Tuesday Toolsday: Win a Folding Jamb Saw

Last Toolsday (a.k.a. Tuesday) we asked you to identify a spiked piece of metal with a loop on one end and a cyclinder in the middle. Some people thought it was an ice pick or some type of awl, but most folks correctly guessed that it is a miner’s candlestick.  The big loop is the handle; the cyclinder holds the candle and the sharp end would be hammered into the wall of mine.  

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Melba who thought it was a carpenter’s tool. Congratulations Melba, you’ve got one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.    

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a Swanson’s Savage Folding Jamb/Utility Saw.  This handy-dandy saw can be used for a ton of DIY jobs; cutting drywall, door jambs and trim, woodworking projects, furniture repair, crafts and more. The saw cuts in a straight or angled position, making it easy to get in tight spots and cutting small objects with accuracy. The Savage Saw comes with three blades, but will work with any reciprocating saw blade.

To win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw, take a look at the wood shaper pictured below, it is made to shape a particular type of board, click “comment” above, and tell us what kind of board. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

Did you know you could paint upholstered chairs, curtains, floors and even carpeting?   Also, find new ways to revive old furniture with paint, or how to paint a staircase, ceilings and more

On Tuesday, August 7, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until August 7, 2012, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw.  
Official Rules.

993 Responses

  1. Vincent Gruenbacher says:

    I would use it on pine

  2. Mary W says:

    I hope it is a surfboard planer. Cool!

  3. deb b says:

    door jambs

  4. Wayne Hicks says:

    A planner for wood or drywall.

  5. jose says:


  6. Gary Steinberg says:

    Plasterboard cutter

  7. Ben Horton says:

    fiberglass boards

  8. Michael says:

    It is a surfboard shaper

  9. FRED says:


  10. George M says:

    Used for shaping wall board.

  11. crup says:


  12. Lynn says:

    My guess is particle board (if it has to be a board type)–I use something similar for drywall.

  13. Ryan says:


  14. Christine Burd says:

    to smooth ship seams

  15. AJ G says:

    For shaping a surfboard.

  16. Jeffrey Burnett says:

    wooden floorboard planer

  17. Diane S. says:

    Surform for shaping wood board..
    Like a" Surfboard"

  18. Elaine says:

    It is used on drywall/plasterboard

  19. mark says:

    Drywall sounds good to me

  20. Ned C. says:

    I have one I use off and on, but never thought what type of BOARD for which it was designed, however I believe the reference here is a SURFBOARD.

  21. Corey C says:

    a wood planer

  22. Julie says:

    Maybe used for decorative moulding

  23. Kermit Crissey says:

    For drywall

  24. Wendy says:


  25. Terry says:

    sheetrock or wall boaed


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of DIYNetwork.com, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray