Tuesday Toolsday: Win a Folding Jamb Saw

Last Toolsday (a.k.a. Tuesday) we asked you to identify a spiked piece of metal with a loop on one end and a cyclinder in the middle. Some people thought it was an ice pick or some type of awl, but most folks correctly guessed that it is a miner’s candlestick.  The big loop is the handle; the cyclinder holds the candle and the sharp end would be hammered into the wall of mine.  

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Melba who thought it was a carpenter’s tool. Congratulations Melba, you’ve got one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.    

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a Swanson’s Savage Folding Jamb/Utility Saw.  This handy-dandy saw can be used for a ton of DIY jobs; cutting drywall, door jambs and trim, woodworking projects, furniture repair, crafts and more. The saw cuts in a straight or angled position, making it easy to get in tight spots and cutting small objects with accuracy. The Savage Saw comes with three blades, but will work with any reciprocating saw blade.

To win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw, take a look at the wood shaper pictured below, it is made to shape a particular type of board, click “comment” above, and tell us what kind of board. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

Did you know you could paint upholstered chairs, curtains, floors and even carpeting?   Also, find new ways to revive old furniture with paint, or how to paint a staircase, ceilings and more

On Tuesday, August 7, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until August 7, 2012, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw.  
Official Rules.

993 Responses

  1. Cindy says:

    its for drywall

  2. sherida busche says:

    a surfboard planer

  3. l. e. slauson says:

    fattten a board that is warped

  4. druid9855 says:

    If you wanna go Surfin' USA and impress the Surfer Girl make a Surfin' Safari in your woodie to your surf shop and buy a Surfoam Molding Plane to make your surf board. But be careful you don't Wipe Out!

  5. Daniel T says:

    Door jam planer

  6. vicki says:

    Drywall planer

  7. Anthony says:

    for shaping auto body filler

  8. TheresaM says:

    I'll go with surfboard planer

  9. Colleen Pelo says:

    It is a wood rasp {or how ever rasp is spelled}

  10. jan says:

    a sander

  11. ron armstrong says:

    drywall plane

  12. chris says:

    wood planner

  13. Joseph Menard says:


  14. BettyAnne C. says:

    a rasp

  15. Robyn B. says:

    Maybe for plywood.

  16. lgstonermc says:

    I don't know

  17. tonyamartinez says:

    I think it is used on pine boards

  18. Tom D. says:

    Drywall planer

  19. DarrenM says:

    It's a drywall shaper.

  20. Rebecca Vickers says:

    It looks like a rasp for planing.

  21. buyinogden says:

    It's plain to see that this is used to rasp the edge of kitchen counter laminates. It's either that, or the new dietary program put out by Slim-ugh-matic. You just plane away and the excess pounds just fall off. Literally. It's got to be true I read it on the internet. Well, it's one or the other (maybe I didn't read it there but could have).

  22. Petaa12 says:


  23. Frumonce says:

    Plywood shaper

  24. Susan P says:

    Stanley Metal Body Surform Plane – This surform will plane all types of wood, aluminium, copper, plastic and laminates. Surfboard would be a type of board this rasp plane would be used on.

  25. asandmancan says:

    Wood Planer! Though some people callit a wood shaver/grinder!!!


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of DIYNetwork.com, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray