Time for a Mint Julep

Juleps at a Derby party

Photo by Jeff Romaniuk

Well friends, the first Saturday of May is quickly approaching. Do you know what that means? If your answer was bourbon and a festooned headdress, I like you already! While I am known for taking my bourbon neat, even I can’t resist a mint julep on Derby Day. It is tradition after all!

Mint Juleps at Derby Day party

Photo by Jeff Romaniuk

The mint julep was popularized at the “Old White” (now The Greenbrier, a luxury resort in West Virginia) in the early 1800s. But for nearly a century now, it’s been the signature drink served at Churchill Downs. Can’t get there on Saturday? Here’s how to make your own.

Julep Ingredients

Photo by Jeff Romaniuk

Ingredients
2.5 oz Bourbon
1 Tblsp Simple Syrup
a few sprigs of Mint

Instructions
Muddle your mint and simple syrup in your julep cup or highball glass.
Fill your glass halfway with crushed ice.
Add your bourbon.
Stir to mix. (This is when your julep cup will get frosty.)
Garnish with a mint sprig.

Mint Juleps at a Derby Day party

Photo by Jeff Romaniuk

A few tips:

Choose the right Bourbon:
While Churchill Downs now technically uses a whiskey in their juleps, the traditional julep is made with a Bourbon whiskey. That is a whiskey made in the USA with a specific ratio of grain to corn aged in new oak barrels.

Pick Your Mint:
My friend Billy prefers the Kentucky Colonel variety of mint which I think is rather appropriate for a Derby Day cocktail. But, use whatever variety you prefer.

Muddling:
A ‘muddler’ is a long pestle that’s commonly shaped like a baseball bat. The idea is to use the larger end to mash your ingredients. This will help release the flavor and break up the mint a little bit so it mixes well with your other ingredients.

Make a very Simple Syrup:
Simple syrup is super easy to make. In a small saucepan, mix 1 part water with 1 part sugar. Bring to a boil, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Not sure how quickly you’ll use your simple syrup? Add a little vodka. It doesn’t affect the taste, and will help prolong its life.

Why a Julep Cup?
Julep cups are hard to come by. What makes them special? The silver cups actually have a copper core to keep the contents colder.

Bonus: Want to make Deanne’s fabulous Derby Day hat? Click here to see the How-To!

40 Responses

1. davidjohn051 says:

A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose. – machine shop tools

2. AsharSeo says:

i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future….home improvement stores

3. AsharSeo says:

A lot of us accept customized templates, do something as…storage container rental

4. This continually is amazing to me how bloggers such as yourself can find the time and also the dedication to keep on creating fantastic blog posts. This is wonderful and one of my have to read on the web. I simply want to say thanks acton office trailers

5. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose. …copy machine rental

6. This continually is amazing to me how bloggers such as yourself can find the time and also the dedication to keep on creating fantastic blog posts. This is wonderful and one of my have to read on the web. I simply want to say thanks causes of tmj

7. davidjohn051 says:

Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose. göğüs kanseri

8. AsharSeo says:

9. davidjohn051 says:

changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose. -εργασια θεσσαλονικη

10. Industry and worker needs need to be at the forefront as we create such a code. on site shredding

11. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose….email campaign management

12. Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose… fibromyalgia

About Hannah B. Slaughter

34Posts

I’m a graphic designer for HGTV and DIY who loves taking something old, making it new and then adding sparkle. Weekend activities include thrifting with my handsome husband, writing for ...

More About Hannah B. Slaughter