To Backsplash Or Not To Backsplash?

I’ve done a lot of work on my kitchen over the last 6-months. The most noticeable improvements being that I stained the oak cabinets a rich, java brown, and upgraded the laminate countertops to a white acrylic, but despite having completed those two ambitious projects, there’s still one thing lingering on our minds: Do we need to have a backsplash?

Finished kitchen without a backsplash.

I can’t decide whether a backsplash is essential in a kitchen, because these days I don’t see many kitchens that aren’t fit with a backsplash as either an extension of the countertop, or as a tiled wall surface. Is there something aesthetically missing from my current kitchen (shown above), or would you just tell me that the tomato sauce is going to stain my white walls?

I suppose I’m writing about it here hoping to hash it out with other home improvement enthusiasts. Is a backsplash necessary from a functional standpoint? Or will a well-sealed countertop edge and a coat of semi-gloss paint that wipes clean easily suffice?

As I argue with myself relentlessly, I also take the time to investigate other options that I could do myself, and this photo gallery really has me thinking.

What’s your take on the idea of a backsplash? If you have any inspiring photos or have seen inspired backsplash projects, please post links in the comments, I will be looking for good ideas!

Catching the home improvement bug at an early age, Emily Winters is a now a devoted DIYer living in Rochester, NY. The projects she covers on her blog Merrypad range from painting a wall to building a deck, so it’s only natural she landed at DIYNetwork.com. You can follow Emily on twitter at @merrypad and like her on facebook at facebook.com/merrypad.

52 Responses

1. davidjohn051 says:

Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term, – ergasia thessaloniki

2. AsharSeo says:

Estes from back during Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died,….email marketing conference

3. AsharSeo says:

died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term …testosterone injections side effects

4. AsharSeo says:

Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011…Maleficent Download free Full HD

5. davidjohn051 says:

It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term, – attorneys dui

6. AsharSeo says:

died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term..warehouse air conditioning

7. AsharSeo says:

Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term …online seed bank

8. davidjohn051 says:

Harold Estes from back during Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term, -subcontractors

9. AsharSeo says:

died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term….custom mobile office trailers

10. davidjohn051 says:

Harold Estes from back during Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term, -exercise bench

11. AsharSeo says:

12. AsharSeo says:

13. davidjohn051 says:

This is an awesome article. Believe it or not, I really was in need of this article. Cause, this information is really rare to find. Thank you man. Accident Claims

14. davidjohn051 says:

Thanks For Information, i Like this Article.. awesomee :D No Win No Fee

15. davidjohn051 says:

Thanks For Information, i Like this Article.. awesomee :D Accident Claim

16. AsharSeo says:

died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term as….free standing punching bag reviews

17. AsharSeo says:

It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011…Free PDF Links

18. davidjohn051 says:

Harold Estes from back during Obama’s first term. It is a very powerful message. Estes died Tuesday May 17, 2011. Now nearing the end of Obama’s second term, do follow backlinks

19. davidjohn051 says:

The question is if you should have a back splash in the kitchen. Answer is Yes! From simply just frying eggs and bacon, you will mess up the wall. Take my advice and either put tile or formica back splash. – - twitters

20. AsharSeo says:

The question is if you should have a back splash in the kitchen. Answer is Yes! From simply just frying eggs and bacon, you will mess up the wall. Take my advice and either put tile or formica back splash. – Our site

About Emily Fazio

217Posts

I caught the home improvement bug at an early age, and now I'm a full-time DIYer living in Rochester, NY. The projects I cover on my blog Merrypad range ...

More About Emily Fazio