Jul 23

Before and After Highlights from Blog Cabin 2014

BEFORE

AFTER

Wow, it’s been an exciting journey for Blog Cabin 2014! From moving locations to salvaging design details, the DIY Network team did an amazing job transforming this 1920s lakeside retreat. I’ve gathered a few before and after highlights for you to peruse. Let us know, in the comments below, what you think about this year’s renovation.

See the Inspiring Journey, from Start to Finish

Incredible Before and After Images

On Site in Winter Haven

Moving the House to a New Location

Before and After Floor Plans

Amazing Room Tours

And starting July 28, 2014, at 9 a.m. ET, enter daily — once on DIYNetwork.com and once on HGTVRemodels.com — for your chance to win the luxurious lakeside DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014.

• Posted at 2:20 pm on July 7, 2014

1. Lovely transformation………..you guys can transform the whole world…

twoTERRIERs on July 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm
    • Sitting at the hospital with my son in ICU looking at the transformation and the sunrise and sunset has been very relaxing

Barb2683 on August 23, 2014 at 2:20 pm
    • Dear Barb……Big hugs and prayers for you and your son…hope this picture provides some comfort…..my heart goes out to you all….

twoTERRIERs on August 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm
  2. The before and after pictures make my heart sing. Usually I pour over the before pics imagining what I would do. This year I crept away from them and took it on faith that the house would be transformed.

I bet this is just me, but I wish my computer would let me toggle backwards and forwards instead of marching me forward in a straight line through each comparison in the gallery. I'll have to go settle in with the thumbnails for a while now.

Lindingo on July 23, 2014 at 4:27 pm
  3. Rah, rah to Dylan and the rest of the team! They really preserved the feeling of the original home. Thanks for the comparison, but you got me on the last two pictures, although I love the garden, I got excited thinking I would see the new shed!

filanddell on July 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • Maybe they should have paired pictures of the shed up with pictures of the quonset hut we now get. http://blog.diynetwork.com/blogcabin/2013/12/24/o

Then the garden would be paired with bare ground.

Lindingo on July 23, 2014 at 5:58 pm
    • You know what I think is strange, I can find the quonset hut on bing map, but there is no house on the property. It seems strange that it can't be seen from space. Oh well, the property is beautiful!!! :)

nanwes on July 24, 2014 at 10:24 am
    • It will be awhile before the aerial photos will be updated. We've done this on several occasions without our own home to see what gets picked up. Glad you found the quonset hut.

Lindingo, thanks for posting the site for the people who keep asking for pics.

Trish on July 24, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • Yes, I have worked in aerial photography, and maps are not updated until everything has been re-flown, and transferred to date companies can use. It is a real tricky business, and everything has to be exact.
      I hope this helps. People ask me this all the time, because I have worked in GPS and Aerial Photography, almost my entire lifetime.

Builder on July 24, 2014 at 12:14 pm
    • I've mentioned before, my dad worked in aerial photography. I appreciate this type of artistry. He would've LOVED seeing what has been done with it.

Trish on July 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm
    • Thanks for that explaination!:)

nanwes on July 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm
  4. Love the before and after pictures. The front of the house now looks so inviting, so glad you left the chimney it adds so much curb appeal to this house. And what you did with the fireplace is awesome, so glad you make it a gas fireplace instead of the entertainment center. Thank you. Sure wish you would show the shed(garage) again. Need move pics of the inside.
    Everyone who decided to save the dining room furniture all I can say is Kudo's

Joycein NJ on July 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm
  5. PLEASE JUST SAY WHEN!

When first I saw you from afar
    With many years of wear and tear
    And looking like a fallen star
    In need of serious repair

Before day one's work had started
    She's full of grace and timeless flair
    A feel of cozy warmth imparted
    This 20's home with charm to spare

Yet now renewed in glory full
    In pride she waits to live again
    So light and bright, no hint of dull
    I'll take the keys, please just say when

DBCoop on July 23, 2014 at 8:13 pm
  6. It truly is so beautiful to see the differences in the before and after. You all saw the beauty that was within the walls, even though many had to be replaced, the 'soul' of the home was there and you saw her beauty! Bravo for all you have done!!!! She truly is a beauty and I hope she'll be mine soon, well mine, my hubby, and Marley, then of course the kids when they visit and the grandkids so they'll learn to love her so the home will stay in the family long after I leave this Earth. :) :)<3<3

nanwes on July 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm
  7. This years blog cabin is one of the best that DIY has done, but a crushed stone walkway to the front door…..come on.

Jay Michajluk on July 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm
  8. What a wonderful transformation! The house that was identical to the one my grandfather built for my grandmother so many years ago has a new life and but an old soul. This gorgeous home has been rebuilt with the same heart that my grandfather put into our old home eighty years ago. DIY should be exceedingly proud of this blog cabin, it's a beauty! I'm in love!

stlmom1 on July 23, 2014 at 10:29 pm
  9. Wow! I really do love this home. So wonderful! I only have one question…..about the boat, I did not know that blue and yellow was an option when we were voting. I am not complaining. In fact it is quite the opposite. I love the blue and yellow color scheme! Everything looks great in the house too! Great job everyone!

travelfun on July 23, 2014 at 10:32 pm
    • Blue and yellow with a white interior was not an option when we were voting. We are not getting the lovely boat at the dock. We are getting an orange boat with a dark interior. But, yay!, it's still a boat!

Lindingo on July 23, 2014 at 10:46 pm
  10. One thing I don't think I really noticed before is the front porch!!! It's such a similar porch to the original home, great job!! I don't know why I missed that, but I find more details all the time. And.. if I remember correctly, you did use the same bricks that were on the original home. Just truly dreaming on this one!!! :) <3:D

nanwes on July 23, 2014 at 10:34 pm