Apr 22

Anitra Mecadon is Hanging Out With Us Tomorrow!

blog cabin 2014

You might have noticed all of the action on the Cabin Cam the past few days. That’s because DIY Network host Anitra Mecadon is at Blog Cabin 2014 shooting her hit show Mega Dens. She’s taking a break this week to answer some of your questions during a G+ Hangout.

Join us tomorrow April 23, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Anitra and Chris Grundy. If you’ve got a question for Anitra or Chris, ask in the comments below and it might get answered.

JOIN THE G+ CHAT

In case you missed last week’s G+ chat with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, watch it here.

• Posted at 3:16 pm on April 4, 2014

1. I'm confused. When I try to enter the sweeps for the bedroom accessories, it says sorry, the contest has ended, yet it says enter through May 6th?

Just Me on April 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm
    • The Cabin Comforts Sweepstakes appear to be acting up a bit. Hopefully it will be resolved soon! :)

elfie on April 23, 2014 at 11:42 pm
    • I got the same message this morning when trying to ENTER. VOTING is OK, but when I press ENTER it does not work.

MAOW on April 24, 2014 at 8:24 am
    • I got it , too. There is obviously a problem. They are sure to fix it.

Jennifer Smith on April 24, 2014 at 8:28 am
    • I have gone back several times today, still no luck. I hope the powers that be fix it soon!

stlmom1 on April 24, 2014 at 11:55 am
    • It seems to be working now.

TwoCorgis on April 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm
    • TwoCorgis,

Thanks for the "Head's Up".

MAOW on April 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm
  2. Very foggy this morning on the lake. Can't even see the water!

Ragdoll on April 24, 2014 at 8:14 am
  3. Good Morning fellow blogger friends. I hope all is well with everyone this morning. We have a fierce wind here in VT. Not a fan of a bad wind, but it's better than cold and snow. Wow, it certainly is foggy down at the blog cabin. There is lots of stuff happening on the other side of the house. I wish we could see it, but nothing seems to be happening on that front. Maybe we will get pictures on instagram later. You all have a great day and stay safe.

Jennifer Smith on April 24, 2014 at 8:35 am
  4. It looks like the boat dock is currently under construction. Yippee!!!

travelfun on April 24, 2014 at 9:21 am
  5. Not blessed with a large KITCHEN like the 2014 BC?

The below link shows a 2' by 2' Multi-Function Kitchen Appliance Tower which includes a Dishwasher, Espresso Maker, Garden, Microwave, Refrigerator, Sink ,and Stove.

MAOW on April 24, 2014 at 10:38 am
    • That was really cool..I love the fold away rooms.. Thanks for sharing!

MFM on April 24, 2014 at 3:05 pm
    • what is this all about:S

bogartandbacall on April 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm
    • 2×2 must have missed

bogartandbacall on April 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm
    • It's the new "SWISS ARMY KITCHEN" (My name, not the manufacturers) on display at a Mobile Furniture Show in Milan. I thought the BLOGGERS may find this "Kitchen of the Future" concept worth a look.

I find the fact that it includes a GARDEN which uses the DISHWASHER WATER as the water source for the plants to be particularly cool.

MAOW on April 24, 2014 at 7:52 pm
    • They have not said anything about putting this in the cabin though correct? It is really neat looking. It would be cool for a little cabin in the woods for people that go and hunt every year. It would be very functional. Thank you for sharing.

CheleRS3 on April 27, 2014 at 6:29 pm
    • Correct. To my knowledge this concept has not been addressed by DIY in any way.

I posted the above link because I thought it was cool and I hoped that the Bloggers would also find it interesting. I have often thought that "Free Standing" and easy to install Kitchen Appliance/Cabinets are an underdeveloped area of the DIY Kitchen Remodel Category.

MAOW on April 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm
  6. Re dock construction techniques: I'm guessing that the use of scaffolding in "our" dock construction is to protect the wetland area along the shore. Another guess is that the scaffolding provides a platform for drilling post holes and/or driving posts into unstable soil. Are any of you bloggers familiar with this technique?

No matter the reason, I'm sure we will be zooming the BC Cam toward the dock construction a lot in the next week.

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 11:08 am
  7. Ugly chimney cap. Many more attractive choices are available.

Ralebird on April 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm
    • I think so too. When it weathers it will not be noticed as much. You see it now just because it is so shiny.

Jay Michajluk on April 24, 2014 at 3:05 pm
    • I'd rather see more brick !!

Gene on April 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm
    • Great come-back Gene!! That girl is doing great things. DIY picked another winner!!!<3:D

Sheri McNamara on April 24, 2014 at 10:23 pm
    • I am looking at possible finish work in the form of bricks still needs to be done, or else plastic wrap would not be in position.

KMH on April 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm
  8. Who says it will be a compass? That's a picture of last years BC inlaid floor and is being used as an example to help people vote. The floor inlay we get this year will probably be completely different so don't sweat the orientation. :)

Sally on April 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    • So true….the illustrations were simply examples….from the NC and ME houses.

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm
  9. Just a guess, same as everyone else, but I believe we're going to get a, largely, floating dock with a secure pier going out to it.

Looks like a lot of effort is being made to minimize environmental impact so the fewer piles the better and pile driving rather than 'washing-in' is also a lot more environmentally sound. Maybe that's what the scaffold is for, to guide the pile-driver. :)

AnniesOwn on April 24, 2014 at 2:46 pm
    • I think you may be on to something. I usually associate floating docks with tide-water areas, but they are favored by environmentalists. I'm still hoping for a boat lift….

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 8:08 pm
    • Boat lift on a floating dock is quite possible. There are many around where we live, all on lakes. Looking around this lake almost all the docks & piers have boat lifts. It would be essential with the BC boat.

AnniesOwn on April 24, 2014 at 10:26 pm
  10. Hi everyone from Myrtle Beach, SC. We have been having so much fun here in the "warm" sun. Mid 70's most of the time. Today a little cooler 67, but that feels real warm to me. _Had my first look at the cabin cam in a number of days. Looks like someone is starting to work on the dock. Sort of a strange prep area for building such a thing. Wonder what the codes are for it. I guess that it will extend out in the water about as far as the one to the right and also the same towards the house. Wonder if a protive fence like the one to the right will be put in across the back yard with a gate at the start of the dock. I also see that we have new things to vote on. Most of the items were a no brainer, except the pillow. I know most people say down is the best, but if you have any kind of allergies that could spell trouble. That is why the memory foam is my vote. We purchased two King Micromax Down pillows (they were not cheap) and we had to switch to memory foam because of allergies. Now they only get used to fill those fancy pillows you put at the head of a bead. I think that are called shams. I call them a shame. Sorry bloggers that like them – just my thoughts.

Jay Michajluk on April 24, 2014 at 3:00 pm
    • Jay — the micromax are supposed to be hypoallergenic – I read the manufactures info on line – no real down in them. I however have severe reactions to the off gases of any foam and latex and skin reaction is worse . LOL we are all unique.

MFM on April 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm
    • I was originally thinking memory foam because of those with allergies until I also looked up the micromax and found out it was synthetic down. I bet others had concerns good post MFM

Gene on April 24, 2014 at 4:07 pm
    • Synthetic down is correct. All the info sounded good that is why we purchased them. As time went on and they were used that is when the problems started. They were taken care of to MFG requirements. My wife also puts a zipper slip cover over them. Not like what they came with. I know that memory foam has it problems also. So if you are one that takes your own pillow on vacation with you, just be careful. Good day to all. We are now off for some shopping at "Broadway at the Beach" today. High to be around 79 degrees today. Chance of a strom this PM.

Jay Michajluk on April 25, 2014 at 9:00 am
    • Have a great time at "Broadway at the Beach" great place. My grand daughter went to college at Coastal Carolina so I am familiar with the shopping and restaurants there. I am sure you are having a great time and the weather is perfect.

JoyceinNJ on April 25, 2014 at 10:51 am
    • I suspect that the neighbor to the south has the fence across the lakefront because of their swimming pool. Zoning probably requires that pools be fenced in. Also, here are a couple links for Florida dock regulations.

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 7:49 pm
    • Thanks for posting – all should read. Thoughtful to includ PDF.

Jay Michajluk on April 25, 2014 at 8:52 am
    • Fenced yard if you have a pool is code all over the country.

AbertDyess on April 25, 2014 at 9:04 am
    • No, It's not.

Ralebird on April 27, 2014 at 12:58 am
    • A pool owner's insurance would sure appreciate the fence.

RLDorf on April 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm
    • Agreed.

Ralebird on April 28, 2014 at 2:06 pm
    • It appears that some people here are in favor of spreading incorrect information. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security, especially if you're traveling. Many areas have no requirements for fencing residential pools and many others have grandfathered in existing pools when requiring barriers for new pool construction. Many states leave such laws to local authorities so be careful not to assume all parts of a state have similar requirements.

Ralebird on April 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm
    • Jay, my youngest and I have allergies. Teaching my child to get the Memory Pillow was a must! They are pricey but very worth it. I also think they keep my head cooler than "down" pillows. When we travel, my pillow goes with us. She knows when she visits us, we'll have one.
      There are SOME memory foam pillows that are giving other pillows a bad rap. Some of those are too firm and uncomfortable. Unsure if these pillows are the ones with the numerous holes in the foam portion that allows the pillow to breathe and be more flexible. If not….those of us who know will bring our own. lol

Trish on April 25, 2014 at 9:42 pm