Apr 22

Anitra Mecadon is Hanging Out With Us Tomorrow!

blog cabin 2014

You might have noticed all of the action on the Cabin Cam the past few days. That’s because DIY Network host Anitra Mecadon is at Blog Cabin 2014 shooting her hit show Mega Dens. She’s taking a break this week to answer some of your questions during a G+ Hangout.

Join us tomorrow April 23, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Anitra and Chris Grundy. If you’ve got a question for Anitra or Chris, ask in the comments below and it might get answered.

JOIN THE G+ CHAT

In case you missed last week’s G+ chat with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, watch it here.

• Posted at 3:16 pm on April 4, 2014

1. will there be a retracting awning over the back patio

jack on April 23, 2014 at 2:14 am
  2. I can't wait to see what Anitra does. I love everything Mega Dens creates!

Kay on April 23, 2014 at 7:23 am
  3. Welcome Anitra & Grundy – cant wait till 3!

You two together will be a blast! I saw the "art work" being painted for the last cabin…Hope you will do another for the Florida cabin!

I was wondering about the front of the house — will there be a patio there? Down here in south Florida we chase the shade around the house in the summertime.

Also was wondering about a garage? Any chance of one next to the house? Kitchen entry?

Thanks Grundy, for taking the time to update us and for bringing us your coworkers so we get a very small glimpse into what it takes to build this cabin.

MFM on April 23, 2014 at 7:52 am
  4. I was checking out the activity at the front of the house. When I zoomed in I noticed the fellow raking around what would have the front entry of the old house. Then I also noticed the GRADE along the side of the media room actually runs TOWARD the house.
    This is for Gundy. You have already experienced a very small taste of the rain a Florida downpour can produce and the rainy season isn't even here yet. How will you correct the obivious grade issue to properly drain water AWAY from the house and not allow it to run TO the house?

LRN on April 23, 2014 at 8:08 am
    • Very good question, I was thinking the same thing. Someone was raking outside the sun room just a few minutes ago but did nothing with the grading just made it smooth. Help! We need a slope away from the house.

JoyceinNJ on April 23, 2014 at 9:06 am
    • Please folks, wait for the landscapers to do their jobs, and all will be just fine. There will be no problem with drainage, after everything is graded with the proper slope, and the patio completed on the lake side.

Builder on April 23, 2014 at 11:22 am
    • I had ask the same question a week or so ago — no comments . I do not think grading the yard correctly will be enough to ensure the stability of the foundation. I think they will need an under ground drainage system (along with gutters), due to the angle of the roofs with the sunroom and kitchen extending past the center of the cabin, this will be causing swampy areas both in the front and back of the cabin., these will keep the foundation wet, which will cause it to crumble in a few years. I would rather have a well constructed cabin than a fancy boat.

MFM on April 23, 2014 at 9:25 am
    • Personally I agree with you MFM. I know exactly where the original house was. It sat high on a hill in Dundee on well drained sandy soil (water damage to the original home was from the roof – layer on layer). Drainage to the home would not have been an issue at the originaly location. That is also why in that area of Dundee and Lake Wales older homes can have basements.

LRN on April 23, 2014 at 9:59 am
    • Drainage at this site has nothing to do with soil conditions at the old one. There are many reasons not to be concerned about runoff at this stage. They include well draining soil, a new solid foundation and all the landscaping and contouring still to be performed.

Ralebird on April 23, 2014 at 12:37 pm
    • Where do you live Ralebird? I only saw a rough footer and untreated cinderblock set as the foundation. That is not sufficient for loose sandy soil here in south Fl. The moisture/humidity has a tendency to deteriorate mortar and the block. The sudden down pours can dump 10 inches of water in 15 or 20 minutes, displacing that sand and causing foundation cracking . This is not something that can be remedied with plants or grading. In Broward it is required to pour a complete slab before adding the block and even this does not work all the time even with proper drainage installation.. The sand some times washes out and the slab shifts & cracks ,the walls crack causing interior & roof structure damage.Repair can cost much more than the original cost of the structure, not to mention black mold. Did you see some additional foundation work that I did not?

MFM on April 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm
    • If you were watching when the original foundation was installed, you would have seen them pour a concrete footing. , Then, 4 rows of concrete block on top of it, very similar to normal house foundations, only this one does not have a basement, so it does not have as many rows of block.

This foundation is not going anywhere. The brick is fastened to the blocks of the house foundation, using the customary metal clips to attach them to the blocks. No reason to worry about this home foundation. Everything has to be built according to code, or it would never have been passed by the inspector.

Builder on April 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm
    • Well, you got your question answered. I liked the first answer – that Grundy would use his magical powers and fix it with a stare from his eyes. I kind of drifted off during the more technical answer, but it sounds like the water will drain around the property and down to the lake. Hopefully, they'll explain it as they work on the landscaping. I need a visual! xD

TwoCorgis on April 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    • I was pleased to hear they would use a swale and it sounded like it would be around the entire house. When the rains come in Florida it pours like MFM says 10" in 15-20 minutes isn't unusal! Didn't realize it until I saw it myself! Drainage is a cricital component of construction in Florida and if not properly down it will create serious problems. It doesn't take anytime for black mold to take hold and mildew is always an issue with the humidity. We had to pressure wash our CBS home and cement drive and walkways quite often just for the mildew….and we didn't have trees near our house or plants right up close to it. :-)

LRN on April 23, 2014 at 3:34 pm
    • Florida is tough, you've got the rainy season, hurricane season, the hot and humid season and oh yeah, the sink holes that know no season…. I'm sure they have to take all these things into account.

FLnative on April 28, 2014 at 12:10 am
  5. I actually added this to my work calendar so that no business meetings will be scheduled over this. Shame on me, I know! ;-) I'm excited to see how Anitra and team try to top the media room from Blog Cabin 2013. I loved that room!

TwoCorgis on April 23, 2014 at 8:09 am
  6. Good morning fellow bloggers! Beautiful in Florida again, but cold and rainy in VT. Noticed work going on everywhere. It is a wonderful thing. Can't wait for the dock that is being worked on. Will be at the Grundy and Anitra chat. Hope it's longer than the last one. Have a great day and be safe.

Jennifer Smith on April 23, 2014 at 9:25 am
  7. My question for Anitra. I know that the bloggers voted for DVD storage in the wall, but will there be other built in or extra storage that you will be adding since storage is necessary?
    Thanks in advance!

Jennifer Smith on April 23, 2014 at 9:27 am
  8. It doesn't appear that DYI is filming the DOCK installation. I wonder why.

Tons of home improvement shows broadcast remodels of Baths, Kitchens, and Rec Rooms but I've never personally seen a home improvement show do a DOCK installation before so it would be something different.

MAOW on April 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm
    • I agree that the dock installation is really interesting – and confusing… does anyone know what those people are doing out by the lake with all the scaffolding and floating barriers?

Ragdoll on April 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm
    • it's one of the craziest things I have ever seen *L*

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm
    • The floating yellow boom and the black fabric barriers are actually to protect the lake from any silt or debris from construction. The boom would keep any floating materials from getting out into the lake and potentially becoming a hazard and the black fabric is actually a construction silt fence. I do agree using scaffolding to build a dock in odd to say the least. I did see folks building various types of docks when I lived in the area but never using scaffolding. Very interesting!

LRN on April 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm
    • I live just across from this new place you guys are putting up and Id live to see the dock on line getting built. Great idea with putting the yellow barriers up to stop stuff getting in to the lake!

davesmall83 on May 2, 2014 at 5:15 pm
    • I thought the same thing when they built Blog Cabin 2013. I wish we could have seen it. This one is fascinating. I've been trying to zoom in, but I keep focusing on the wrong part of the screen.

TwoCorgis on April 23, 2014 at 2:45 pm
    • I watched several types of dock installations on one of the DIY sites last week – none were quite this big. It looks to me like it is going to be a wood dock install where they use water jets to dig the holes, maybe that is why they have the yellow barriers out in the water to avoid stirring up the silt causing problems with the rest of the lake.. I could be wrong 'cause I don't see any wood poles anywhere.and I think they would need to be really long. but it doesn't look like any of the other types I saw — one was on a Vanilla Ice Project. They were fascinating to watch.

MFM on April 23, 2014 at 7:56 pm
  9. I'm not sure what they are doing. Maybe the floating barriers are to discourage alligators. There is one worker down there without a shirt and he sure looks red. I think a sunburn. Camera won't let me zoom on the front of the house. Every time I try I get caught up in the magnolia tree.

JoyceinNJ on April 23, 2014 at 2:30 pm
  10. Here is a question for Grundy – Can you give us a breakdown of the activity we see down by the lake today, I would guess they are getting ready to put in the dock but I have never seen it done quite like this before. Please walk us through the process.

Gene on April 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm