Tuesday Toolsday: Win a Folding Jamb Saw

Last Toolsday (a.k.a. Tuesday) we asked you to identify a spiked piece of metal with a loop on one end and a cyclinder in the middle. Some people thought it was an ice pick or some type of awl, but most folks correctly guessed that it is a miner’s candlestick.  The big loop is the handle; the cyclinder holds the candle and the sharp end would be hammered into the wall of mine.  

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Melba who thought it was a carpenter’s tool. Congratulations Melba, you’ve got one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.    

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a Swanson’s Savage Folding Jamb/Utility Saw.  This handy-dandy saw can be used for a ton of DIY jobs; cutting drywall, door jambs and trim, woodworking projects, furniture repair, crafts and more. The saw cuts in a straight or angled position, making it easy to get in tight spots and cutting small objects with accuracy. The Savage Saw comes with three blades, but will work with any reciprocating saw blade.

To win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw, take a look at the wood shaper pictured below, it is made to shape a particular type of board, click “comment” above, and tell us what kind of board. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

Did you know you could paint upholstered chairs, curtains, floors and even carpeting?   Also, find new ways to revive old furniture with paint, or how to paint a staircase, ceilings and more

On Tuesday, August 7, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until August 7, 2012, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw.  
Official Rules.

993 Responses

  1. Steven Luker says:


  2. JCATT says:


  3. Lori Weidner says:


  4. [...] Toolsday we posted a photo of a wood shaper that is made to plane a very specific kind of board.  We asked you to name the type of board. We [...]

  5. rickey says:

    hand plane

  6. Jodi says:

    its a wood planer used for the edges of boards or can be used on dry wall to

  7. Dan says:

    A rasp for wood or drywall etc.

  8. liz says:


  9. Lisa Kay says:

    Looks like some type of planer??

  10. Wayne Hicks says:

    A Draw Bar? :-)

  11. Dradz says:

    Surf "Board"

  12. Gabriella Dance says:

    I don't remember the name but I believe it is what you use on the top side of board when making hardwood flooring…. it is what creates it lovely slightly bumpy finish

  13. jajak66 says:

    Door planner

  14. mark says:

    Board trimmer

  15. JoAnn Zimmerman says:

    i don't know

  16. Vincent Gruenbacher says:

    don't know

  17. cindy says:


  18. Clara Caputo says:

    Spanish Cedar board

  19. Dianna Nelson says:

    Need tools for paneling, or poster board

  20. Mary J. says:

    This picture is of a tool for taking thickness out of nose and tail; shaping rails, concaves and the stringer of a surfboard

  21. Barry says:

    surform rasp used to shape surform multi layer materials surfboards

  22. Sylv1anne says:

    Some sot of planer.

  23. JaniceT says:

    Surform Plane used to shape a surfboard.

  24. Jim Noreus says:


  25. Natasha d says:

    Would love to win some tools! =)


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of DIYNetwork.com, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray