Mar 20

People’s Choice Round Six: Vote for All Things Outdoors

It’s time for round six of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving outdoors. For the next two weeks, you’ll be picking a patio construction plan, fire pit design, backyard game, and more. You’ve got eight decisions to make. Choose wisely, and choose up to ten times a day.

Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments below!

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 5:19 pm on March 3, 2014

1,101 Comments

1. Well, the "drilling rig" is gone. Must have been a truck with a boom crane. There are people working, but it seems very quiet right now. Do you think we could having siding early next week? Heck, I think siding late next week would be good too. :D

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm
  2. I just noticed that there is a new electric box on the far corner under the kitchen There is a GFI just to the right of it and itself has a red light on top of the box.?????????

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm
    • That went in late yesterday evening.

I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with the septic system they have installed. I have a sneaky suspicion, based on the pipework we can see, that control box and the 'breather' pipe (blue capped-off pipe in the same area as the septic tank) that they are installing a powered aerobic septic system. The electrical box with the red light on top looks remarkably like an aerobic septic system control box. :) It would make sense here too. http://www.septicsolutions.net/store/Images/SPIPa

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • Kind of strange that these are mounted to the block foundation while we are expecting brick facing to be applied. What does the aerobic system accomplish?

Ralebird on March 21, 2014 at 2:04 pm
    • Ralebird,
      Aerobic systems require a substantially smaller leaching field than similar conventional septic systems so there's a significant reduction the space required.
      They are useful in lots where a large drainage field is unacceptable. (Maybe neighbors complained or there are local rules governing leeching field size within 300yds of lakeshore?)
      Aerobic systems produce cleaner effluent (the wastewater that is returned to nature after processing). This is useful in environmentally delicate locations, areas with high water tables and similar sensitive areas such as this location.
      Aerobic bacteria typically break down household waste faster than anaerobic bacteria in traditional leeching fields.
      There is less smell associated with aerobic systems.

Hope that helps. :)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 2:21 pm
    • Thanks, do you think they'll have to pull it off when they brick the foundation?

Ralebird on March 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • I've no idea, however, I notice they've fixed all the electrical connections (here and outside the sunroom on the E. end of the house) directly to the block. Maybe that's necessary for code. It will be interesting to see how they work around these and the fixed pipes when they 'face' the block. :)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 4:00 pm
    • Do you think that are going to cover the blocks with a quarter thickness (1" thick not 4") of brick? With the boxes already mounted a full brick with cover them up.

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm
    • Definitely maybe. ;) ^_^

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm
  3. Has anybody else noticed that the chaise lounges can be rolled to any part of the dock or yard, whereas the Adirondack chairs do not have wheels? …and those chairs — while comfy, retro-attractive, and I love them — are heavy, awkward to carry and not easily moved. Like I wrote, I love Adirondack chairs BUT my vote is for the chaises. It appears I'm losing this vote but I will continue hoping to convert some of you.

AuntSal13 on March 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • I'm with you – it's tough to lay in the sun on an Adirondack chair!

Ralebird on March 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm
    • I'm with you 2. If you have a bad back or if you are an older person it can be tuff or impossible to sit in an Adirondack chair.

Cindy on March 21, 2014 at 8:40 pm
    • Hi bloggers, I just have to add that sitting in Adirondack chairs is tough, however, getting up out of the Adirondack chairs is nearly impossible.:D Maybe getting some sort of old loud bell(like a cow bell?) might be a good idea. LOL I am with ya'll.;)

Sheri McNamara on March 29, 2014 at 3:19 pm
    • I am also voting on the chaise lounges. I have a lot of metal in my back and when I try to sit in the Adirondack chairs, it is very hard. I don't bend anymore so it makes it a little difficult. I guess if they had some really nice and thick cushions on them they might not be too bad.

I have seen a lot of talk about bugs, mosquitoes and other critters. Are these problems down in the area? Are there alligators around the area? I think a screened in area would be really nice whether on the dock or some where else. I think it will all work out. I think that the crew has probably done their research and will make sure that everything that we think of has already been thought of and being taken care of.

CheleRS3 on March 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm
    • Chaises always seem to lose the vote.

CucumberH0H on March 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm
    • I also vote for the chaises chairs. I don't know why, but I think they look more Floridian. :)

Aliecat on March 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm
  4. Why was my reply to Clive deleted? It was not a bad thing only more information on the septic system– maybe I should moan & cry about my personal problems or when the trucks block their view – like the other women do? most of us do not find it entertaining. go on delete this one too I will not be back.

mary miller on March 21, 2014 at 4:17 pm
    • Don't get upset. No one is deleting your posts. Blog 'admin' is just a rather poorly designed computer program that is set to catch unpleasant words and phrases to prevent profanity on the blog, Unfortunately, it's set to look for phrases and words that conform to certain patterns so even simple, innocuous words like sh-oes and phar-macy can't be written without the dashes or it gets blocked. We've learned to live with it but, rest assured, it's nothing being done by a person, just an inanimate computer program. Do stay with us. :)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 4:30 pm
    • Wow, this blog has a lot of problems, as does the internet. Stuff happens. Like Clive said stuff is blocked when you do nothing wrong. I was blocked because I wrote the word Sh-ot once. It just happens. But, I have to add that at first I felt hurt that you said some un-nice things about a few of us. That is something I would block if I ran the blog because it was unfair. Now, let's get over this, rewrite your reply in different wording, and let's all be friends because I think we all want that. Smile, Mary, it's Friday.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 4:41 pm
    • Mary,

You may also wish to avoid saying, "It is easy to buy a Bocce Set at "Richard's" Sporting Goods". That will definitely activate the "Unpleasant Word Program".

I am speaking from personal experience here.

MAOW on March 21, 2014 at 5:04 pm
    • Mary please do not feel bad, I have had a number of posts deleted. Still do not know why. I have had to rewrite posts several different time to get them posted. Keep trying not crying.

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 7:27 pm
    • I've typed comments and my comments were lengthy. I was told to resubmit after reducing them. The other thing I KNOW I've inadvertently did: duh….hit CANCEL which is next to the Submit Comment. Things happen.

Trish on March 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm
  5. Hello all, I just noticed that our flamingo friends have moved again. I noticed one down by the lake, but I have yet to find the other one. I'm sure I'll find it eventually, but if you see it give a shout.xD

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm
    • A man in a tan shirt took that Flamingo around 3 PM

Straybird on March 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm
    • Not finding the second flamingo. Think they are testing us!

grammagail on March 21, 2014 at 6:33 pm
  6. While I was on the camera looking for the other flamingo, I saw a guy walking around the property taking pictures. Maybe we will get new pictures to see soon. That would be cool.B)

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 4:43 pm
  7. So good to be back! [-=) My computer was on a blitz. ]-=) Love all the choices to vote on! Bocce ball is a family favorite, veggies and herbs fun to grow and eat and love the in- ground fire pit because we enjoy cooking lots of hotdogs and marshmallows for the yummy S'mores …. nice to have a little space between the cooks!!!! :p

donna white on March 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm
  8. So much progress! Enjoying hearing what you're all voting on :)

Laurie

Laurie_March on March 21, 2014 at 5:58 pm
    • Thanks Laurie! My hubby has to deal with the garden because I have a black thumb. Thank goodness for him or I would have a barren yard.

Jennifer Smith on March 22, 2014 at 11:00 am
    • What do you think Laurie, How about an old fashioned bell with the Adirondack chairs on the dock for us old folks, or anyone having difficulty getting out of those chairs(old cow bell, or even an old teachers bell from the one room schoolhouses…Seems logical and inexpensive.)<3:D

Sheri McNamara on March 29, 2014 at 3:25 pm
  9. You are so right Laurie so very much is going on it is hard to keep up with but so much fun all of this. A few of my votes have changed – question on drives both are excellent don't know which one and I went from Jenja to Bocee-more fun outside and the savaged furance went to flowers I don"t need my J.J. drinking water.from there which he drinks from anywhere plus tries to put his 100 lb body In there to cool it of. and being in Fla. yes he will Hope he has fun. This blog cabin is getting knowlege and now it will really begin to get to so much fun finishing up and virtual tour coming up not long. I too have been refuse to be printed. could not figure out what I did. Next time Typed sooo slowly.watched what I typed refused again. As time went by relized not me Still get refused once while,but one thing for sure love that home and enjoy you guysxDxD

bogartandbacall on March 21, 2014 at 9:13 pm
  10. I hope that everyone has a great weekend. I hope the guys working so hard can maybe get a nice day off.

CheleRS3 on March 21, 2014 at 9:36 pm