Make a Unique Stone Picture Frame

I love it when my crafty little escapades leave me with a phenomenal product that I know I’ll have in my home for years to come. My personal aestetic in home decor lends itself to be earthy and natural, and in today’s post I’ll show you how I made a picture frame using a very natural material in a creative application.

The finished piece was inexpensive too (think, <$5), and anyone could make their own interpretation of it with the right resources and inspiration.

Beach shale stone upcycle into a frame.

Keep on reading to learn more about how I made this stone picture frame!

Shale stones–the mothership of the more commonly known “slate”–are in abundance on our local Western New York beaches, and I’ve taken to collecting them over the years. Last spring, I even tiled the entryway of my home in these little black stones, and it’s one of my proudest projects (you can read about it here and here).

I used a few very specific tools and materials for this project, most of which I fortunately had around the house:

• Scrap wood to make a base picture frame
  • Four flat corner braces to assemble the light weight picture frame (this is where I spent the $5)
  • Thinset adhesive for wall and floor tile installation (I already had some from a previous project, but you can get a quart of it pre-mixed for about $6)
  • A wet saw with a diamond blade

I started by creating a simple frame to house a 5″x7″ pane of glass. For this, I used scrap wood, and more specifically, scrap shiplap from a previous project. The piece of scrap shiplap I had happened to be perfect because the rabbeted edge of the board easily serves as an inset area for the frame glass and picture that are being framed. (If you don’t have scrap shiplap laying around your basement, and I don’t expect you do, you can achieve the same inset effect by cutting the edge of a 1x board with a 1/2″ rabbet bit with a router.)

I used flat corner braces to assemble the frame securely (a small $5 investment for convenience). For frames heavier or larger, I usually put trust in biscuits or heavier duty mending strips like shown in this project, but this frame was small and lightweight.

5x7 picture frame assembled using scrap shiplap and corner braces.

Once the frame was made, I selected a bunch of rocks from my stash. The thinner, larger stones worked best.

Beach shale upcycle.

I wasn’t actually sure how well the wet saw would cut through irregular stones; I took a chance, set the saw to cut slivers measuring 1.5 cm wide, covered my eyes and ears and started trying. Cuts like butter.

Wet saw to cut flat stones.

Cutting stones with a wet saw in a cold basement on a 29 degree day wasn’t the coziest idea, but in a short hour I managed to get enough pieces trimmed to cover the whole front of the frame. I dry fit the pieces periodically to gauge how many I would need.

Dry fitting the shale on the picture frame.

If you’ve never used a wet saw before, you should be forewarned that it’s always messy, and you usually end up looking like you soiled yourself heavily, but it’s easy to use once you get the hang of it, just like a table saw with a spraying fountain attached.

Wet saw aftermath.

I digress. With the stones washed and air dried, I began attaching them to the wooden frame with leftover thinset adhesive, the same kind of adhesive used for installing floor and wall tiles. I used a trowel and buttered it on the frame liberally so that the stones would have something to grasp onto.

Beginning to adhere the stone slivers to the wooden frame.

I really liked how in repetition, the pieces of cut shale on end looked a lot like stacked flagstone.

Shale picture frame that looks like flagstone.

The frame itself was left to dry overnight before I inserted the glass panel on the back and a picture from our personal collection.

Shale picture frame DIY.

I attached a wire on the back using the flat brackets for convenience once again, and we’ve since been enjoying it in our home.

Shale picture frame DIY.

I thought it was appropriate that the frame contain me and my parents (circa 1980′s) since the stones were from their beach. We ordered some new 5×7′s from our recent honeymoon that can update the frame over time.

Shale picture frame DIY.

Catching the home improvement bug at an early age, Emily Winters is a now a devoted DIYer living in Rochester, NY. The projects she covers on her blog Merrypad range from painting a wall to building a deck, so it’s only natural she landed at DIYNetwork.com. You can follow Emily on twitter at @merrypad and like her on facebook at facebook.com/merrypad.

57 Responses

1. Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! forklift certificate

2. ajohn1070 says:

Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purposeheavy equipment

3. davidjohn051 says:

Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! office supply stores

4. AsharSeo says:

i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future..home improvement magazines

5. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose!moving storage containers

6. This continually is amazing to me how bloggers such as yourself can find the time and also the dedication to keep on creating fantastic blog posts. This is wonderful and one of my have to read on the web. I simply want to say thanks portable building kits

7. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose!..copy machine

8. you are making your first steps into their magical realm of folkloric musical theater, a telling fortune says . natural cures for tmj

9. AsharSeo says:

10. AsharSeo says:

<a href="http://www.laundromatinee.com/sessions/video_session_faun_fableshttp://www.laundromatinee.com/sessions/video_sess… href=”http://gogetfunding.com/project/funding-for-lighting-consultants” target=”_blank”>12 volt led lights

11. Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose… secure paper shredding

12. davidjohn051 says:

Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! -γανοδερμα

13. AsharSeo says:

find out some more information as my friend need information on this topic..email marketing book

14. AsharSeo says:

A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! ..standard homeopathic company

15. Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose… fibromyalgia pain relief

16. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. shipping codes

17. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose!..top testosterone supplements

18. some of the symptoms that occur in pendidap blood sugar disease, among others medical marijuana tucson

19. AsharSeo says:

please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! ..Tammy Download free Full HD

20. Can we accept the changes please? A lot of us accept customized templates, do something for that purpose! bulk usb flash drives

21. AsharSeo says:

22. AsharSeo says:

like to find out some more information as my friend need information on this topic …emergency air conditioning

23. I am interested in this topic and would like to find out some more information as my friend need information on this topic – dui lawyers southern california

About Emily Fazio

217Posts

I caught the home improvement bug at an early age, and now I'm a full-time DIYer living in Rochester, NY. The projects I cover on my blog Merrypad range ...

More About Emily Fazio