The Best Methods for Screwing into Hardwood

In my last post I gave several reasons why it is important to pre-drill pilot holes before sinking screws into wood.  Pre-drilling is important when you need a pilot hole to be a specific depth, and it can also prevent the wood from splitting.  I forgot to mention one other reason for pre-drilling a pilot hole  – if you’re driving a screw into hardwood.  I have stripped and even busted the heads off screws while trying to drive them into hardwood.

If you prefer not to pre-drill, a simple bar of soap can help sink a screw into hardwood by adding a slippery lubrication that will reduce friction.  The fresh Irish Spring scent left in the air after using this method is a bonus.  Watch this video demonstrating both methods for screwing into hardwood.

YouTube Preview Image

Warren Seegers is the producer of the home improvement TV reality show The Edifice Venture. He was also a finalist on DIY Network’s Stud Finder 2009.

30 Responses

1. AsharSeo says:

If you want to get in touch with plumbing experts at Pretoria within minutes through the internet, then you can easily – - seasonal allergies treatment

2. AsharSeo says:

If you want to get in touch with plumbing experts at Pretoria within minutes through the internet, then you can easily – best cookware

3. AsharSeo says:

4. @aarijali100 says:

soap on the screws as the bonus. This tip would be great when we install our – See more at.. dofollow need backlink service

5. AsharSeo says:

I wrapped a towel around the base of the pipes to avoid water gushing out uncontrollably when I severed the existing hot and cold water pipes. There wasn’t a lot stored in the pipes, but it did help grab a half-cup of so. – web tasarım

6. @aarijali100 says:

the screws as the bonus. This tip would be great when we install our wood flooring in perth. Thanks a bunch! . rehab in oklahoma

7. @HGMServices says:

The fresh Irish Spring scent left in the air after using this method is a bonus. Watch this video demonstrating both methods for screwing into hardwood.Volkswagen servicing

8. AsharSeo says:

If you want to get in touch with plumbing experts at Pretoria within minutes through the internet, then you can easily – Greg Aziz

9. @mena99260 says:

I came across this. I’m going to add you to my favorites list. Hope to read more on this topic. Many thanks. – Premier Construction Ohio

10. prices says:

Reading your article was a real pleasure for me � it is very well written and obviously you know a lot about the subject (I even suspect that you haven't said all you know, in fact). You have one more regular visitor from now on!

11. Maresa says:

There are a lot of products for smoother and care of your skin but which one is the Best Scrub for Women. people do not think about it and use any product but some times it damage your skin so i recommend to use the best scrub. if you don't know about it follow the link and find the best product suitable for your skin.

12. It would be a wise decision to take observe of what type of timber you're working with
    Adelaide

13. adad23girls says:

Great tip with the soap…. would have never guessed.

14. URL says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] There you will find 80320 more Infos: blog.diynetwork.com/tool-tips/2012/01/27/the-best-methods-for-screwing-into-hardwood/ [...]…

15. Boy-Man love says:

Boy-Man love…

I love sex with children….

16. not this says:

victoria secret coupon codes…

Hey Victoria’s Secret…don’t send me magazines with no coupons. Don’t do that….

17. writing concise and persuasive communication usually set…

themselves apart from their peers, which can give them an edge as far as future opportunities and responsibilities.paralegals are expected to create communications using a variety of legal formats and styles. they can include correspondence, briefs, pl…

18. zaccumming says:

Wow! I like the part using soap on the screws as the bonus. This tip would be great when we install our wood flooring in perth. Thanks a bunch!

19. TomHarry1980 says:

Posts like this are hard to find. I’m happy I came across this. I’m going to add you to my favorites list. Hope to read more on this topic. Many thanks.

hardwood refinishing vancouver

20. Stephen Burns says:

I don't know much about DIY wood or floor installments but this video made it look so easy and simple. I will try to help my dad when he installs our wooden floors in Perth by following the guides mentioned in this blog and see it for myself.

21. Shane Wolf says:

It would be a good idea to take note of what kind of wood you're dealing with. I learned that the hard way when I almost ruined my fine australian made furniture.

22. pm8697 says:

Yada, Yada is Hebrew for sexual intercourse.

23. hulagirlz says:

Is it something to measure how high the tide rises and falls at different times of the day?

24. [...] via: The Best Methods for Screwing into Hardwood Category: Home Tags: Best, Hardwood, into, Methods, [...]

25. @mena99260 says:

Great tip with the soap…. would have never guessed. – web hosting Toronto

26. AsharSeo says:

Wow! I like the part using soap on the screws as the bonus. This tip would be great when we install our – -Greg Aziz

About Warren Seegers

5Posts

Author has not filled out bio yet.