Tuesday Toolsday: Win a Folding Jamb Saw

Last Toolsday (a.k.a. Tuesday) we asked you to identify a spiked piece of metal with a loop on one end and a cyclinder in the middle. Some people thought it was an ice pick or some type of awl, but most folks correctly guessed that it is a miner’s candlestick.  The big loop is the handle; the cyclinder holds the candle and the sharp end would be hammered into the wall of mine.  

We randomly picked one winner out of all last week’s comments and that lucky person is Melba who thought it was a carpenter’s tool. Congratulations Melba, you’ve got one week to reply to our email before we pick another winner.    

Next Tuesday, we will be giving away a Swanson’s Savage Folding Jamb/Utility Saw.  This handy-dandy saw can be used for a ton of DIY jobs; cutting drywall, door jambs and trim, woodworking projects, furniture repair, crafts and more. The saw cuts in a straight or angled position, making it easy to get in tight spots and cutting small objects with accuracy. The Savage Saw comes with three blades, but will work with any reciprocating saw blade.

To win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw, take a look at the wood shaper pictured below, it is made to shape a particular type of board, click “comment” above, and tell us what kind of board. You don’t have to answer correctly to win; we will randomly pick one winner.

Did you know you could paint upholstered chairs, curtains, floors and even carpeting?   Also, find new ways to revive old furniture with paint, or how to paint a staircase, ceilings and more

On Tuesday, August 7, we will select the winner then start up a new giveaway for another tool, which will be given away the Tuesday after that.

You have until August 7, 2012, 2:00pm (ET) to enter to win the Swanson’s Savage Folding Saw.  
Official Rules.

993 Responses

  1. Trish says:

    My grandfather always made a joke. We call it a draw bar . Never did find out the actual name for it was.

  2. kevin carlisle says:


  3. FredG says:


  4. WolfABLe says:

    I know them as a surform rasp (surform multi rasp planer), have seen them used to make surfboards but not sure if that is the 'board' you are looking for

  5. Nick says:

    surform for shaping wood. the specific board you are asking about is a surf board.

  6. Jeff says:

    Drywall or paneling planer?

  7. Sara N says:

    A wood-planer for shaping a boat!

  8. Wayne Dysart says:

    Johnson Planer

  9. at00 says:

    cement boards

  10. MichaelJ says:

    Its used on dry-wall or wall-board

  11. Robin says:

    drywall planner sounds good

  12. ana says:


  13. Peter says:

    drywall planner/ rasp

  14. loompa22 says:

    Plywood planer?

  15. Roxanne Landmann says:

    It's a wood planner

  16. Sharon Davis says:

    blade sharpener???

  17. Vanden says:

    foam planner

  18. Kathleen says:

    Something used for stability

  19. Ronald Williams says:

    drywall planner

  20. samuel rivers says:

    a door jam planner

  21. Mike D says:


  22. momsandner says:

    could be for cutting wood shingles

  23. Sandra says:

    Dont really know what that is.

  24. Emmilia Gamez says:

    don't really know but maybe a piece of moulding?

  25. martin bodnar says:

    a cork-board

    • mbelton1 says:

      I am not DIY person but I am about to by my first home and hopefully I will learn how to do things myself in my new home. As far as the answer goes for this took I would say it is used to shape "Plywood" because that is the only wood I know, besides Cedar and I do not think it is used for shaping Cedar.


About Jackie McGilvray 


When I'm not pulling together great projects and inspiring ideas as editor of DIYNetwork.com, I'm watching my two adorable boys play whatever sport is in season. Or I might be ...

More About Jackie McGilvray