. Cindy says:

Love this idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Cindy @ Upcycled Design Lab

19. @mena99260 says:

wedding decor for my best friend's wedding using old wine bottles…and it turned out amazing. – gripeezreviews.com

20. john says:

I recently DIYed the wedding decor for my best friend's wedding using old wine bottles…and it turned out amazing. Read This

About Michelle Reynolds

48Posts

I’m a slipcover maker who refuses to fill the trash with the cutaway bits of designer fabrics, so I strive to make use of every scrap. I live with my ...

More About Michelle Reynolds