Tuesday Toolsday: Win a Folding Jamb Saw

Last Toolsday (a.k.a. Tuesday) we asked you to identify a spiked piece of metal with a loop on one end and a cyclinder in the middle. Some people thought it was an ice pick or some type of awl, but most folks correctly guessed that it is a miner’s candlestick.  The big loop is the handle; the cyclinder holds the candle and the sharp end would be hammered into the wall of mine.  

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Melba who thought it was a carpenter’s tool. Congratulations Melba, you’ve got one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.    

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a Swanson’s Savage Folding Jamb/Utility Saw.  This handy-dandy saw can be used for a ton of DIY jobs; cutting drywall, door jambs and trim, woodworking projects, furniture repair, crafts and more. The saw cuts in a straight or angled position, making it easy to get in tight spots and cutting small objects with accuracy. The Savage Saw comes with three blades, but will work with any reciprocating saw blade.

To win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw, take a look at the wood shaper pictured below, it is made to shape a particular type of board, click “comment” above, and tell us what kind of board. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

Did you know you could paint upholstered chairs, curtains, floors and even carpeting?   Also, find new ways to revive old furniture with paint, or how to paint a staircase, ceilings and more

On Tuesday, August 7, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until August 7, 2012, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw.  
Official Rules.

993 Responses

  1. Darlene says:

    It's for a surfboard

  2. Elaine says:

    bob sled model

  3. sharshee says:

    surform for shaping wood. the specific board you are asking about is a surf board.

  4. Sandra Everett says:

    It is used to plane a board to shape it and make it smooth

  5. budachris says:


  6. roberta henry says:

    A RASP!

  7. Billy Anderson says:

    Surfboard planer.

  8. Christopher Jones says:

    Trim board

  9. Mike Blount says:

    i believe it is a Surf board shaper!

  10. Robert Abramson says:

    I saw this tool used in an auto body shop to shave lead or fiberglass and I saw it used to plane wood by carpenters . The one I have says 'STANLEY surform".

  11. randall f says:

    randall f
    door jam planner

  12. lindsay f says:

    lindsay f
    door jam planner

  13. melissa h says:

    melisa h
    door jam planner

  14. michele f says:

    michele f
    door jam planner

  15. Alexandra K says:

    It looks like a shoehorn to me! :-P But since you say it's used to shape a type of board, I'll say plywood!

  16. Gina says:

    A sheetrock -planer maybe?

  17. Christina Triplett says:


  18. Don McD says:

    drywall cutter and rasp.

  19. Ann Mountain says:

    Just a guess because I really have no clue. Used to shape drywall.

  20. Lila says:

    Its a wood plainer

  21. Frank Polgar says:


  22. Larry says:

    Wallboard/drywall rasp/plane.

  23. J Carpenter says:

    Drywall, to shape it for arches.

  24. victor franklin says:

    drywall shaper


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of DIYNetwork.com, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray