Toolsday Giveaway: Win Some DIY Network Swag

Surprisingly, a lot of people knew the identity of last week’s mystery Toolsday tool. It was an old pair of Swiss military snow shoes – perfect for climbing the Alps.

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Tom M, who thought it was a pair of sleds meant for ferrets (I’d like to see that!). Congrats Tom, even though you answered incorrectly, you still win. You have exactly one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.

Next week, we’re going to give away a DIY Network lunch box full of fun and handy DIY swag.

According to Punxsutawney Phil, spring is not far off (wahoo!). We’ve got some DIY projects to give your home a new look for the new season.  Many of these projects you can do on a budget – headboards, window treatments, slipcovers and funky coffee tables – give one a try while you’re still stuck inside.

To win the DIY Network swag, post a comment (click “comment” above) and tell us what these long, skinny things are used for (pictured below).  You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

On Tuesday, February 12, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another prize, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until February 12, 2013, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the swag bag.  
Official Rules.

1,686 Responses

  1. Linda says:

    Center under drawer glides, most American manufactures of furniture (actually made in China) made of wood and coated with silicon to slide easier

  2. Sharon Gabbert says:

    I am with alot of others looks like fancy curtain rods.

  3. Nick says:


  4. Susan R says:

    Something slides into it.

  5. caroline says:

    my guess/comment as to what the mystery item is would be a vintage fountain pen refill lever

  6. Dixie Neitzel says:

    I think they are for hanging curtains up!!!

  7. Mary says:

    parts to spring loaded extension rod

  8. Cheryl says:

    I think they are cabinet drawer guides.

  9. ouida stokes says:

    looks like something you would cover outdoor wiring with.

  10. Kathleen5723 says:

    they are curtain rod extenders

  11. DONNA Kessler says:

    Looks like curtain rods to me.

  12. Frank Balsamo says:

    Lifts, maybe ?

  13. Sarah Z. says:

    Looks like window casing liners.

  14. Roberta L. says:

    Looks like kitchen drawer slides to me.

  15. thepricklypinecone says:

    Are they spare blades for a plain or wood file? Otherwise I am clueless.

  16. James says:

    curtain rods is not correct, but I'll go along with rest of the sheep…N/N

  17. 2walters says:

    It looks like a curtain rod, like most people have said, but I have to disagree on one thing…… If you look at the curved ends on the right side, that doesn't march on the left. My answer would be that it's a tool to help place curtains on those annoying square ended curtain rods. The left end goes into the existing curtain rod and the curved end makes it easier for the person to slide the curtain on.

  18. Heather Bennerman says:

    Used to level out a project

  19. ladyvon5845 says:

    Underdoor or overdoor protectors.

  20. KATHLEEN KTL says:

    Curtain rod extension

  21. Glenda D says:

    Curtain rod extensions.

  22. Paul Folker says:

    Absolutely no clue!

  23. Jennifer Folker says:

    I have no idea

  24. Randy says:

    Used by masons to strike or shape and pack mortar joints between bricks.

  25. Larry says:

    Curtail rod.


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray