Apr 15

Chris Grundy + Jason Cameron Host a G+ Hangout Tomorrow

chris grundy and jason cameron

Join us tomorrow, April 16, 2014 at 3 p.m. ET while we chat live at Blog Cabin 2014 with Chris Grundy and Jason Cameron. We’ll get the scoop on the construction process of the home and catch up with these two since our last G+ hangout. If you have a question you’d like us to ask Jason or Chris, post it in the comments below and it might get answered!

If you’ve never watched a G+ hangout, here’s the 411.

What is a G+ hangout?

It’s a live video chat hosted publicly by DIY Network on the DIY Network G+ account. Here’s a more thorough explanation from Google.

How can I watch?

You can watch on the event page here. If you have a G+ account, you can RSVP and let your friends know you’re going.

Do I need a G+ account?

You do not have to have an account to watch the hangout.

What if I miss the hangout?

You can watch the hangout later on our YouTube channel or come back to the blog tomorrow and we’ll post a link!

CHECK OUT DIY NETWORK’S G+ PAGE

• Posted at 3:49 pm on April 4, 2014

1. Good morning everyone. All of the questions are great ones, I only wish there had been an entrance near the kitchen so we could load in groceries. As it is they will have to be dragged through the whole house.
    Have a Blessed day and keep safe.

JoyceinNJ on April 16, 2014 at 9:04 am
    • Or worse, coming back in from the lake, you go right into the dining/living room. Pretty messy.

M Adams on April 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm
    • Very true and it doesn't sound like an outdoor shower either

JoyceinNJ on April 27, 2014 at 5:50 pm
  2. Watching these two filming outside the sunroom right now. xD

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2014 at 9:13 am
    • They looked like they were having a good time. It's great to see Grundy on site! So excited for this afternoon!

stlmom1 on April 16, 2014 at 9:38 am
  3. Having seen how much water was running off the roof end in the rainstorm yesterday, the puddling and how much yard soil was washed away are there any plans to mitigate erosion from the roof runoff on the ends and front of the house?

I'm assuming the patio will deflect water at the back and prevent erosion there.

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2014 at 9:58 am
    • The grass and plants used for Landscaping will help with "Run Off" but I saw exactly what you did yesterday and I am not so sure Landscaping alone will help once the really heavy summer rains fall.

I have been in summer storms before in FL and they are like "Driving thru a swimming pool").

MAOW on April 16, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • I agree. Yesterday was just a 'taste' of what can come. The soil looks to be very light & sandy. It's probably good for drainage but hard runoff like yesterday will wash out plants and grass really easily, especially before it has time to root well.

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2014 at 10:16 am
    • All plants and shrubs will be heavily mulched, like last year, so erosion will not be a problem. With the fiber liner under the mulch, the water will seep right through, leaving the mulch in place.

Builder on April 16, 2014 at 10:34 am
    • When we lived there believe me yesterday was a minor downpour…MAOW you are right on it is like driving thru a swimming pool. We had plantings well munched with fabic underneath and yup the mulch would wash out in places. It was recommended we install 6-7" rain gutters and downspouts to take the runoffer well away from the foundation/slab of the house to revent erosion around and even under the house. I'd love to hear how they will address the issue – great questions!

LRN on April 16, 2014 at 11:06 am
    • Was in St. Augustine some years back when a late June storm came up. It was just seconds that the street was full to the top of the curb. Had to pull off into a parking lot until the storm passed. I wished that this house had 6" rain gutters and down spouts. They could have run the spouts under ground away from the house using pop-up at the end of the run. I guess they could be added. Just would not want to dig up the landscaping to run the water away.

Jay Michajluk on April 16, 2014 at 9:12 pm
    • You are exactly right Jay! That is the best solution and would prevent erosion under the house. Recently a home owner in the Tampa area awake to a "sink hole" in the middle of her driveway right in front of the garage door (she couldn't get her car out). From what I gathered in the article it wasn't a real sink hole it was because of runoff from the house or irrigation that migrated under her driveway slab causing it to collaspe. Easy fix but prevention is the best solution! :-)

LRN on April 17, 2014 at 7:31 am
    • I made the suggestion a few days ago that they should setup a underground rain water collection system for the run off to be used to water the lawn, Garden, and other plantings. This would stop the run off from eroding near the foundation. When it rains in Florida it often rains hard !

Gene on April 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm
    • As some local Lake Hamilton residents have already blogged, Why not use the lake water. Just install a small submersible pump with an intake filter and pump lake water for irrigation. There's absolutely no need for any tanks to be built under or above ground. Why make things complicated when there's already a huge water reservoir on site and ready too use. ;)

AnniesOwn on April 17, 2014 at 11:01 pm
    • Water diverters will help but the main flow needs a tank or a French drain out into the property or into a soaker system. The soil in the middle of Florida is easy to drain, not like loam. We're on a hill here on the E coast so we get the neighbors fill in hard rain. Been having storms the last couple of days here.

mrmoogy on April 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm
  4. Nice to see Jason and Chris outside today.But what in the world is he going to use that huge hammer on?

Angelways on April 16, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • If I were one of our beloved FLAMINGO's I would be very nervous right about now.

They don't call the shows SLEDGEHAMMER and CRASHERS for nothing.

MAOW on April 16, 2014 at 10:11 am
    • I just saw 4 Pinkie Flamingo's out by the water,so no Pinkie croquet today!!

Angelways on April 16, 2014 at 10:35 am
    • If you all remember, the flamingo is the mallett for croquet in Alice in Wonderland.

Jennifer Smith on April 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm
    • Rough croquet?

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2014 at 10:16 am
    • Based on the "Hang Out", the SLEDGEHAMMER was used on the stair case inside. Apparently, Grundy did not like the existing stair case and took the SLEDGEHAMMER to it. Now it is Jason's job to provide a new and improved stair case.

MAOW on April 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    • If you remember the original stair case was heading in a different direction and had to go anyway.
      Maow – Let me say this. I was on G+ this afternoon after changing my day around so I could be near the computer. Expecting a full half hour of conversation covering important issues. I must say I was disappointed with Mr. Grundy. For most of you that think he walks on water, the "Hang Out" today was a little slapstick. Sounded to me that there was to much out the night before between him and Jason. There were many question that you all posted that were not even touched upon. We only got 7 min out of 30. There were many questions posted that deserved to be answered. DIY let do better the next time.

Jay Michajluk on April 16, 2014 at 9:29 pm
    • I have to say, Jay, that I agree with you. Much to my dismay, the only information I got was that we have no termites (which I would have guessed) and they moved the staircase. I wonder if it is because "Sledgehammer" only focused on the entryway and many of our great questions had to do with other parts of the house. If that was the case, a little prep would have gone a long way for Chris and Jason to make a more informative and longer (as promised) conversation. We all love them both, so info on their "man date" was not necessary. Info on the Blog Cabin was! Please do better next time DIY!

stlmom1 on April 17, 2014 at 8:21 am
    • I do think that all the sledgehammering was done when the house was in location and lowered to the blocks. It would have to have been in that time frame. Everything inside the house was removed. In some of the post demo photos it was just a open shell. It was at that point that they started removing parts of the outside walls. Replacing them with new one to keep the roof up. New inside wall were going up at the same time to support the big new beams to hold up the second floor over the DR and LR areas. Once the outside walls were done then the rest of the old roof came off a section at a time. I would say that everything above the first floor walls is new construction.

Jay Michajluk on April 17, 2014 at 4:26 pm
    • Jay,

I do remember the original stair case and I believe that the original stair case was removed before yesterdays filming. When reviewing the 56 "Renovation Diary" Photo's (Which were provided before yesterday) there are photo's which should have shown the original stair case but did not.

Based on the Photo's of the upstairs an opening was already in place for the new stair case location and a "Make Shift" Railing was put in place to safely allow workers and materials to go upstairs. Therefore, I believe a temporary set of stairs were in place yesterday and that is what Grundy removed with his Sledgehammer.

I agree that the broadcast could have contained more information and responses to the Bloggers questions but I don't mind the slapstick. Ideally, each broadcast should teach and entertain .

MAOW on April 17, 2014 at 10:08 am
    • Right on.

Jay Michajluk on April 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm
  5. can we see what"s going on out front

bill w on April 16, 2014 at 10:20 am
    • I think they went inside with that sledgehammer!

Angelways on April 16, 2014 at 10:37 am
  6. How about a sandy beach? Much more practical than a pool and less upkeep.

Chuck on April 16, 2014 at 10:33 am
  7. how will we have access to the lake party,swim ,fishing,dock.a boathouse will there be power by the water. how about storage dock&lake equipment . will we be able to remove an launch the boat from the property

bill w on April 16, 2014 at 10:48 am
  8. Sounds like fun. Hopefully I will be able to be there for the "hangout".

travelfun on April 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm
  9. I love, love, love this house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

nanwes on April 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm
  10. The cabin is looking gorgeous guys and gals beautiful….

twoTERRIERs on April 16, 2014 at 1:03 pm