May 19

What’s Yardcore Doing at Blog Cabin 2014?

joel and jake moss

Happy Monday!

I hope you had a great weekend. We’re coming up on our last hangout with DIYNetwork talent shooting at Blog Cabin 2014. Yardcore hosts Joel and Jake Moss will be hosting a live Q&A alongside Chris Grundy tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET.

This is the last time we’ll to get the inside scoop on what’s going on with the construction at Blog Cabin 2014, so don’t miss it. If you have a question about the outdoor spaces, post it in the comments below and it may get answered during the chat.

WATCH THE G+ HANGOUT

1. I noticed the solar powered lanterns on the pergola. Very cool idea!

I appreciate the raised garden beds that were put in earlier, who has been caring for them during the build? Are there water timers available to get the watering necessary?

The planters on the steps coming onto the patio are gorgeous! It will be nice for the BC owner being able to look out the windows and see the beautiful color. What plants were chosen? How much & type of care do they need?

Will we get to see what is happening in the "front" of the cabin soon? Curious bloggers want to know.

Thanks!

Trish on May 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm
  2. So, a few questions. First, is the boat slip wide enough for a party barge if the winner wanted to trade in the motor boat for one of those, and would the boat lift be able to handle a party barge? Second, will there be fresh water on the dock and what will the dock bar area consist of (fridge, ice maker, sink)? Lastly, what kind of storage will be included on the dock (I'm thinking hurricane season)?

Risinglight on May 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm
    • If there's a sink and running water where does the waste water go?

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm
    • The boat is 20' long and the inside width is 82 inches outside probably about 90 inches wide.

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm
  3. Replicating the original handrail from the upstairs widows walk on the new dock widows walk. Nice touch DYI! :*;)

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm
    • Nice touch indeed. Just as we voted except I thought it was going to be the handrail for the pier. Hmmmm, wonder if there's going to be a handrail for the pier. I thought that was state as well as local code for a domestic pier.

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2014 at 3:19 pm
  4. Looks like the boys took a photo break. Finally, someone wearing a TROPCIAL SHIRT while enjoying the FLORIDA weather. Nice.

MAOW on May 20, 2014 at 2:10 pm
  5. I'm anxious to see what the path to the dock will look like. That's quite a stretch of grass to cover, and the path can make or break the look of the yard.

TwoCorgis on May 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm
    • So glad to hear there will be not path, just lawn

JoyceinNJ on May 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • The winner can always add one later if the lawn has a tendency to get mushy when there has been a lot of rain.

TwoCorgis on May 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm
    • I was hoping for flag stone, cut into the grass. If low enough you can mow right over it. When I win, that is what my hubby and I are gonna do.

jensmithwiz on May 21, 2014 at 11:59 am
    • In the G+ they said the lawn was Bahiagrass. A disadvantage to Bahiagrass is it is not very tollerant to traffic…creates a wear pattern quickly. I know that's what we had and shortly after yes we put in a paver path. This is from the Univeristy of Florida on disadvantes of Bahia, but personally the drought tolerance puts it heads and shoulders above other grasses.
      Disadvantages
      Bahiagrass forms tall, unsightly seed heads throughout the spring, summer, and fall months that many find objectionable. This necessitates regular mowing to keep the stalks from becoming too tall. The seed stems are tough and can wear out mower blades, requiring them to be sharpened frequently. Bahiagrass does not grow well in high-pH soils, such as those found in coastal areas, and therefore is not a good choice for these areas. High pH tends to cause yellowing of leaf tissue due to iron deficiency. Bahiagrass has few insect problems, but it is susceptible to mole crickets. It does not have good tolerance for shade, traffic, or saltwater. Bahiagrass grows in an open growth habit, which can result in weed encroachment into sparse areas. It has a coarse leaf texture and provides less cushioning for recreational activities than some other species. Bahiagrass does best in full sun.

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm
    • With Bahia grass being very sensitive to foot or vehicle traffic wouldn't it have been logical to make a path of some sort to avoid the inevitable set of muddy, dirt tracks in the grass looking more like a deer path to the dock?

Sally on May 20, 2014 at 5:56 pm
    • I would have thought so but then again you or I win (ok whoever wins) ;-) a path can easily be put in to our tastes! Have a great day!! :D

LRN on May 21, 2014 at 7:33 am
    • I hate bugs. I'm going to need a path to avoid damaging the prickly grass and raising up the clouds of bugs. Aren't there plants that are natural bug repellents? I wonder if any of them would thrive in that climate?

TwoCorgis on May 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm
    • They did plant flowers that are good and natural bug repellents. If you watch the interview with Chris Lambton it will tell you what type of plants they used for this reason.

CheleRS3 on May 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm
    • So, we could make a nice path down to the dock and line it with these plants. Sorry – haven't had time to watch the Chris Lambton interview – I was out of the country and I'm still getting caught up.

TwoCorgis on May 21, 2014 at 12:30 pm
  6. The HAMMOCK off the DOCK over the WATER sounds very cool. Based on their brief description I picture something like the below.

MAOW on May 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
    • Wow! I want that! I know where I'll spend most of my time, sun or shade doesn't matter. So cool

JoyceinNJ on May 20, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    • Awesome!

jensmithwiz on May 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm
  7. Great G+ spot glad to hear the grass for the lawn is Bahiagrass. It is very drought tolerent forming a deep root system when established needs little water to survive. Thought I'd pass on a like to info from University of Florida website. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh006

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  8. Gene on May 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm
    • Great link and they're not far from the BC in Plant City….which is also home to the annual Florida Strawberry Festival. BC winner whoever you are you will have to mark February 26-March 8, 2015 on your calendar as a MUST go! ;-)

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm
    • I have family in Davenport that go every year :)

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 4:39 pm
    • I lived right near Davenport over toward Lake Hatchineha. Great area you do feel like you're living in the country. :-)

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm
    • I've been to the Strawberry festival. It's great fun and they have some great entertainment. Saw Chubby Checkers a few years ago. Great show

JoyceinNJ on May 20, 2014 at 6:42 pm
    • I noticed a couple things reading about Palm Trees. "The Windmill Palm grows relatively slowly when compared to tropical palms, but will grow to 20-25 feet averaging six to twelve inches a year not the 60' + they mentioned on the Hang Out today. Secondly The Christmas Palm is moderately salt tolerant prefers moist well drained soil. To avoid root rot don’t let it sit in water. It can tolerate drought for a short time when mature enough. It was mentioned earlier by a fl blogger that the water is low right now

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 4:34 pm
    • Yes Lake Hamilton is low right now (as are most of the lakes in the area) that is why a number of the canals connecting the "Chain of Lakes" aren't really "connecting" the lakes. If you look at Google Earth you can see the natural shoreline is more back at the start of the neighbors dock. The stretch from that point out would be more mucky with more water loving plants.

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm
    • that may not be good for the Christmas palms they plan to put along side the walk way out to the dock

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 4:58 pm
    • That's what I'm thinking too!

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm
  9. It appears the dock will be awesome. However, it also appears that it's built for the young & fit and not for kids or older people who simply will not be able to negotiate the cantilevered hammocks, climb the stairs or, quite possibly, cover the 300 yds of rough bahia grass to get to the pier. Definitely a young, healthy and mobile hangout. We may have regressed a little on the concept of usability for all.

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • As far as the older folks trekking over the 300 yards of rough bahia grass goes, think how cool granny will feel driving down there in an ATV. B) But the stairs are another problem. I don't think they make those motorized stair lifts for spiral stairs…………..

Christie on May 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm
    • No motorized chair lift, but maybe she may want to sit in the shade on the bottom level with a nice mimosa.

jensmithwiz on May 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm
  10. I just viewed the Hang Out now. The plans they have for the dock sound AWESOME. I love the thought of a hammock out over the water to catch the breeze……….

Christie on May 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm