Toolsday Giveaway: Win a Set of Clamps and Pliers

To enter last week’s Toolsday’s giveaway, you had to identify twin coil thing-a-ma-bobs in a framed contraption. We had a lot correct answers – most people knew they were hot-air balloon burners. We randomly picked one winner out of all the comments and that lucky person is tacokds whose guess of a gas-torch light was sort of right.  Congrats tacokds, you have one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a C.H. Hanson prize pack that includes 10″ Curved Jaw Automatic Locking Pliers7″ Locking Clamp and 7″ Needle-Nose Pliers. Each tool features Set & Forget technology, ergonomic handles, can lock on any size without adjusting and allows for simple one hand use. 

Christmas is just around the corner. We’ve got fun decorating ideas and DIY projects for every taste and style including midcentury modern, coastal cottage, charming rustic, 60s retro, colorful bohemian and romantic traditional – find one that makes you merry. 

To win the pliers and clamps, post a comment (click “comment” above) and tell us what this part (pictured below) belongs to and what it does. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

On Tuesday, November 20, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until November 20, 2012 at 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the pliers and clamps.  

Official Rules.

1,429 Responses

  1. BettyAnne C. says:

    A bicycle chain derailer, changes gears on a bike

  2. rono says:

    chain sprocket gear thingee

  3. Eliza says:

    Bike Derailer…That is my story and I am sticking to it.

  4. Benjamin Spaulding says:

    Rear derailer for a close ratio (probable road) bike with multiple sprockets on the rear hub.

  5. Murry says:

    Bicycle chain derailleur

  6. Rae says:

    chain block and tackle

  7. JerryDug says:

    Looks like a vintage bicycle rear derailleur used for shifting the chain from one gear to another.

  8. TheresaM says:

    I think it's some kind of gear thing for a bike

  9. rick says:

    Derailer on a multi-speed bike. A good set of pliers is often needed to put the cable tight properly adjust the derailer

  10. SmoknDragon says:

    That is the rear derailleur for a 10 or 12 speed bicycle.

  11. Will says:

    Derailer for a bike.

  12. henry says:

    it's an old time heater unit for those cold garages where heat was limited to "body" I think my father had one in our garage in the UP.

  13. WolfABLe says:

    It's the rear derailleur from a multi/variable speed bicycle – for shifting gears on rear wheel

  14. Nancy says:

    hitch to reel in a sail on a boat

  15. at00 says:

    A chain pulley assembly to lift an engine block

  16. Melissa says:

    Hanging pulley system

  17. Diane S. says:

    Dog tie out mechanism chain guide

  18. crup says:

    pulley system

  19. Lynn says:

    That's the thing that shifts gears on a bicycle.

  20. FredG says:

    Bycycle chain derailer

  21. cathyrwood says:

    chain hoist maybe

  22. liz says:

    don't know

    • shylo57 says:

      I think it is a manual pulley, uses either a rope or chain to pull something heavy, in which you need a little help. Don't know exact name though.

  23. BRUCE D. says:


  24. MIKES_MACHINE says:

    This is a moveable chain-guide, the mechanism to move the chain (derailing) from one sprocket to another on the rear of a Derailleur gear variable-ratio transmission system commonly used on bicycles.

  25. marydz says:

    the innards of a come along?


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray