Apr 22

Anitra Mecadon is Hanging Out With Us Tomorrow!

blog cabin 2014

You might have noticed all of the action on the Cabin Cam the past few days. That’s because DIY Network host Anitra Mecadon is at Blog Cabin 2014 shooting her hit show Mega Dens. She’s taking a break this week to answer some of your questions during a G+ Hangout.

Join us tomorrow April 23, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Anitra and Chris Grundy. If you’ve got a question for Anitra or Chris, ask in the comments below and it might get answered.

JOIN THE G+ CHAT

In case you missed last week’s G+ chat with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, watch it here.

• Posted at 3:16 pm on April 4, 2014

1. Watching the measuring and marking that's being done to the right of the pier line to the dock is tending to reinforce my earlier guess that they may build the dock entertainment area (bar, grill etc.) to the right of the pier on dry land and not over the water. That would comply with the code stating only water related structures should be built over the water on a dock. :D ^_^

Alternatively, they may be building a boat house and ramp but that could eat into the view considerably. The land is riparian I'm sure so there may be local EPA regulations governing what can be built in that location and how it's built (raised above flood level perhaps?).

AnniesOwn on May 1, 2014 at 9:58 am
    • I didn't consider a third option – marking an area for cars to park near the lake. :$

AnniesOwn on May 1, 2014 at 11:56 am
    • Well, there are people down at the end of the scaffolding working on the dock right now. I suspect your option 3 might be the one that is most likely. As for the code, I checked both the WH and Polk County web sites for definitive info on the BC site. I couldn't find any mention of the BC lot or surrounding lots at the WH site. At the Polk County site (on the assessor's / land use section), I did. "Our" lot and those around it are listed as "unincorporated", while city properties are "incorporated". I still could be wrong (I have been wrong before), but it appears that the only codes that apply are the State's.

RLDorf on May 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm
    • Winter Havens boundaries & codes can be found on 'Municode.com' https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=

The section covering docks piers is section is Sec. 21-103. Accessory uses

There are many pages of boundary descriptions to the city but it appears that Winter Haven codes are in force on all three Lake Hamiltons.

Section 21-103 (2) h states that "Living quarters and other non-water dependent structures are prohibited" on docks.

I agree that we don't know for sure whether the BC is actually covered by the Winter Haven codes, however, The town of Lake Hamilton's codes look to be even more restrictive – " no boathouses or permanent covering shall be provided over the dock or boat slip which is located beyond the water line of any waterway,". Dundee seems to have pages and pages of regulations regarding docks too.

I'm sure DIY will have contacted the appropriate authority and obtained the necessary permits etc. It will be interesting to see whether they build the dock entertainment area over the water or over land near the water and attached to the pier & dock. I guess we'll know in a few weeks. :) :D

AnniesOwn on May 1, 2014 at 2:49 pm
    • Thanks for the link! Wow….six pages, single space to describe the WH city boundaries….and here is why it takes six pages:

You'll need to scroll down a little to get to the second map…where the boundaries are drawn in red.

RLDorf on May 1, 2014 at 5:52 pm
    • What happened to the old days when a city built a wall around and that was that? ;) :)^_^

AnniesOwn on May 1, 2014 at 5:54 pm
    • On the WH gov't website I found the application for individual property owners to request annexation into the city. I would imagine the property would have to be contiguous to existing city boundaries, but if the boundary was immediately to your right, and I lived immediately to your left, we could both request annexation and a new "finger" of WH would stick out from the old boundary. Here's WH's current zoning map. I think anything "white" (not represented in the map's legend) isn't in the city. I doubt that for our purposes, it really doesn't matter much, but it is kind of fascinating.:)

RLDorf on May 1, 2014 at 6:13 pm
  2. Good morning blogging pals! I hope you are all having a wonderful day. I am hoping to see the sun at some point today. The dampness is making my arthritis act up today, so I slept late. I was excited to see Grundy and Matt outside doing something. Hubby and I are debating what it is. I had to laugh, as much as we watch DIY, he still doesn't get that Matt does bathrooms. I think he ignores everything that doesn't have to do with outer space, computers, the military, and Nichole Curtis (LOL). I am so thrilled for the hangout today. I am surprised that nothing has been put up so we can ask questions here like the last couple of times. Guess things are shaken up often to keep us guessing. Anyway, I have to get moving. I have to get my house cleaned at some point because I will be out all day Saturday. Have a wonderful day and as always, stay safe.

jensmithwiz on May 1, 2014 at 10:45 am
  3. Hey All, Matt just posted on facebook that they are building the headbord for the master bedroom outside.

jensmithwiz on May 1, 2014 at 12:12 pm
    • Based on the results of the Blogger Votes they will be making a DIY FABRIC HEADBOAD.

Based on comments made during their 2013 BATH CRASH at the BC, this will be the third year in a row Chris and Matt have made the Master BR Headboard. Loved the 2013 Master BR Headboard and can't wait to see the 2014 version.

MAOW on May 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm
  4. Those back steps are going to be great. There will be enough room on each side for flower pots. Like the way the copied the original steps.

Jay Michajluk on May 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm
    • There had been concerned about how high the back step edges were. If others are coming back to read this blog, I checked out the outdoor voting features. The curved deck actually shows how these steps were intended. So, peeps can check out the image there. MORE flowers? Yippee!

Trish on May 1, 2014 at 3:47 pm
  5. Are you guys putting in large picture windows looking out on to the lake? Also, are the guys doing the job going to be getting wet and giving barefoot waterskiing a go being as they are out working on the lake everyday?

davesmall83 on May 2, 2014 at 5:18 pm
  6. will the backyard be enclosed( secure) enough so a dog will not have to be tied

bill on May 3, 2014 at 1:08 pm