Mar 20

People’s Choice Round Six: Vote for All Things Outdoors

It’s time for round six of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving outdoors. For the next two weeks, you’ll be picking a patio construction plan, fire pit design, backyard game, and more. You’ve got eight decisions to make. Choose wisely, and choose up to ten times a day.

Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments below!

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 5:19 pm on March 3, 2014

1,101 Comments

1. Looks like a project being done under the tree in the back yard on one of the spools. Painting something gray, I could read the headline on the paper covering the spool, but could not make out what they were painting. Looked like a large bug on its back to me.
    Well I must get back to my windows. Only half done. Wanted to be done by 3.

Jay Michajluk on April 10, 2014 at 12:47 pm
  2. I checked out the magnolia blossoms. Beautiful!!! I am dreaming about being there and the smell of the trees and plants. I truly do love the little blog cabin.

Jennifer Smith on April 10, 2014 at 1:04 pm
  3. Every time I want to vote for the outdoor accessories it takes me to the bathroom accessories. Ideas?
    WATER: Ski boat and ski equipment, 2 Jet skis, Slide pipe and twisty, off the dock
    YARD: GAMES: lawn bowling (bacci ball), volleyball (badminton), Horseshoes,
    YARD ACCESERIES: Tree swings, glider swing (that can lay flat for napping:-),Gazebo (with screens and lighting for night time socializing), Sauna, Fire pit with chairs all around, of course a grill/pizza brick oven and kitchen
    YARD landscaping: Different flowers and plants for all year round color.

Kathleen Thompson on April 10, 2014 at 1:10 pm
  4. Hey everyone, Went to HGTVremodels like Lvt suggested. You want pics of inside and the front of our blog cabin check out this link: http://www.hgtvremodels.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin… . Enjoy!

Jennifer Smith on April 10, 2014 at 1:15 pm
    • Jennifer thank you so much I missed that suggestion and thanks for the link. OMGosh it is even more beautiful and exciting looking out the window to the REAL view! Love Love Love it!! <3 <3 You have made my day and I hope you have a wicked awesome good day. Thanks! :-)

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm
    • Those pictures are from LAST year.

Ralebird on April 10, 2014 at 1:32 pm
    • If you go through all the first photos of the BC 2013, it gives you a link to the BC 2014. Great photos, and oh so roomy. There are 56 photos of BC 2014.

Builder on April 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm
    • Maybe its me but they are photos of 2013 BC not 2014 here in Florida.

KMH on April 10, 2014 at 1:34 pm
    • Go to the HGTV Remodels web site and search "Blog Cabin 2014" and several articles, photo's, and extra's (Like the virtual tour) appear. There is a section which currently has 56 photo's of the 2014 BC which include a lot of interior photo's.

There are also three articles mixed in with the design articles from Lori which I found great. They are BC 2014:Building for a Lakeside Location in Florida, BC:2014 Architectural Problems and Solutions, and BC 2014: Living in a 1920's Bungalow, Then and Now. .

MAOW on April 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm
    • BUT! Someone named "Lvr" has posted that you can go to HGTV Remodels and search "blog cabin 2014" to see 56 pictures, inside and out, some only about a week or so old, it looks like!

Ralebird on April 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm
    • Hi All – On the web page of link Jennifer gave us (http://www.hgtvremodels.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2013-photo-diary-of-a-historic-home-renovation/pictures/index.html) go to the bottom and you'll see "See Also" Blog Cabin 2014: Photo Diary of a Historic Home Renovation. The first picture is of the old house but then the photos are of our 2014 Blog Cabin. Enjoy I did!! ;-)

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 3:00 pm
    • The photo's originally noticed on the HGTV Remodels Web Site are now available on this Web Site.

Go to the MAIN tab in this website. Under the heading of MUST SEE FEATURES, the 2nd "Bullet Point" is: 50+ Photos Remodeling Diary. Hope this helps.

MAOW on April 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    • Cool even easier! Now I can show my husband this weekend…he used to build houses and he wants to see how they do a "stick built" in Florida. Thanks MAOW!

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 3:29 pm
    • LRN,

Glad I could help.

You may still want to visit the HGTV Remodel website to show your husband the 3 articles I referenced above. I believe it is the article titled BC 2014: Architectural Problems and Solutions that talks about the construction needed in the original BC to keep it up versus the new structure used which allows the floor plan to be more open. Happy reading.

MAOW on April 10, 2014 at 3:39 pm
    • Thanks we've been thinking when we move back to the area (we're in Maine right now) we might look into building a "cracker style" home right down to the wrap around porch and tin roof. :-)

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 3:44 pm
    • A wrap around porch and tin roof sounds great. Perfect for a rainy day.

I had hoped that a wrap around deck would be added around the Widow's Walk but I don't think that will happen at this point. I also hoped that the style of the original BC Porch would be used at the new BC (Loved the brick columns) but the preliminary drawings do not look promising. We'll see.

MAOW on April 10, 2014 at 3:51 pm
    • Agreed!

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • I actually used to drive by the original BC when we lived there on the way to Bartow. Loved it then too it was actually high on a hill (well high by Florida standards) and the Town of Dundee is really a quaint small town. Lots of wonderful Old Florida History in the area. That's why we want to move back.

LRN on April 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm
    • Thanks to all for the information on the pictures posted of BC 2014. I went through the pictures twice looking for a kitchen view that would show the back door for loading in groceries but didn't see one. All the views out the window are wonderful. I want this house so bad. I can feel the sun on my face now….Ahhhhh

Joyce in NJ on April 10, 2014 at 4:42 pm
    • Thanks The 56 pictures are great. Thats a lot of drywall to put up and mud. A lot more room then I expected.

Jay Michajluk on April 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm
    • That's also a lot of drywall to remove. Every room that's finished has a big pile to be returned. Somebody was way off on the takeoffs!

Ralebird on April 11, 2014 at 3:48 am
    • Yesssss!! I am so glad everybody can see the photos on HGTV Remodels ( Blog Cabin 2014 )

Lvr on April 11, 2014 at 2:43 am
  5. FYI.

A new thread was just posted to discuss the BATH Creature Comforts voting options.

MAOW on April 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm
  6. What a gorgeous day all around! The picture of the road side of blog cabin is lovely but has me worried once more about the height of the chimney. It looks like, at the present height, any exhaust and fumes will filter in the upstairs windows, especially if a NNE wind is blowing. Now on a NE wind the weather is usually chilly and raw and probably when you would want the fireplace on

grammagail on April 10, 2014 at 11:35 pm
    • There is plenty more brick work to be done and extending the chimney is a small part, but I'm sure is necessary – sure doesn't look high enough for any code I've seen.

Ralebird on April 11, 2014 at 3:50 am
    • It looks like the top of the chimney is already finished. I was doubting the height of the chimney, too. Around here, the top of the chimney is supposed to be so many feet above the tallest roofline. This one isn't even close, barely as tall as the closest roofline. This is a wood burning fireplace, isn't it? A tall chimney makes for a better draft, too.

Builder on April 11, 2014 at 8:34 am
    • It was wood burning. Dylan likes to replace wood with propane artificial wood fires. The chimney was built with that in mind. It's a wooden frame with a brick shell and steel fluepipes inside.

AnniesOwn on April 11, 2014 at 11:08 am
    • I don't think they've told us if it will be a wood burning fireplace. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a sealed direct vent gas (L.P. in this area of Polk). It seldom gets cold enough to warrant a fireplace plus a chimney would be a maintenance headache for most folks especially because everthing and anything can get in them (birds, bats, bugs and yes even snakes). I would only want a seal direct vent gas fireplace after living in the area around Lake Hamilton and my first choice would be for it to be only decorative and not functional (electric would be great we had one in our home there – look great and yes it heats too).

LRN on April 11, 2014 at 9:18 am
    • I looks like they are working on the Chimeny this morning. I seem to recall that the exposed area did not show Brick yesterday but today we can see Brick (Which appears to be from the original BC).

MAOW on April 11, 2014 at 10:04 am
    • Unlikely. The upstairs windows facing the chimney don't open.

DannyF on April 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm
  7. Wondered what the construction guys were staring at toward the lake. I saw the 6 pink Flamingos (Thank You Laurie! :) ) and something way down. There were the Mom and Dad Florida Sandhill Cranes and their baby!! What a treat to start the morning. As they have nested and have a chick that means they there home is the lakeside of our BC! Now the caution tape makes real sense. The Florida Sandhill Crane is listed by Florida as State status "Threatened" (due to loss of habitat). So glad they've made a home by the lake that is awesome! Whoever wins the BC (hope it is me….but then we all do;)) is really going to love bird watching for sure!!

LRN on April 11, 2014 at 7:40 am
    • I just hope the construction of the dock doesn't scare them away and prevent them from coming back. I too love watching them. Could spend hours at it and get nothing done.

Joyce in NJ on April 11, 2014 at 10:26 am
    • Girl after my own heart I totally agree! :-)

LRN on April 11, 2014 at 11:23 am
  8. Those flamingo friends come from all up and down the coast line. I've seen them show up at Christmas time wearing Santa's hat and even in the front yard endorsing elective officials or fallen over on the lawn with a collection of cans from the previous night of celebration, A friend from high school plays with them as far away as Michigan. I think they make her feel all warm and cozy. But most of all, the dear pink friends would be comfortable and in awe with any of the outdoor choices, just as I would be. "Go pink or don't come home!"

Jojo on April 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm