How to Choose a Respirator

Springtime implies home improvement around these parts—the kind of home improvement where we’re sanding, staining, refinishing, peeling and painting everything that we couldn’t get our hands on during the winter months.

The common dust mask has always been my BFF in doing most of these projects (good ventilation and eye protection are also a must depending on what you’re doing), but this year I’ve been doing my research, and instead of spending another $5 on a 3-pack of thin cotton dust masks, I’m going heavy-duty.

Here’s the low-down on why:

The dust masks I’ve always bought and used are good for a myriad of purposes: dusting, sweeping, pollen, the light-duty dust mites. I’m guilty of the “better this than nothing” mentality. What they don’t do, though, is protect my lungs from the more intense projects I find myself undertaking: the insulating, sanding, sawing, staining and spray painting. Never mind that I can get a pack of 50 dust masks for about $12 at any big box store—if they aren’t protecting us from what we need protecting from, it hardly seems worth it.

How to find the best respirator for your DIY project.

To improve upon my simple dust mask, I began looking into higher quality respirators. For the kind of common household work and projects that I undertake, here are two that I decided upon. Hopefully knowing more about the differences in respirators will help you too!

A short step up from my simple dust mask is this respiratory shield with an exhalation valve. Similarly made of cotton (read: not washable and needs to be replaced more frequently), this mask is OSHA and NIOSH N95 rated and equipped to better seal around your face while providing an exhalation valve right on the front to help with cooler, easier breathing. I am happy with the fit, but still can’t wear it easily without fogging up my current eye gear. It will help to protect my nose/mouth/lungs while sanding and sawing wood, cutting and sanding drywall, and installing fiberglass insulation. I paid $4 for mine.

Respirator with exhalation valve for sawing, sanding, and installing insulation

I went for one more step up on the lung-health too, also choosing a respirator specially recommended for users of paints and pesticides. Its cartridges and filters cover me when it comes to preventing the inhalation of the spray paint molecules, and would be favorable for use when I’m spraying areas around my house for spring insects or mid-summer surprise beehive attacks. Priced at $30, it’s a longer-term investment that can last for a long time with proper care, since you can swap out the cartridges and filters themselves inexpensively and keep the face frame for years. A few options I found were for sale at our local Home Depot; check out this product and this product if you’d like to compare.

Comfortable fit with this painting and pesticide-rated respirator.

There are other respirators that filter airborne chemicals with even more precision—consider them if you are looking to do home maintenance involving acidic cleaning agents, ammonia, or lead and asbestos, as masks meeting those filtration needs must meet OSHA and NIOSH P100. You can find respirators suiting this bill for not that much more money.  I found a few multipurpose models starting at just $40, with pricing going up as high as $200.

19 Responses

1. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.Best forex broker in united states

2. AsharSeo says:

Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon Thanks:) ….psd to html

3. AsharSeo says:

Pretty fantastic post. you need informations about I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your weblog posts . Anyway I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon Thanks:) – Greg Aziz

4. The primacy of education is evident from the theories of intellectuals of world. The social and psychological aspects of life are dealt better through education. The soft or latent matters of life are guided with educational theories.

5. lucas duplan says:

A respirator is a device designed to protect the wearer from inhaling harmful dusts, fumes, vapors, or gases. Respirators come in a wide range of types and sizes used by the military, private industry, and the public.

6. pleake2014 says:

I like your posts. Please keep the great work ! http://www.mcdonalds-gutscheine-november.info/gut

7. limo hire says:

Current limousines might be made from pretty much any kind of auto. Probably the most prominent in Limo Hire Hummers, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar and even transports that have been changed over to suit vast gatherings.

8. Education is a big source of revolutions in the world. It brings the revolutions in the life of an individual or in the society. Due to education we have reached to the present age of science and technologies.

9. There are other respirators that filter airborne chemicals with even more precision—consider them if you are looking to do home maintenance involving acidic cleaning agents, ammonia

10. property management says:

I was also searching for the same information regarding respirators and how to properly them.It play important role while performing as property management. role.

11. It is obvious that this flight was not subjected to same security standards as flights destined to say, St. Louis or Dallas.” The statement read.

12. Many useful and informative material uses in essay by top essay services, I noticed that many user find out the solution of their problem while working with professional experts of company.

13. Many useful and informative material uses in essay by top essay services, I noticed that many user find out the solution of their problem while working with professional experts of company.

• john says:

After this lecture several things you need informations about are much more obvious, so I wanted to thank you for these information. Many, many thanks! – Full Article

14. For his next project, Le Corboxier is therefore hoping to adapt the principles of the Innovative Brilliance building to create what he calls an “Amenity Zone:” a series of inward-facing plasma screens

15. Mid USA says:

thanks to sharing this blog its help me alot

16. kara says:

Nice sharing, if you want to buy any kind of hand tools and safety product. You can buy from http://www.erniestools.com/

About Emily Fazio

213Posts

I caught the home improvement bug at an early age, and now I'm a full-time DIYer living in Rochester, NY. The projects I cover on my blog Merrypad range ...

More About Emily Fazio