May 19

What’s Yardcore Doing at Blog Cabin 2014?

joel and jake moss

Happy Monday!

I hope you had a great weekend. We’re coming up on our last hangout with DIYNetwork talent shooting at Blog Cabin 2014. Yardcore hosts Joel and Jake Moss will be hosting a live Q&A alongside Chris Grundy tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET.

This is the last time we’ll to get the inside scoop on what’s going on with the construction at Blog Cabin 2014, so don’t miss it. If you have a question about the outdoor spaces, post it in the comments below and it may get answered during the chat.

WATCH THE G+ HANGOUT

1. Hi guys! are you going to have a seating/relaxing place in the front yard, as well, as the back? Sure would like to see the crew BBQ and have some fun on the ocean..Please :) I left Ventura, a beach town, when i was 11 1/2. My father relocated to the desert.. and all these yrs, I have wanted to get back to the beach..remembering catching little frogs and sand crabs..collecting shells..My favorite stuff i have now, is Nautical stuff.. Reminds me of that great childhood time that i had growing up at the beach. I just love the outdoors, and lots of water..and always wanted a dream garden..i had one of those when i was a kid too.. my chores of weeding, digging tree wells. Nothing like having your own garden, and fruit trees…

myshanbug on May 20, 2014 at 1:24 am
    • oh yeah, and we had walnuts too.,..

myshanbug on May 20, 2014 at 1:39 am
  2. I'm curious about what appears to be some type of saw palmetto plants down by the docks. The saw palmetto I'm familiar with grow in clumps in sandy pine flatwoods and can get out of hand if not controled. When we burned at the Nature Conservancy's DWP the saw palmetto could go quickly due to the waxy like component of the leaves (almost explode in flames). I do not have a great computer monitor so I am honestly not sure if they are saw palmettos but if they are my questions are:
    1) I've only seen them grow in sandy soils not wet locations along a lake so…. What type of saw palmetto are they that can grow in wet Florida lake soils?
    2) They grow in clumps usually 3-6' although they can get higher. What do you need to do to control them?
    Thanks!

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 7:44 am
    • PS – Almost forget. The beautiful little Cypress trees to the left of the dock. It appears 1 or 2 of them are on the BC lot. Cypress are a spectacular tree and their knees protect the shoreline against erosion especially from boat wake and waves. Please say you will be keeping those! Thanks again and have a great day!! :-)

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 7:49 am
    • Yes, please keep them. They are awesome.

jensmithwiz on May 20, 2014 at 11:00 am
  3. My gosh I love the design of the dock I love how the staircase takes you up to the top of the dock so you will be able to have a beautiful view of either the sunrise or the sunset! As nice as it would have been to have a deck outside of the master bedroom I think this is a nice trade off. The palm trees beside the entrance of the dock look like drawf palm trees that will grow only 3 or 4 feet tall, again what a nice addition. DIY as usual you thought of it all!

How lucky these guys are to come to work by boat, that is if one has to work I can't think of a better way to travel. I used to work with a lady who traveled to work by boat and she cut her commute by at least an hour every day not to mention watching the sunrise over the water on her way to work, what a relaxing way to start the day.

Ahh, to dream, to dream, I think we could all imagine what it would be like to live in this Blog Cabin on the lake with the new boat and with that dock! Good luck to us all!

Slps60 on May 20, 2014 at 8:23 am
  4. What, if any, kind of nut trees could grow in the large front expanse?

kate on May 20, 2014 at 9:28 am
  5. I hope there is room for archery. target practice! Is there going to be alot of open backyard space? Tell me about FLA weather. How many hours of full sun/part sun/shade in the frontyard/backyard? porch area? A retractable awning could be added to the porch, correct?Those are nice. A fountain/buddah in the yard/pergola area?Will there be a floor for the pagola?if so what type?How many people does the pergola hold/seat? An outdoor ceiling fan? Are the flowers/plants annuals?biannuals/perenials? Is there going to be a picnic table? Is there a certain"theme" for the yard? tropical/romantic/earthy/ colorful/nautical etc? Any cattails? orange poppy flowers?What type of driveway /sidewalk will it have? paver?asphalt?stone?cement?Winding or straight?

cucumberhoh on May 20, 2014 at 10:05 am
  6. Given the overall size of the property that the Blog Cabin resides on and the amount of new plants and trees being added completing basic maintenance could be a daunting task for the homeowner. What steps were taken to ensure that the Blog Cabin is as maintenance free as possible so that the homeowner can have some free time to use that new Ski Boat?

MAOW on May 20, 2014 at 10:33 am
  7. Good to see you guys at the BC this year. Will there be any sort of hard or level path from the patio to the dock? Grass can contain jiggers and it would be very difficult for a wheelchair or baby carriage to get down there 'cross country' style on the uneven ground. :)

AnniesOwn on May 20, 2014 at 10:35 am
  8. Hi guys, I have to wonder about the stair going up to the dock. Some people can't do stairs and if the owner has a guest in a wheel chair, how do they get up to the dock? Will there be a ramp added? Thanks.

jensmithwiz on May 20, 2014 at 11:03 am
    • Which would also be useful for bringing supplies to and from the dock and the boat (think little red wagon).

Risinglight on May 20, 2014 at 11:40 am
    • or a gas caddy to fill a thirsty boat, http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/400×40

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm
    • Jen,

Maybe GATORS can't climb STAIRS. Otherwise I can not think of any reason to install STAIRS instead of a RAMP.

MAOW on May 20, 2014 at 12:15 pm
    • LOL….Gators CAN climb! At least they can climb chain link fences…been in the news once or twice that I can think of. ;-)

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm
    • LRN,

Thanks for your insight.

I've read that GAORS can not walk BACKWARDS but I was not sure about climbing STAIRS. Since GATORS can not walk BACKWARDS I wonder how they get down from the FENCE/STAIRS once they climb up them? :p

MAOW on May 20, 2014 at 1:37 pm
    • They jump. Be careful walking under trees near the lake. ;)

Sally on May 20, 2014 at 1:42 pm
    • LOL 2 Funny! :D

LRN on May 20, 2014 at 1:42 pm
    • They fall? LOL xD

jensmithwiz on May 21, 2014 at 11:56 am
  9. Are either boat at the dock the one that goes with the house?

kate on May 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • the blue and yellow boat is the same model as the one we get but it was mentioned earlier that we get to vote on the color so that may or may not be our boat.

Gene on May 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm
  10. Just reading up on Florida and have a couple of more questions. Does the dock and pergola have any lightening mitigation? How do the designers know what causes sink holes and if there is a way to do a risk analysis before building?

kate on May 20, 2014 at 12:14 pm
    • I agree w/Kate. FL has quite a collection of "disasters" to mitigate. My greatest concern in this case would be a frame house on a lake in a low-lying area. Storm wind speeds increase around open areas like lakes and flooding can also be an issue after storms. I'm sure they are retrofitting the home w/additional wind mitigation features to meet current code, but it's still wood. I always think of the 3 little pigs. Ha! Well, I'm sure it will be beautiful in any case.

kelly on May 24, 2014 at 6:56 pm