Jul 29

Plush Plants at Blog Cabin 2014

Pink Flamingos Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014

Hello from Los Angeles! I’m here in la la land, daydreaming about Winter Haven and all of the amazing features included in Blog Cabin 2014. Those who know me know that I am an avid gardener.  While I’ve spent hours ooohing and ahhing over Blog Cabin’s construction and design, its the botanical aspects that simply knock my socks off. Let’s take a look at some of the bungalow’s liveliest elements.

Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014 Outdoor Lounge

We have to start with the gorgeous pergola. This cozy corner features an entire wall of plants. As time passes, these decorative sweet potato plants will grow and provide more and more coverage. It also features an incredible drip irrigation system that will save an amazing amount of water over time. Along with the gorgeous landscaping surround it, this pergola is a petite plant palace.

Jake Moss, host of Yardcore, came up with the ingenious idea to line the walkway to the boat dock with potted palms. They each have their own tiny stage built so they might steal the show. These little soldiers salute all guests as they approach the majestic Lake Hamilton.

Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014 Potted Plants Indoors

The potted flowers in the sunroom couldn’t have picked a better spot for their buds. Sometimes bringing a little bit of nature indoors reminds us to take a look at all of the gorgeous scenery outdoors. They also provide color, comfort and carbon dioxide in this relaxing retreat.

Laurie March Blog Cabin 2014 Hanging Pots

I am obsessed with the idea of adding potted plants to your pots and pans! This custom-built rack in the kitchen makes a perfect shelf for some low-maintenance greenery.

Laurie March Blog Cabin Green Plants 2014

Also in the kitchen, some small succulents create a big impact. Bringing vibrant color into the space and softening the more industrial décor, these easy-to-please plants brighten the room instantly.

Laurie March Blog Cabin Plants Growing

And if that weren’t enough, the kitchen also boasts fresh herbs growing right from the countertop. No more running to the store to grab some mint or rosemary. These flavorful plants are right at your fingertips.

Blog Cabin 2014 Laurie March Blog Tomato Plants

And speaking of edible plants, I have a special place in my heart for the raised garden beds built by project manager Dylan Eastman and yours truly. You voted to include a wide array of growing groceries in the Blog Cabin 2014 design. This is the first year a full garden has been included in a Blog Cabin, but something tells me it won’t be the last. Check out the full story on the build here:

So what do you think of the pretty plant life at this lakeside bungalow? Green thumbs up or thumbs down? Let me know!

• Posted at 1:41 pm on July 7, 2014

1. Love the plants and tour Laurie……i just saw some places I had not yet discovered….thank you……

twoTERRIERs on July 29, 2014 at 1:56 pm
    • I love to hear that! Thanks for peeking at the plants, nooks and crannies of our favorite home with me :)

Laurie

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:02 am
    • Thanks Laurie, so much to discover in this beautiful house…………and can you tell me …. is there a very quick way to get to your blog from the Home HGTV page…..I am saving your link, but sometimes get lost here……..

One thing i really love about this cabin are all the built-ins…..very smart….

twoTERRIERs on July 30, 2014 at 11:10 am
  2. Hi Laurie ! love all the plants and flowers. Great garden for the new owner of Blog Cabin 2014 to enjoy right away. The colors of the flowers a beautiful Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day-

Nan on July 29, 2014 at 2:02 pm
    • Nan –

Aren't the colors so lovely! I always find Summer brings the most magical colors in the garden – honestly the various greens inspire me as much as all the vibrant other shades. Olive green is my favorite color. What about you? Are you growing anything special in your garden this Summer?

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:03 am
  3. I love the herb garden and the idea of pretty much everything else, the pot rack in the kitchen, the mix of colored leaves on the pergola, and the potted palms on the dock. But how do you water the palms on the dock, dip a bucket into the lake and water that way? I'm sure they'll need watering but too far away for a hose LOL. Great comments Laurie!

minitoni on July 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm
    • There's a water spigot down by the boat lift. ;)

We had a watering can on a rope to water our dock plants but sooner or later they get forgotten once too many times so we no longer bother to have them. They look nice but it's a case of out of sight/out of mind with plants on docks most of the time. They dry out much more rapidly than in pots on patios too. :(

Clive on July 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm
    • yes I figured that they would dry quickly in full sun so would mean frequent watering thanks Clive.Sent from my iPad

minitoni on July 30, 2014 at 10:55 am
  4. Oh yes, almost forgot – a big thumbs Laurie ! great job.

Nan on July 29, 2014 at 2:04 pm
    • Thanks Nan! :)

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:04 am
  5. Thanks Laurie, this has to be one of my favorite blogs, just beautiful! Two green thumbs up!!!

filanddell on July 29, 2014 at 2:10 pm
    • Are you a garden and plant lover like me? So glad you read the post and commented! My garden is beckoning me today – the tomato vines need a little support. Hope your day is lovely!

Laurie

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:05 am
    • Ohhh…yes grew up with gardens and patches. My mom had a way with plants, inside and out. She would say those tomato vines need staking!

filanddell on July 31, 2014 at 7:11 pm
  6. Lovely plants! I especially love the herbs in the kitchen. I also wondered about watering the pots on the walkway. Perhaps a wick system could draw the water right from the lake? One other thing: the indoor plants will provide oxygen, NOT carbon monoxide which is a deadly gas.

mjcbs49 on July 29, 2014 at 2:27 pm
    • Never known plants to produce carbon monoxide. ^_^

For respiration (24/7) plants will utilize oxygen and water to produce carbon dioxide and energy. During daylight (or some artificial light) they will photosynthesize – utilizing CO2 and sunlight to produce oxygen and sugars for growth.. :)

Clive on July 29, 2014 at 2:46 pm
    • They fixed it! Good eye!

Kate M. on July 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm
    • I believe Laurie said carbon dioxide.

Linda on July 29, 2014 at 8:27 pm
    • Brilliant idea about using water from the lake to somehow hooking up an automatic watering system for the outdoor plants, mjcbs49!

Hesitantly Excited on July 30, 2014 at 9:56 am
    • I was thinking of a low-tech solution. A cotton rope curled in the bottom of the pot and out the drain hole could dangle in the lake and draw up enough water to keep the plants happy.

mjcbs49 on July 30, 2014 at 2:25 pm
    • It was a typo – thanks so much for all of your good eyes! No glasses needed here :)

heheh.

Laurie

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:06 am
  7. Love the plants but wonder about upkeep if the winner uses the BC as a vacation home.

MAOW on July 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm
    • Yes, if it is a vacation home like they say it is. i think the plants would soon be gone. If I had it they would die for sure LOL.. But they do look nice.

vicki_in_Utah on July 29, 2014 at 6:36 pm
    • Hi friends! Yes – a vacation home would surely require making friends with a neighbor or two for some friendly plant watering – or the indoor plants could be seasonal to your visits – or fake. There are some brilliant fake plants on the market now!

My mom seems to find them all. Whenever I'm at her house I find myself having to touch the plants to see if they're real. She's always smiling at me when I do it – it's kind of a family joke now!

Vicki do you have trouble keeping plants alive?

Laurie

Laurie_March on July 30, 2014 at 11:08 am
    • Maybe GRUNDY could water the plants when he stops by to use the BOAT or fish off the DOCK?

MAOW on July 30, 2014 at 11:12 am
    • you should see me, i've been known to water some very real looking fake orchids for months:):) standing joke here too…

twoTERRIERs on July 30, 2014 at 11:16 am
    • I keep an eye on 3 homes of friends who are up North in the summer, however during summer it's rare that you have to give anything a drink.

I love all the plants you put in also Laurie, good choices for Florida and I am sure they are all flourishing as it has been a very rainy summer, more than I remember in a while. I find plants do well if you just love them, in other words don't over love them. I've had a problem with that in the past<G>. I have some orchids that I transplanted from a friends over 10 years ago and my Dermatologist told me I was loving them to death (he was always at plant shows). I hung them under my oak trees and for the most part let nature take over, what beautiful blooms I've had since then. :)

nanwes on July 30, 2014 at 11:26 am
  8. Laurie, you and Dylan did an amazing job with these plants. I sincerely hope someone is harvesting the beautiful plants as they mature.They are beautiful, perfect spots for everything, I would never have thought of live plants on the pot racks. I have silk plants running the length of both of my pot rack/lights.:)

nanwes on July 29, 2014 at 2:55 pm
  9. As usual I love every inch of this house. You guys just get better every time you do a new Blog Cabin! I love all of the plants and I hope you have hired someone to take care of them for the winner. Good luck to everyone! I visit the blogs, but don't always have time to post comments. I love reading the comments from all the "old timers" and the "new faces" too. If I win I promise to host a "Bloggers Open House"!

SweetLiz on July 29, 2014 at 3:08 pm
  10. Laurie get back to BC and play in the garden. If I win this awesome home you are welcome to come and hang out literally in the boat hammocks. I love all the live things so it's a thumbs up from me for all the plants. I also like to garden and grow things. Really love having fresh herbs in the kitchen for cooking. ?? Thanks

Straybird on July 29, 2014 at 3:17 pm