Oct 28

Blog Cabin 2015 Location Announcement

Get excited because we’re headed to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho for the ninth season of Blog Cabin!

“We’re taking Blog Cabin out west for the very first time,” says Chris Grundy. “It’s a little taste of small town living with walk-up ice cream shops, down home restaurants, and year-round events.”Blog Cabin 2015Nestled among the Rocky Mountains, the original cabin will be rebuilt from the ground up and redesigned to honor the spectacular views of neighboring Lake Coeur d’Alene. Dilapidated and abandoned, this rustic structure will be renovated with the help from you, our DIYNetwork.com audience, beginning Tuesday, January 6th.Watch the location videos for more details.

Browse a Collection of Area Photos from Dylan Eastman >>

• Posted at 9:07 am on October 10, 2014

1,093 Comments

1. WOW!!! I was sooooo wrong in my guesses but who cares. This looks fantastic and is a real departure for DIY. First time West of the Mississippi and a genuine cold weather build for this vacation getaway. Can't wait to get started.

Clive on October 28, 2014 at 9:22 am
    • yeah….it will be just down the road from where I live!!

lifeinidaho on October 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    • Yay–a neighbor for the blog ! You have all the area info–it looks like a beautiful place.xD B)

LLColeman on October 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
    • Hey lady, good to see you back.

Eugenia27 on October 29, 2014 at 1:17 pm
    • Thanks Eugenia27. I'm so addicted to reading to these blogs every chance I get. I have been reading them for years now. All of you bloggers have so many interesting things to say.

Hey Lady on November 2, 2014 at 11:30 am
    • :)

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2014 at 4:18 pm
    • What a great area! I was planning on a road trip out there anyway.

RLDorf on October 29, 2014 at 7:09 pm
    • It is truly God's country. So beautiful. My brother lives in Boise, would so love to be in Idaho, he is my only living sibling and I never get to see him, this is meant to be, especially since he taught me how to fly fish, and my husband how to ski! Can't wait to follow the build, looking forward to the sheer mastery of it all..

dmorrissey517 on October 30, 2014 at 9:07 pm
    • So happy to see you in our neck of the woods. You will be happy to know that they are predicting a warmer, dryer winter than normal. I am excited to watch the progress.

auntsuzie on October 31, 2014 at 12:05 pm
    • Watching the videos saw them talking about making a cold frame from the old windows. Great idea. We don't have a long growing season and this is a perfect way to get a start on the summer garden and to continue it into the cold months. As someone who likes to grow her own vegetables couldn't be happier.

auntsuzie on October 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm
    • This makes me very happy also.

Eugenia27 on October 31, 2014 at 1:20 pm
    • My heart is in my throat the view is so beautiful and the town Is so Hopeful America. A place to live and be a part of, what a pick these people have made

heather henson on October 31, 2014 at 10:49 pm
    • I thought it might be
      Tennessee ???? Looks beautiful though!

Blue7 on April 22, 2015 at 11:00 am
  2. Absolutely gorgeous property and views! Your property scouts did an amazing job. Can't wait to see what you all do with this cabin.

CurlyGirl on October 28, 2014 at 9:24 am
  3. Oh my, totally off the radar! Did anyone guess Idaho? What a lovely setting — I can't wait to see the progress on this one!

CplusE on October 28, 2014 at 9:31 am
    • Actually, I did, in response to MAOW's guess that the fruit shown in the dessert was huckleberry. It turns out that the huckleberry is Idaho's state fruit and they are the biggest producer of both the small red and pink beans. So I think MAOW and I solved it together.

Addy243 on October 28, 2014 at 10:42 am
    • Addy243,

Congrats on selecting Idaho based on the Huckleberry. This darker variety is typically in ID and MT and I went with Essex, MT as my guess. Oh well, it was more fun than if the 3rd Clue was a Potato.

MAOW on October 28, 2014 at 10:59 am
    • Great job, Addy243! I still don't get the significance of the stones, unless the lake near the Idaho blog cabin has a stony beach?

CplusE on October 28, 2014 at 11:17 am
    • The rocks are present on the property, near the workshop!

Laurie

Laurie_March on October 28, 2014 at 12:41 pm
    • Thanks, Laurie!

CplusE on October 28, 2014 at 2:18 pm
    • I looked back and at least two bloggers (I've never seen their blog names before) were definite that it was Idaho and that they knew where in Idaho too. Maybe they were locals and will blog again. :)

AnniesOwn on October 28, 2014 at 11:14 am
    • It had crossed my mind as 1 of the states with the rock clue & bean/seed clue & then the berry clue was new & a toss up with blueberry/huckleberry. if they had waited a few more days with the berry clue..there were a few states that could of fitted the bill.

cucumberHOH on October 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm
    • Yes, and yeah! I guessed Idaho. I lived in Idaho about 30 plus years ago for a brief time as a teenager. I recognized those rocks and I remember being so surprised at the time that there were volcanos in Idaho:>) Since then I have learned more about all that. Beautiful part of the country and have always wanted to go back to visit. Now maybe I can live there again! I wonder how the bears like those huckleberries:>)LOL!
      Anyway this will be another fun and great build. I can only imagine the windows they will have to take in the lake and mountain views-wow! such potential:>) Can't wait:>)

ruffybc on October 29, 2014 at 9:07 am
  4. Rocky Mountain High! Different State, but the euphoric meaning is the same. I can hear John Denver singing right now. Now, this is God's quiet whisper… exposed.

T. Treat on October 28, 2014 at 9:40 am
  5. Wow definitely Gods country. Beautiful, serene.

Straybird on October 28, 2014 at 9:47 am
  6. Idaho was one of the options but I didn't consider it a real possibility.

Idaho is the number one producer nationally of Small Red and Pink beans. I have a friend from there who is always telling us that it's hard to have a vegetable plot in the yard because of all the stones.

DIY was very canny with these clues. Great fun to read all the guesses and discover a lot about the country that I would otherwise never have known. :) B)xD

Clive on October 28, 2014 at 9:49 am
  7. Wow !!! It is Not Montana but just over the border from Spokane is awesome! A little bit further drive to visit Yellowstone National park, which is sooooo on my bucket list! Easier drive than from Michigan for sure!!! We've learned so much about Michigan and one day sure Blog Cabin will be there too! How do ya think they learn about these places???? We are their eyes and ears????? Can't wait to learn more!!! Great choice! But clues sure need some work…… lol Had a great ride!! Now where is the Ice Cream store of which you speak??? On to Urban Oasis Clues……. Whoa……that should be a trip?????

Ashtabulannie on October 28, 2014 at 10:00 am
    • It probably won't be hard to find the ice cream store. Couer d'Alene isn't very big. Yellowstone is about a 4 hour drive SE. Couer d'Alene is in a beautiful spot. But very, very cold in the winter.

cebe46 on October 28, 2014 at 11:18 am
    • Okay Urban Oasis 2015 dreaming DC, Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle….

twoTERRIERs on October 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm
    • Within easy road trip range of both Glacier and Yellowstone!

RLDorf on October 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm
    • Visited Glacier a few years ago and loved it. Not to far away. Also ate Huckleberries for the first time when I was there and loved them.

Joycein NJ on November 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm
    • Walk up ice cream would be Rogers on Sherman, and techanially cabin is in Harrison on Lake Coeur d'Alene

Linda on October 6, 2015 at 1:14 am
  8. Love the lake views, fruit trees on sight, and the separate workshop. Hmmm. Sounds like the 2014 BC.

How far is it to the nearest LEGOLAND?

MAOW on October 28, 2014 at 10:09 am
  9. WOW! Holey Moley!! Gorgeous. This is going to be one amazing blog cabin!! Dylan, Laurie, you guys did good! I can't wait for this one to get started. There will certainly be some challenges building this one. Weather challenges for sure. However the land itself is gorgeous, especially that beautiful lake. Ok DIY crew, time to start working. Laurie I don't know you managed to keep this one quiet! You did good. <3:DxD Again, wow!! I love it and we haven't even started yet!!

Sheri McNamara on October 28, 2014 at 10:20 am
    • Laurie had said it would be a DOZZY and WOW, Holey Moley, and Gorgeous certainly apply as well. I wonder if the property has lake access/rights?

MAOW on October 28, 2014 at 10:23 am
    • Hi MOAW, I wonder what size that property is? Wouldn't is be great if there is access to that lake? I don't think alligators will be a problem this year. HaHa. I have never been out in that direction,, have only been out of Florida a couple times.(once to Pennsylvania and the other times Georgia.) It looks as if there is amazing beauty out that way and I am anxious to soak it all in. I do not like waiting til January for this to start, but I'll be ok with the other great bloggers like you and Laurie. So here we go.<3xD:*^_^

Sheri McNamara on October 28, 2014 at 5:08 pm
    • You don't think we'd actually make you wait til January to hear more – do you??
      ;)

Laurie

Laurie_March on October 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm
    • I still want some of that huckleberry dessert you teased bloggers with!!!

Lia_M on October 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm
    • Oooh, that's a hint! I can hardly wait to see what we will learn next. Yippee!

Lindingo on October 28, 2014 at 8:43 pm
    • Hi Laurie- This one is even more amazing than the last one! You all are amazing and I thank you for all you do! The pictures are so beautiful. I have never been west of the Mississippi River so this is a real eye opener! I'm anxious to see the property lines and all those details that go with this type of property.<3xD It is sooo beautiful and that Lake–WOW…I have fallen in love <3<3 and we have only just begun! I'm ready, let the fun begin.

Sheri McNamara on October 29, 2014 at 11:41 am
    • Hey Laurie, I am sooo ready for more! How about a hint or two, something in the plans maybe? Are they keeping the outhouse for some use, outside toilets can make the home owner-to-be extremely happy since in and out foot traffic can really be cut back?? Just an idea. Maybe you could give us a subject possibility and bloggers can give you ideas.?? Or maybe a few more pics. I know MAOW, Coop and several other amazing bloggers have found a few others of you, Dylan, and Chris doing some work. No problem if you are way too busy, you are one amazing lady!!!!! I'm serious about that. It was great "talking" to you and thanks again for all your hard work.<3:*xD

Sheri McNamara on November 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm
    • How about a mini spa complex with the 'waterless closet', a hot tub and sauna all in cedar connected by a cedar plank covered walkway to the main house?

If it snowed the winner could do the Finnish-style sauna. Dive from it straight into a snow bank then a dip in the hot tub before a quick sprint to the house. :) :D;)

Clive on November 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm
    • Laurie, I just want to remind you that January is approaching!! LOL I am sooo ready to hear more. I am bored and curious all at the same time. Please pass along a hint or two so my ADD will calm down. Oh and by the way, down here in sunny Florida we have temperatures in the mid-to-low 50's–YUK and tomorrow will be in the 30's !! I think this might be a test to see if we can tolerate those temps so that when I win the 2015 Blog Cabin, I will be used to low temps.;) How's that for rationalizing. LOL:D<3 Oh well, I will be patiently waiting for your response.;)<3

Sheri McNamara on November 18, 2014 at 10:00 am
    • Hey Sheri,

For the 2013 BC DIY posted a thread containing more details about the current home and a thread containing more details about the lot after the location was announced. Therefore, I expect all of your questions (Lot size) and mine (Lake access) to be answered shortly.

The west is great. Go if and when you can. Our last trip out west was to SD. We rented a cabin in CUSTER STATE PARK. The family from Oregon in the next cabin stopped by our cabin on the last night to share … a HUCKLEBERRY PIE with us.

I always love learning about new things when traveling. The road is a great teacher but I learn a lot reading the blogs as well. Can't wait to see what we learn next.

MAOW on October 28, 2014 at 6:14 pm
    • Thanks MAOW, your trip sounds wonderful and like you, I am ready to learn more. Let the learning begin.xD

Sheri McNamara on October 29, 2014 at 11:43 am
    • No gators but watch out for bears.

peaches on November 21, 2014 at 11:49 pm
    • I'm thinking no, but i'm sure they still have a City Park with a beach (swam there as a kid) & possible boat moorage at a Marina. I love Couer d'Alene-sooo happy this is where Blog Cabin will be this year.

Beverly on October 28, 2014 at 11:44 pm
    • Beverly,

Thanks for the local insight.

MAOW on October 29, 2014 at 9:47 am
  10. Now, this looks absolutely breathtaking! Can't wait to start putting my 2 cents in!

GAPeach on October 28, 2014 at 10:29 am