Apr 22

Anitra Mecadon is Hanging Out With Us Tomorrow!

blog cabin 2014

You might have noticed all of the action on the Cabin Cam the past few days. That’s because DIY Network host Anitra Mecadon is at Blog Cabin 2014 shooting her hit show Mega Dens. She’s taking a break this week to answer some of your questions during a G+ Hangout.

Join us tomorrow April 23, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Anitra and Chris Grundy. If you’ve got a question for Anitra or Chris, ask in the comments below and it might get answered.

JOIN THE G+ CHAT

In case you missed last week’s G+ chat with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, watch it here.

• Posted at 3:16 pm on April 4, 2014

1. As always, that needed to be longer. I just can't get enough of Chris Grundy. He has great chemistry with everyone he works with! Anitra was great and she sounds so excited about the space. I can't wait to see how they incorporated reclaimed materials into the fireplace, as well as the "very old piece of storage" that she hauled down from Atlanta. I am intrigued!

TwoCorgis on April 23, 2014 at 3:20 pm
  2. That was an awesome G+ chat. My daughter and I sat and laughed the whole time. Grundy with Anitra is just too much. If you get a chance to see it on Youtube, you really should. Was thrilled to have another of my questions answered and I can't wait to see what is being done by MegaDens. Today on Facebook, Matt Muenster said he will be at Blog cabin and he was looking forward to it. Matt is one of my favorite crashers, so I can't wait. See you all later and always be safe.

Jennifer Smith on April 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm
  3. Noticed that the trailer is empty and there are a lot of railings (that is so a guess), down by the pond. Also, I made a mistake yesterday. It was the back door steps that looked like they were getting ready to get started on. I keep thinking that we are looking at the front of the house and not the back. I wish we could see some pics of the front too. I can't believe how far the house has come. It has been so much fun watching all the changes. I can't believe how excited I get each day because I get to vote again. I am so hooked. I love this house. It is a true gem. Keep up the good work guys. Stay safe & thank you for all that you are doing. God Bless you all.

CheleRS3 on April 23, 2014 at 3:50 pm
    • CheleRS3 when you are talking about a house on the water ocean or lake the front of the house is always the one facing the water. In this case we can not see the back of the house only the front and side. I hope that helps ????

Straybird on April 24, 2014 at 6:20 pm
    • All around our lake, every single one of the houses has the "front" door, and it is facing the road, and the lakeside is always the "back" door. Where do people enter your home? It is the "front" door isn't it?
      Why would people want to walk all the way around the house, to enter? Afterall, the foyer is on the side facing the driveway.

Builder on April 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm
    • I hear you Builder and I agree but 2013 BC they made the statement that the waterside is always the front so we will have to ask Dylan to clarify.

Straybird on April 24, 2014 at 7:06 pm
    • Not true. My brother lives on a lake and every house on their street calls the front the side facing the road and the back faces the lake. It just depends on where you live and, sometimes, how the architects designate the house. This house has already had the front designated as the side facing the road (Front porch, front door and front foyer are on that side). The builder and designers already answered this way back. :)

Sally on April 25, 2014 at 8:53 am
  4. I've seen much inconsistency from bloggers as which is the front of the house and which is the back of the house. I wonder if that had anything to do with how they voted for the placement of the inlaid compass in the middle of the living room floor by the front door instead of in they Foyer by the Main entrance?

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 4:22 pm
    • Since it is going in the living room what do you bloggers think about going one step further than the image http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/2014/02/19/diy_bc13_l… and orient it to the houses position and label N,S,E,W so they point to the correct direction.

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 4:30 pm
    • The side that faces the water is the back of the house and the side we can't see from the webcam is the front of the house.
      By the way can anyone tell me who the older gentleman with the straw hat is? He was by the buffet earlier today and now he is out front with Grundy.

JoyceinNJ on April 23, 2014 at 4:39 pm
    • you just proved my point, the side facing the lake is the front of the house, the foyer is in the back, The camera is looking at the front of the house and one side.

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 6:02 pm
    • Where you live and I live, you'd be absolutely correct. For the BC and how front/back are being applied, we are both in the minority….and for all practical purposes, wrong. And so it goes. Your point about clarity and voting is still valid, as the potential for confusion was obviously present.

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 10:58 am
    • What has become apparent from this and other BC's with water frontage is that there seem to be regional differences regarding what is considered front and back. Here in Michigan, the lake side is generally considered the "front", but that is not the way it is in some other parts of the country (maybe New Jersey?). Up here, where we have lots of lakes and most surrounded by cottages & year-round homes, the lake exposure of the house is usually the most "dressed up" side and, therefore considered "front". Maybe the most astute observation from another blogger was that the "front" is whatever the archetect / designer says it is. Since bloggers are from all over, it has become a very minor point and one that won't be resolved here.

RLDorf on April 23, 2014 at 6:20 pm
    • it is very relevant to my original post regarding if the choice or where to place the inlaid compass. look at the way it was written. http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin-2014-peoples… if you were not clear on which was the front or back door and didn't look at the floor plans and understand ware the 2 locations were in relationship to the house you could have voted opposite from what you intended. the winning location was at the from entrance !

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm
    • Gene,

DYI tried to clarify this issue (Which side is the FRONT of the house and which side is the BACK of the house) when the FIRST FLOOR PLANS were posted but based on the other comments on this thread some confusion does still exist. Per the below, DYI classifies the BACK of the house to be where the KITCHEN is on the LAKE SIDE and the FRONT of the house to be where the BEDROOMS and FOYER are on the STREET SIDE of the house.

Hope this helps.

Update 2/4/14: Revised Floor Plan

Our design team updated the floor plan to make a few things a little clearer for you all. First, although the dining room will not be its own separate room per se, it will be in between the living room and kitchen, denoted as #6 on the revised floor plan (above). Second, #2 on the floor plan is a Jack and Jill bathroom shared between the main floor’s two bedrooms (#1 and #4). Lastly, the kitchen (#3) is actually being moved to the back of the home to enjoy the lake views. The front of the house will feature the bedrooms, laundry room (#5), foyer (#8) and family room (#10).

MAOW on April 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm
    • Thanks, Ralebird and MAOW. For the sake of the Blog, it sounds like BC settled it. No matter what we classify as front or back wherever we happen to hang our hats, for the sake of the BC blog and voting, it is as BC makes it. As for voting, though I generally consider the "front" to be the side facing the lake, I thought it was pretty clear that two choices for the vote in question both involved the foyer. This reminds me of a Simon & Garfunkel interview….Garfunkel said that he thought they should be called "Garfunkel & Simon", to which Simon retorted – "I think you should".

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 10:53 am
    • I actually received a couple "thumbs downs" for my last comment!?! Good grief people, lighten up!
      (Maybe some bloggers don't like Simon & Garfunkel)

RLDorf on April 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm
  5. I am sorry that I missed the "Hangout". I hope everyone had a great time.

travelfun on April 23, 2014 at 5:08 pm
  6. I just checked the Cabin Cam and was happily surprised to see some of the construction crew out by the lake and near the side of the house. Yay!!!

travelfun on April 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm
  7. You guys must whistle while you work because it looked like you were having a grand old time at the hang out. Good for you. I think you should enjoy your work.

lfinicle on April 23, 2014 at 7:14 pm
  8. there are only two entrances the front entrance (living room) and the back entrance (the Foyer) So as above JoyceinNJ had wanted in what she believed was the front entrance she should have voted for the Foyer. I'm only wondering if not clearly defining which was the front and back door caused people to vote incorrectly and may have affected the outcome and the true wishes of the bloggers.

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm
    • This could easily be solved by labeling front and back on the floor plan diagrams.

RLDorf on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm
    • The floor pattern voted on was always for the foyer. There will be no compass rose or any other type of pattern in the living room floor. You can insist as long as you want but that does not change the fact that the front door of the house faces the road and enters into the foyer as MAOW has quoted from the people building the house.

Ralebird on April 24, 2014 at 1:52 am
    • Thank you Ralebird. That is the wau I voted. Pattern in the foyer, which faces the street, thus it is the front off the house.

JoyceinNJ on April 24, 2014 at 9:11 am
    • So many determined on the orientation of the house. Front doors, for the most part orient towards the main entranceway, which most of the time is street facing or orientated towards a main road/driveway. This includes a labeled house with a "foyer" is a generalized front entrance way and the architect has designated it as the FRONT of the house. Weather it is facing N, S, E, W is irrelevant…or facing the lake, it still has no bearing on the formal plans. Living rooms face the front and the back, side to side of homes. This living room has French doors (or could of been sliding doors) which typically face the rear of homes. We are lucky to have a lake to look at in the REAR of the property, which goes to say, the rear of the house. When the winner is moved in and he/she wants the lakeside to be the front, so be it. Congrats. Some homeowners do not even use their main entranceways or front doors utilizing side entrances, rear entrances and garage entrances. Burglars use any entrance that makes it easy to open and egress. Semantics. Personally any entrance to get to the fridge for a cold one fast and easy is the one for me.

KMH on April 24, 2014 at 4:37 pm
  9. It is such a pleasure to watch two people who work so well together .. I just had such a big smile on mu face the entire time! I am really excited to see what you two created . I can't wait to see what you are doing to the fireplace . I am sure it will be really interesting! . I am also glad you made the CD storage a hidden storage like the popcorn station was going to be — some people take thing so literally they can't see the possibilities and Thank you Grundy for putting our minds at ease regarding the foundation. I'm reserving my opinion till I see the landscapers finish. I love all the DIY & HGTV shows but the cabin is my favorite… all that enthusiasm is catching.

MFM on April 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm
  10. This is heartbreaking. There are so many challenges for the citrus growers to overcome. I hope they can come up with a solution before it's too late. http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/florida-citru

TwoCorgis on April 23, 2014 at 10:07 pm
    • Seems like the orange growers come across one thing after another. I feel for them and hope and pray they find something to help them. It is so hard when you lose your crop and pay. I hope they win. and yes too many challenges for them to overcome. I think that is why they sold their orange groves and went to condos. I don't want to see that happen again. I understand you have bills and have too eat but I hope it works out- oranges are beautiful and they are a large part of Fla. Hate to lose them like we did. What can we do?:(

bogartandbacall on April 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm