Mar 20

People’s Choice Round Six: Vote for All Things Outdoors

It’s time for round six of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving outdoors. For the next two weeks, you’ll be picking a patio construction plan, fire pit design, backyard game, and more. You’ve got eight decisions to make. Choose wisely, and choose up to ten times a day.

Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments below!

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 5:19 pm on March 3, 2014

1,101 Comments

1. Oakridge® laminated shingles have a warm, inviting look in popular colors for a step up from traditional three-tab shingles. With an expanded Oakridge® shingle color palette that includes a collection of Artisan Colors, they provide a unique blend of artistry and craftsmanship that will give the blog cabin a look that is anything but ordinary.
    They're not only beautiful, they're durable:
    They have a Limited Lifetime Warranty (for as long as you own your home)
    Wind Resistance warranty 110/130-MPH and are Algae Resistance
    Their Shasta White color meets ENERGY STAR® ratings requirements for the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012. For more info go to the Owens Corning web page. http://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/…shingles/oakridge

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 12:01 pm
    • Hi Jay, Thank you for the web page. I looked all over for it when I saw "Oakridge Shingles" on the shingle packages, but couldn't find the Website. I like the Shasta White best, I think I saw a touch of light green in it, did you??Next the Oyster Shell, then the Beachwood Sand…I don't care for the dark shingles because they absorb too much heat and it is so hot here in the summertime ..The Oakridge Shingles have so many good qualities plus great warranty and ratings…Nice choice. Did you see the Hip & Ridge Shingles? I thought those gave a unique style to the roof….Interesting…. and might add character to the Bungalow too…The only thing is I didn't see it in one of those light colors I like…Rats!!!
      Jay did you see our new addition??? Our famous little Magnolia tree on the right side of the Bungalow has a little Flower bud. I saw it this morning, I was so happy, a true sign of Spring…Love Magnolias and they have a wonderful fragrance…
      Hope your snow is melting or are you still knee deep? Another cold front is coming down and there is 50 to 60% chance of storms here on Monday and Tuesday..No roofing will take place for a few days, if they don't do it today and tomorrow. Will all that rain effect the cover that's on the roof now if it gets wet before the shingles go on??? I would think it would trap the moisture underneath and wouldn't be good for the roof.. Soon you will thaw out, Spring has got to show up in the North sooooon…Stay warm and keep Your family safe ^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on March 22, 2014 at 2:30 pm
    • It reached 60 degrees today but windy. Fired up the smoker and did a 7 pound chicken with hickery smoke and a special rub. (7 hours) All our snow is gone, but look out next Tuesday.
      I did see something in the tree but thought it was a brown leaf – will look again.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 7:01 pm
    • Yum Jay what time is dinner?? Sounds great!!! So glad your snow is gone but did hear another round is about to begin in your area first of next week..:( Big rains for us on Monday and Tuesday…Spring flowers and yard need the rain to bring May Flowers ^_^B)

Jennie/Florida on March 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm
    • The color of shingles being used is Estate Gray.

Ralebird on March 23, 2014 at 11:29 am
    • Where is that info?

Jay Michajluk on March 23, 2014 at 7:26 pm
    • Printed on the side of the bundles.

Ralebird on March 23, 2014 at 10:39 pm
    • I like the Sand Castle color myself…….but you can't argue with the Star!

stlmom1 on March 22, 2014 at 6:09 pm
  2. These Oakridge Shingles are made by Owens Corning. They have a long list of good features. All that go well wtih our blog cabin. Check out for yourself at Owens Corning's web page.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm
  3. I have checked out the Oakridge Roof Shingles at their well know MFG's (Pink Panther) web page and found that they have many good features that will go well for our blog cabin and the area that it is in. Check the info out for your self. For some reason when I state the MFG's name my post is deleted.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm
  4. This brand of roof shingles are good stuff. Check them out for yourself. Just google the name and it will show you where to look.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 12:16 pm
  5. Sorry people my Comcast internet kept dropping off and told me that I lost everything. Sorry for the over posting. The first post tells it all. Very windy here to day.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm
    • Windy here too Jay, but at least it is sunny! I am so ready for winter to be over!!;)

Sha on March 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm
    • Wind here too, and snow. Wish to be in Florida!

Jennifer Smith on March 22, 2014 at 3:12 pm
    • I'm on Florida's East Coast. 80 deg, 60% humidity, 5 mph wind. But, when August comes, it'll be 100+ with 100% humidity no air flow and mosquitos so thick you can see them flocking in balls as they fly.
      We had some so thick one years, folks were calling them 'Gallon Nippers'.

mrmoogy on March 22, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • Did you know that flies or mosquitos can not fly in a wind of only 3 MPH?

Jay Michajluk on March 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm
    • Almost certainly they were not mosquitoes. They were in all probability lake flies. Mosquitoes don't form 'balls' as they fly but lake flies do. They look very similar and most people can't tell the difference. Clouds of lake flies can get so thick they choke boat engines and there are reports that humans and livestock near or on lakes have been asphyxiated just by huge numbers of these flies clogging noses & mouths they are so thick. They don't bite though.

DannyF on March 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm
  6. My voting has matched all but the bird bath, considering the house is near the water there will be plenty of water fowl which means lots of bird poo, i think the flower pot will add additional color and beauty. I am so excited to see this completed. Its a beautiful day here in New Mexico high today will be 73 degrees, perfect day to work in flowere beds. Hope evereyone has a blessed and wonderful day.

lorie_N_NM on March 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm
    • If you win you can change it's use for a floral piece.

Denise_D_ on March 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm
    • yep i am loving that idea

lorie_N_NM on March 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm
  7. Wow,the B.C. is looking good! I have not checked in on it since I fell on black ice(3-5-14) and broke my left leg & ankle.All seems to be going great.

Angelways on March 22, 2014 at 12:41 pm
    • Man good grief! – are you all right? How long will you be laid up?

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 7:04 pm
    • Thanks for asking,It's painfull but not as bad as one might think.I'm hoping to return to work around May5th.

Angelways on March 23, 2014 at 9:03 pm
    • Oh no! I hope all gets better soon.

Jennifer Smith on March 23, 2014 at 9:58 am
    • Thank you for your well wishes!

Angelways on March 23, 2014 at 9:05 pm
    • That is really too bad, that must have really hurt, I too fell on ice, down 13 steps on my side, I never expected ice and didn't see it, fortunately I ended up with only bruises and sore. Prayers are with you!

Slps60 on March 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm
    • Wow,I bet that hurt ! It would not have been as bad a break ,If I hadn't landed on my right leg .Thanks for the prayers,I need all I can get.

Angelways on March 23, 2014 at 9:19 pm
    • Angelways, I am so sorry for your fall. How awful! Now I really know how lucky I was! I tripped over an uneven sidewalk early in February. Face-plant! I had a black eye, fat lip, scraped chin, bruised rib, hyperextended fingers, bruised palm, broken hand, bruised knee, and wrenched neck. Thanks to the way I bit my lip, I didn't knock my teeth out. Then there was was the embarrassment from falling in front of my colleagues. I foolishly hid the extent of my injuries, so I could continue with the business meeting, until my hand swelled up too much for me to avoid going to the doctor. I don't know about you, but I avoid the scene of my disaster now. I won't even go out the same door! I hope you feel better soon. <3

TwoCorgis on March 23, 2014 at 10:18 pm
    • Sorry for your enbarrassing fall & I hope you 'er feeling better.No one I know saw me ,but it was around 9 a .m. in a parking lot on a busy street.I'm sure someone had a good laugh,I have not been back to that unsalted driveway ,because I am laid up .Thanks for your well wishs!!

Angelways on March 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm
    • Ouch! That had to hurt. Please take it easy, those things take time to heal. Best wishes to you.<3

Sheri McNamara on March 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm
    • Yes' it did, I'm taking it as easy as one can.When I get up to go to the bathroom or kitchen I'm in a wheelchair.Thanks ,Ways

Angelways on March 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm
  8. Great options to vote for…the lucky winner will truly enjoy that fire pit!

memanbepa on March 22, 2014 at 12:58 pm
  9. One pinky by the lake and one MIA, did he go home with one of the workers? or is he playing in the BC?

WoooHooo! finally hit 40 in Northern Pa! The sun is finally showing itself, but the winds are so strong it is shaking the house. My husband keeps picking on me asking when we are moving to Florida…(soon I hope)
    All the best to everyone this weekend!:D

Sha on March 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm
  10. My favorite outdoor part is the curved patio

Mary Rock on March 22, 2014 at 2:39 pm
    • I wonder if there's going to be a curved driveway? I am curious about the front yard.

CucumberH0H on March 22, 2014 at 3:39 pm