Apr 15

Chris Grundy + Jason Cameron Host a G+ Hangout Tomorrow

chris grundy and jason cameron

Join us tomorrow, April 16, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Chris Grundy and Jason Cameron. We’ll get the scoop on the construction process of the home and catch up with these two since our last G+ hangout. If you have a question you’d like us to ask Jason or Chris, post it in the comments below and it might get answered!

If you’ve never watched a G+ hangout, here’s the 411.

What is a G+ hangout?

It’s a live video chat hosted publicly by DIY Network on the DIY Network G+ account. Here’s a more thorough explanation from Google.

How can I watch?

You can watch on the event page here. If you have a G+ account, you can RSVP and let your friends know you’re going.

Do I need a G+ account?

You do not have to have an account to watch the hangout.

What if I miss the hangout?

You can watch the hangout later on our YouTube channel or come back to the blog tomorrow and we’ll post a link!

CHECK OUT DIY NETWORK’S G+ PAGE

• Posted at 3:49 pm on April 4, 2014

1. Its after 3 p.m. but I'm not getting video (says to try again later). Am I the only one??

LRN on April 16, 2014 at 3:09 pm
    • LRN,

The "Hang Out" just finished. It lasted about 7 minutes. Grundy had energy PLUS (As usual).

Your question regarding Termites was asked. Grundy advised that he checked over every inch of wood personally using his microscope to ensure no Termites remained.

MAOW on April 16, 2014 at 3:16 pm
    • Cool….perhaps it was because my Internet is old Version 9 because of some of my programs. I'll catch it on You Tube. Thanks!! :-)

LRN on April 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm
  2. The "hangout" was very fast. Chris Grundy was on a FL high. I guess it will be BYOP. (bring your own pool)
    Chris stated that there will be no pool.

Jay Michajluk on April 16, 2014 at 3:23 pm
  3. Jason stated that there is to be many things happening in the back yard soon. He told us to keep a close watch the the cabin cam.

Jay Michajluk on April 16, 2014 at 3:26 pm
  4. Sounds like we will have plenty to watch for. I just love to be able to watch what is happening. So sad when all the action is inside or out front. This house is so awesome, Dreaming of living there

JoyceinNJ on April 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm
  5. I just finished watching the "hangout". Thanks guys for answering some of our questions. You are doing a great job at Blog Cabin 2014!!!!!!!

travelfun on April 16, 2014 at 4:41 pm
  6. Re the boat: I stopped in at a local MasterCraft dealer this afternoon…..beautiful boats! Dealers will have NXT showroom models in the next 3 – 4 weeks. In the mean time, the X2 is pretty close to what the NXT will be like, but the NXT won't have quite as many bells & whistles. The NXT pricing will start at about 50K, but the sales guy said they expect most NXTs will go out the door for between 55K to 65K once buyers add on extras.

There was some discussion about the boat's fuel requirements. The dealer told me that the NXT's engine will run fine on regular unleaded. The boat's draft is 27", which may be an issue with some parts of the lake, but only an idiot would zip around in a boat as nice as a MasterCraft without knowing the lake bottom.

RLDorf on April 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm
  7. Would love a pool???

Robin on April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm
    • Okay. Done! Just deposit 35K into my account after I win and I will personally buy dinner as we discuss the location of the pool in the backyard. We will take a tour of Lake Hamilton on the Mastercraft boat just in time for the fall breezes over the lake. And thank you in advance.

KMH on April 16, 2014 at 8:36 pm
    • The boat will carry 11 of us…..the line forms after me!

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 4:01 pm
    • We were told today NO POOL.

Jay Michajluk on April 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm
    • HGTVs GARDEN site has an excellent DUMPSTER DIVE pool. Wish those dumpsters from this site were still around. I'm already trying to figure out how to get one of these in our backyard! What a great way to reuse something so huge and unsightly.

Trish on April 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm
    • Excellent idea for the redneck pool. Just bury in ground and hope oxidizing occurs real slow.

KMH on April 18, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  8. Here is info about Polk County lakes (generally) an Lake Hamilton (specifically – page 83).

According to the depth diagram for Lake Hamilton "our" new boat should get lots of use.

RLDorf on April 16, 2014 at 11:28 pm
    • wow only 12.5 feet deep, *LOL* to me that's shallow, I'm used to 30'-60' deep Lakes

Gene on April 17, 2014 at 3:59 am
    • Used to the Atlantic Ocean! Depth—-yes! Bowl shaped? Not really!

mrmoogy on April 17, 2014 at 9:21 am
    • Most Michigan lakes (my stomping grounds) are deeper than 12.5' also. However, I'll be happy if most of the lake can accommodate the boat's 27" draft. I have noticed that "our" neighbor to the south has a fairly large boat (looks like a ski boat) on the lift and that there is another good size ski boat tied up on his dock. I can't imagine anyone spending the big bucks on these boats if the lake significantly limited their use. When I win and make the winner's weekend visit, I intend to ask the neighbor where he fuels up his boat(s).

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 4:07 pm
    • Dorf I think the extra boat next door is a new mastercraft we will have to wait to see what they put in the new dock.

KenD on April 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm
    • I was thinking that too. The chrome tower looks like the MC ski towers that I saw at the MC dealer on Thursday. Unless it is one of the pre-production run units MC is producing for dealer showrooms, it probably isn't an NXT. Most of their boats are built to order.

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 8:43 pm
    • We will watch to see if that boat gets used for photo shoots later when the dock gets built.

KenD on April 18, 2014 at 4:14 am
    • Most lakes in Florida are shallow. When we started canoeing we asked our friends what we should do if we capsized in the middle of the lake….their reply "Stand-up"! No Joke!! LOL

LRN on April 17, 2014 at 7:26 am
    • RLDorf,

Thanks for the post.

I was just on the Cabin Cam and there was a Jon Boat in the water just off the property. They appeared to be moving a pole up and down to test water depth and the lake bottom content.

MAOW on April 17, 2014 at 9:46 am
    • Outstanding! We have a dock in our near future. We all knew it was coming, but it is nice to see progress in that area.

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 10:55 am
  9. Bloggers now that we have learned for sure that there will be no pool, except maybe a kiddy pool for Grundy's next G+ Hangout. what do you think about hauling in some sand to make a nice beach area?

Gene on April 17, 2014 at 3:55 am
    • I suspect that there are environmental regulations that limit alteration of the shoreline.

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 10:59 am
    • I sure hope so with the bird nesting area close by.

JoyceinNJ on April 17, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    • do you really think a little sand is going to bother the birds.

Gene on April 17, 2014 at 3:54 pm
    • If there are any limitations on what you can do with the shoreline, it would probably be tied to wetland regulations. Looking at the aerial photos on Google Earth, it looks like the neighbor to the north may have brought in sand. Therefore, there may not be any relevant restrictions. It is common to allow the addition of sand on the shore, but not in the water adjacent to the shore. In Michigan, where inland lake levels often drop in late summer, many people get around the restrictions by waiting until then to spread sand on the now expanded shore. This results in a sandy lake bottom for a few yards out in the next early summer.

RLDorf on April 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • I think all the trucks bringing the sand in will disturb them.

JoyceinNJ on April 17, 2014 at 7:08 pm
  10. Good morning to all,
    Wow, am I ever ready to move south. Still another snowstorm yesterday afternoon, and all night long. One neighboring town received 19.1 inches of snow, so our schools are closed again today, for the 8th time this winter/spring. Our snowfall total was about 15-16 inches, and so wet that it sticks to the shovel. I quit. The rest will have to melt, until it is time to move to Lake Hamilton, and warm weather. Green grass, a nice blue lake, and WARM weather. Anyone want some free snow shovels?? That should put our winter snow total to like 92". I thought only Buffalo NY got that much snow every winter.

Builder on April 17, 2014 at 9:13 am
    • What happens when this year's snow finally melts? I fear there will be flooding in the near future. Too bad the water can't be piped west where it is needed!

LAUDGIRL on April 17, 2014 at 9:20 am
    • All of our previous snow had melted, and our lake never came up one bit. The ground is so terribly dry, so not any runoff. Right now, there is the majority of the ice still on the lake, and docks are all sitting high and dry, about 4 feet above any water. Our dock is still about 30-40 feet from any water, so it looks like another year of no swimming for the kids, unless we move to Lake Hamilton.

Builder on April 17, 2014 at 9:55 am