Aug 14

Blog Cabin: Let the Games Begin!

Blog Cabin Laurie March 2014

Okay, I’ll be honest, I have a bit of a friendly, competitive streak. I love to play games with my family and friends and when I do, I play to win. If I were to play a round of bocce ball at the Blog Cabin’s amazing court, however, I might be in trouble. I don’t know how I could focus while taking in that view, but I’m always up for a challenge.

Laurie March Bocce Outdoor Game Blog

I love that the voters chose this timeless game, which dates all the way back to the ancient Egyptians. The court is regulation size and might be a great DIY project for your own backyard. Best of all, bocce is a wonderful activity that many generations are able to play together.

Learn how to build your own bocce ball court >>

Game Rooms Laurie March Blog

When the Blog Cabin 2014 winner decides to get out of the sun for a little while, they can gather round this classic shuffleboard table. Its ingenious design allows for extra storage, and its castors make it wonderfully mobile. It can be moved over when people want to play, while a few rounds of darts can be enjoyed safely and simultaneously. My kind of party!

Outdoor Games Blog Cabin Laurie March

And of course, who can forget last year’s custom Grundy cornhole set? This is one of my favorite games to play in nice weather and it’s become more popular every year. If you’re interested in giving it a try, check out this video, where my buddy, Dan Pashman, and I show you how to make your own.

What are some of your favorite games to play with family and friends?

• Posted at 3:21 pm on August 8, 2014

1. Wow I am first but I need a partner ????

Straybird on August 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm
    • I'm in !

Laurie

Laurie_March on August 14, 2014 at 6:04 pm
    • Great now we are sure to win ???????????? what shall we play first ?

Straybird ???? on August 14, 2014 at 8:29 pm
  2. Let the games begin!

My family loves games! We are all pretty competitive and when we get started…. its all in fun. Isn't that what the blog cabin is all about, fun, family, Florida? Awesome! <3

Laurie, Are you ready for the competition?

bythebaydreamer on August 14, 2014 at 4:11 pm
    • I'll take you down… ;)

Laurie

Laurie_March on August 14, 2014 at 6:04 pm
    • Laurie, Games on!

bythebaydreamer on August 15, 2014 at 10:44 am
  3. Here in Maine we like to play horseshoes. We so play a variety of gases with the kids, there legged races, egg toss, hide and seek, red light, Simon says. We have a great time. Can't wait to play these games at the blog cabin. Bocce Ball and console toss with Chris Grundy's wonderful picture on it! Let's get this party going! <3

bythebaydreamer on August 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm
  4. I adore playing games. My hubby has decided that when we win blog cabin, he will be adding horseshoes for us. I am also think of storing a few games and a deck of cards down at the boat house. Gotta have game everywhere. Laurie, we will invite you over for a day or night of fun competition when we move in.

jensmithwiz on August 14, 2014 at 5:35 pm
  5. Sorry to go off topic here where delightful blogs are regularly posted, but I do want to let people know there is a new blog post at the Urban Oasis. Back later…. have to go look at pics. Finally….

Lindingo on August 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • Hi my friend Lindingo ????

Straybird on August 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm
    • Hi, Straybird! :)

Lindingo on August 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm
  6. Ready for family fun, games, boating and fishing!! Living that close to our relatives with this house we would be having the time of our lives!!

Holly on August 14, 2014 at 6:23 pm
  7. The family loves games! Can't get any better than playing games at the Blog Cabin with the beautiful views of the lake. One problem however, I've never played bocce ball before. I am a quick learner. If I happen to win the Blog Cabin, Laurie you and I are going to play. Please don't cry after you lose LOL !!

MaineBlkBear on August 14, 2014 at 7:15 pm
    • Our family loves to play games, too. I think the competitive nature comes out in everyone. I remember playing some games with my hub over the internet. He'd hang up on me if I were winning. lol

Nice having the lake nearby. We can tell some to go and "cool off".

I've never played bocce ball before either. I'm willing to learn.

Trish on August 14, 2014 at 9:24 pm
  8. water balloon fights (without dogs around and then clean up is a pain but what fun on a hot day!) Boggle I think is the best ever! And who can forget table tennis/ping pong?

minitoni on August 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm
    • Not many people know Boggle. It's a favorite of mine! Thanks for mentioning it. It Boggles my mind that there are some people who don't know this game.

Trish on August 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm
    • LOL there is even a social ipad app for “boggle” called “scramble with friends”Sent from my iPad

minitoni on August 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm
    • I love Boggle. My mother hid my set because she was tired of the family fights. That was 30 years ago and it's still missing.

TwoCorgis on August 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm
    • You're an adult, buy a new one! I love it still and you can play it on an ipad or phone too, there's an app for just about anything. well it's sort of boggle.Sent from my iPad

minitoni on September 22, 2014 at 4:08 pm
  9. I love that bocce ball court! Perfect game for a Florida lawn! :-) <3<3<3

Nanwes on August 14, 2014 at 7:31 pm
  10. Count me in for a mean game of bocce ball — but I'll skip the lakeside bungee jumping, thank you. http://lowres.cartoonstock.com/animals-crocodile-

DBCoop on August 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm