Jul 31

Blog Cabin 2014: Delving Into Shelving

Blog Cabin 2014 Laurie March Shelving Ideas

I’m not sure I have the words to describe how excited I was to design the Blog Cabin 2014  laundry room. Who wouldn’t love to work with project manager Dylan Eastman and construct custom pieces to make laundry more manageable for the lucky winners? We also had a ridiculously good time styling that open shelving above the washer and dryer. I can geek out over that stuff for days. While the practical purpose of a shelf is to provide storage, it can be a great opportunity to express yourself as well.

Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014 Shelving Ideas

One of my favorite ways to spice up some shelving is to line its back with gorgeous fabric. This stunning striped cloth is from HGTV HOME’s fabric line and works beautifully with the custom cabinetry in this room. We knew we wanted the room to be citrus inspired, but instead of heading straight for Florida orange, I was really taken with these fresh yellows and greens. Add that cool grey into the mix and I was in love. This cloth (which Made & Remade’s Michelle Reynolds also used to cover the ironing board) kicked that shelving up a notch instantly and set the tone for the space.

In a laundry room, function is equally, if not more important than form. That doesn’t mean, however, that useful, everyday items can’t be attractive. A charming glass beverage dispenser and vintage glass jar become beautiful containers for detergents and cleaners. Whether you make your own or buy them at the store, you’re the one who gets to decide how they’ll look in the end.

One thing I like to do in any space I’m working on is to plan for plants. Blog Cabin 2014 is home to many gorgeous botanical plants and I didn’t want the laundry room to feel left out. Whether it’s a low maintenance succulent, cacti or a fussier flower, adding greenery to any space can help you to relax and to breathe easier.

And my last trick to ensure that the laundry room’s open shelves will remain stylish was to create a hiding places for stuff. We can’t always choose what colors or designs our products will come in, but we still need to keep them around. This closed storage bench is the perfect place to play hide and seek with the stuff that doesn’t complement your palette.  This citrus workstation is officially ready for its close-up! Just add new homeowners to this space for some instantly good, clean fun.

Take a tour of the laundry room and tell me what you think.

See More Shelf Help Ideas from Blog Cabin 2014 >>

• Posted at 2:03 pm on July 7, 2014

1. Loving all these blogs. No shortage of info here.

Lessie on July 31, 2014 at 9:13 pm
  2. pleasant choice of colors looks so good! good job!

funny girl on July 31, 2014 at 9:41 pm
  3. Plenty of lovely spaces to get your laundry work done and store away, including the ability to iron comfortably…..love the popsicle colors…

twoTERRIERs on July 31, 2014 at 9:53 pm
    • added bonus!!

COOLSMILEY on August 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm
  4. Agreed, shelving is so important and makes use of space in any room. I would love a wall of shelves in my home. By the way, I was in Nashville for my wedding anniversary for July 25th and my husband fell in love with Nashville. We did not get time to fish, but next time. We did find a great new restaurant only open one week and had wonderful catfish for dinner two nights in a row. I brought him to The Silver Dollar Saloon, a place that I loved when I went there in January. Wouldn't you know it, I was so sad to see that we had missed the HGTV crew that night at the Silver Dollar Saloon. I saw the sign they had welcoming the HGTV crew. We just missed them according to the bar tender. We still had a great time, because there was live music. Can't wait to visit Nashville again one day. I was so excited I had to post something on a blog about it. ON to Winter Haven, FISH ON. My favorite so far is the dock, and love the 2 floors, and can we squeeze in some shelving somewhere? Love<3

mkro on July 31, 2014 at 10:20 pm
  5. I have never thought of lining the shelves with fabric… it's so beautiful!

callie611 on July 31, 2014 at 10:25 pm
  6. what a beautiful Laundry Room, I love the fabric and the re-packaged essentials that look much better than the big red thing of Tide or Seventh Generation laundry detergent. It's ergonomically sensible and those staged shelves are just gorgeous, I love the fabric! I also am glad to know the book case door to the MBR is functional. I still need a bigger MBR closet, even for a vacation home assuming we would use it that way if won! Very nice.

minitoni on July 31, 2014 at 10:52 pm
    • The idea of putting the bigger bought detergents into smaller nicer looking containers is a really nice idea.:D

nanwes on August 1, 2014 at 12:04 pm
    • I would love to do this with our detergent but we use the liquid HE detergent. And it's hidden in a cupboard over the washer so that's okay. There is a pretty night light in the laundry room here LOL! But yes, if this were possible I'd do it in a second.Sent from my iPad

minitoni on September 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  7. did anyone notice the right cabinet door under the window is not able to open all the way due to the fold down table? not a big issue just an observation.

Gene on July 31, 2014 at 11:04 pm
  8. Outstanding the old cottage seems to fit right in with the new modern but still takes me back to my old days in Florida excellent job so inviting and comfortable this is the years of old that give you the gift of having family and friends experience something incredible . Great Job I think this is one of the best blog cabins.Love it

Tams on July 31, 2014 at 11:34 pm
  9. What a shame that they don't give tours of the Blog Cabins. They sold tickets to benefit a local charity when they had tours of the Dream Home in Islamorada FL. I believe that they made quite a bit of money for that charity.

Bud on August 1, 2014 at 8:26 am
    • I agree

COOLSMILEY on August 2, 2014 at 7:04 pm
  10. maybe I just missed it, but is there a pic somewhere of he closet in the laundry room open – wonder are there shelves or hang ups?

funny girl on August 1, 2014 at 11:03 am
    • I just looked at all four videos and the still picture gallery and did not see the inside. When the info for the laundry room was first "live," before the tours were officially up, I clicked through all of the pics in the gallery and was taken into several other galleries of laundry room pictures. I think I did see inside the closet at that time, but, if so, I don't remember what I saw. My best guess is that it is a linen closet, but that's just a guess.

I loved your first post where you said something like, "I just made my first entry! Did I win yet? Did I win yet?!?" I thought how well your name suits you. :)

Lindingo on August 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm
    • how sweet to take the time to checkthe closet out thanks We do have to think poitive and enjoy and cross your fingers!! Good luck to you ALL

funny girl on August 2, 2014 at 9:58 am