Mar 20

People’s Choice Round Six: Vote for All Things Outdoors

It’s time for round six of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving outdoors. For the next two weeks, you’ll be picking a patio construction plan, fire pit design, backyard game, and more. You’ve got eight decisions to make. Choose wisely, and choose up to ten times a day.

Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments below!

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 5:19 pm on March 3, 2014

1,101 Comments

1. I was just on Laurie's blog page: http://blog.hgtvremodels.com/2014/03/21/2014-blog
    In one of her pictures it shows the front of the house. Picture was taken a couple weeks ago and it shows the front porch already in place. If that is so. What were they building today with those short trusses in the front yard?

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm
    • Not quite. The porch roof isn't yet in place in that picture, just the house roof over the porch is there. If you look at the siding pictures the porch roof is below that extended house roof. ;)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 10:24 pm
    • I will check that out again . It does show the house roof facing is in place.
      thanks

Jay Michajlluk on March 21, 2014 at 10:31 pm
  2. Solar lights along the patio and dock would be great too! After all it is the sunshine state! If they don't put them in, I will when it is mine!!! :D

TJ_RE on March 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm
  3. It is fun watching the workers on the very top roof getting the shingles up there. That is a great machine, a lot easier then hauling them up on a ladder.

vicki_in_Utah on March 22, 2014 at 8:53 am
  4. I wonder how the attic spaces will be ventilated? There are no ridge vents to be seen and no other vents. Top floor venting isn't needed as it's vaulted but what about the lower floor? Any ideas? :)

Clive on March 22, 2014 at 8:58 am
    • Clive the insulation they used does not require a vented roof.

KenD on March 22, 2014 at 9:09 am
    • Insulation isn't the issue. All attic spaces must be ventilated or your house integrity will suffer. It will smell bad and the roof will deteriorate rapidly. Not to mention the poor air quality inside the house as a result. Keeping the house insulated is a different thing from proper attic ventilation. In many cases, the lack of proper ventilation can void an asphalt shingle manufacturer's warranty if damage to the roof is a direct result of insufficient ventilation. The upper floor is OK a it's a vaulted ceiling with no attic but I don't see any passive ventilation of the lower floor roofs. :)

Clive on March 22, 2014 at 9:20 am
    • Sorry, I think you are correct there is a big box of ridge vent on the roof now. Maybe they will cut the roof when they put the shingles down.

KenD on March 22, 2014 at 9:44 am
    • I agree, all roofs need ventilation, to eliminate moisture condensation.

Builder on March 22, 2014 at 9:56 am
    • There are two ways to ventilate a roof, using conventional roof vents every few feet, or, cutting a slot in the peak, and putting on a "nail over" ventilated ridge vent. We have a vaulted ceiling, and it, too, has vents in the roof.

Builder on March 22, 2014 at 9:55 am
    • Good morlning every one. Glad to see the shingles. Could not make out any sign of color. I would expect a light gray (maybe). I do see the ridge vents on the roof. Would not think they would cut them in prior to having the shingles read to put down. With all the wind and storms that could pop up compromising the ridges prior to having the shingles would not be good. The ridge vents are usually ordered with the shingles and delivered at the same time. When they start installing the first row of shingles at the drip edge you will see the ridges being installed. This roof will go on very fast. If you blink you will miss them being put down.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 11:24 am
  5. Well, I hit on 50% of the popular items in this round of voting, and being a bit stubborn, I'll continue to vote for my non-favorite items. I won't campaign for my favorites (in some cases, just too far behind to recover) because, when I win (fat chance) anything I don't really care for can be changed. Just enjoying the process!

DGustaf on March 22, 2014 at 9:07 am
    • DGustaf, Good for you. I almost never change my votes unless one of the other bloggers convinces me other wise. I do not like to say winning vote. All choices and % of votes I think are noted by the team. Just because it is not chosen here it may be in the future on another Blog Cabin. One of the bigest blogged items this year has been the Double or single oven. Each has its place and mostly a personal preference. There are no wrong (except the back doors) choices. Keep up the good work and stick to your guns.
      Now just because I said guns this may get blocked.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 11:35 am
  6. I continue to vote every day 10x a day. Love this B/C every thing is just coming together beautifully. Thank you DiY. Looking forward to winning this Beautiful Home. Maria. NJ.

Maria Del Pilar on March 22, 2014 at 9:16 am
  7. Good Morning everybody! It looks like a roof is going in today! Yippee! I still haven't found the other flamingo, but that is alright because I saw a duck in the little water area and an ibis near the water. I love the birds at this cabin even the pink ones. I hope you all have a great day and enjoy the roofing of the cabin.

Jennifer Smith on March 22, 2014 at 9:18 am
  8. That second flamingo must be helping with something in the front yard…….or maybe giving them pointers about the roof! Looks like another beautiful day at our Blog Cabin! Thanks DIY!

stlmom1 on March 22, 2014 at 10:48 am
  9. Well, maybe I was wrong about the roof going on today, but the shingles are there, so maybe Monday. I can handle that. Have a nice day all and be safe.

Jennifer Smith on March 22, 2014 at 11:01 am
    • Hi Jennifer, I was looking forward to them roofing today too but this being a weekend, those hardworking guys need a weekend off to play :) BUT Weatherman says by Monday and Tuesday there is another "cold" front headed our way with 50 to 60% chance of rain including our Little Bungalow..Bummer!!!:( Maybe the Guys should have taken advantage of this beautiful day and could have finished by Monday, then take their well deserved rest days…Just a thought ^_^B) It's a beautiful day, enjoy!! :)

Jennie/Florida on March 22, 2014 at 11:52 am
    • Thank you Jennie for the weather report for the next few days. It's nice to know what is happening for the up and coming week. I wish I could be enjoying the weather down there even the rain. I'm in Vermont and we got more snow today and have more coming next week. I don't believe it is spring and I think we will be in winter forever too. So, I enjoy nice weather thru the cabin cam. Anyway, we'll get a roof soon and I'll keep my fingers crossed the the rain stays away. Have a great rest of your weekend.

Jennifer Smith on March 22, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • The chimney for the fireplace needs to be put up above the roof line (code height) for FA before shingles go on that side. It looks like it could happen to day they left the lift there.

Denise_D_ on March 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm
  10. I have not seen that second flamingo from the time he got his bath in the flower bed. Wonder if he is laying down and we can not see him for the flowers. I think he was the same one that was in the tree for so long.
    Hay Laurie! Is there a Flamingo call? If you can call ducks, geese, and turkeys why not flamingos.

Jay Michajluk on March 22, 2014 at 11:43 am