Mar 20

People’s Choice Round Six: Vote for All Things Outdoors

It’s time for round six of our People’s Choice vote, and we’re moving outdoors. For the next two weeks, you’ll be picking a patio construction plan, fire pit design, backyard game, and more. You’ve got eight decisions to make. Choose wisely, and choose up to ten times a day.

Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments below!

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 5:19 pm on March 3, 2014

1,101 Comments

1. I love the idea of lounging on the chairs by the water! I was raised on a lake and would love to have a home on one again, it brings back some great memories for me! This really IS my dream home!

Daffie on March 21, 2014 at 6:25 am
  2. I am enjoying all the comments and opinions about the choices — I would love to see more. A link to this blog post directly from the paragraph at the top of the voting page would really help to make people aware of this page.

Susan on March 21, 2014 at 7:25 am
  3. Maybe part of the patio could have a retractable awning to give a little shade during the heat of the day. I like the idea of using the "widow walk" railing on the dock. Could it also work at the top of the stairs inside instead of a solid or half wall?. Then the sunlight shining in the upstairs windows would not be blocked and could filter down the stairwell to the foyer. Thank you for exciting me more as the cabin and it's surrounding come together.

Kat1551 on March 21, 2014 at 7:53 am
    • Have you noticed the neighbors porches?

CucumberH0H on March 22, 2014 at 3:06 pm
    • I agree every patio should have a retractable awning.

Wendy on March 22, 2014 at 6:13 pm
  4. Good morning fellow bloggers! I just took a peek at our cabin and it looks awesome this morning. I noticed a truck unloading something out front, but I couldn't read the side even when I zoomed in, but then again, I have incredibly bad eye sight. I am so excited to see what happens today and what was in the truck. Have a wonderful day and may all of you have a nice day instead of the snow here in VT.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 8:53 am
  5. Good spring morning to you all. we are pretty much dug out from our 13 1/2 inches of snow we got Wednesday night. Went to bed at 11pm with about an inch a a half and woke up at 6:50am with the total in place. Making Winter Haven look kinda nice right now! It was exactly one week from another big one and they have close eyes on a storm for next Wednesday. Weekly infusions of these amounts of snow is not my idea of spring! Love the new choices since the idea of a chaise lounge in the sun seems irresistible right now.

grammagail on March 21, 2014 at 9:05 am
    • I know how you feel. My husband and I are ready to head south, the snow is killing me. I'll invite you down when I win, so you can have some warmth too.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 10:17 am
    • Thanks Jennifer, but I think it will be me inviting you! LOL Good Luck to us all.

grammagail on March 21, 2014 at 6:36 pm
  6. Did anyone else catch a glimpse of the worker carrying the small (about 8-10ft span) roof truss around the far end of the kitchen just now? It could have been going to the front porch but there may be some other construction to the far side or front going on out of our sight. :D ^_^;)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 9:26 am
    • No but if they are putting on the FRONT PORCH today I hope it looks identical to the original home. I am hoping they recreate the brick columns.

I thought the FRONT PORCH was a key exterior design feature of the original home.

If there is enough space for a chair or two, all the better.

MAOW on March 21, 2014 at 9:45 am
    • Loved the brick columns too.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 10:19 am
    • It won't look like old Florida if they don't recreate the porch exactly as it was before they moved it.

collibri1120 on March 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm
  7. You can see them building the front porch roof

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 9:39 am
  8. Now that the discussion is focused on "All Things Outdoors" what type of COVERED OUTDOOR SEATING AREA's do you hope to see in the 2014 BC?

The 2013 BC had several COVERED OUTDOOR SEATING AREA's. Given the water views and need for relief from the Florida Sun the 2014 BC will need COVERED OUTDOOR SEATING AREA's but we have yet to see any.

MAOW on March 21, 2014 at 9:54 am
    • I hope the dock has a roof over the sitting area or screened in would be better. I would like to see a screen gazebo somewhere on property as well. Whatever there is I hope at least one place has a rocking chair.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 10:21 am
  9. Has anyone noticed that the electricians are gone? Also, the "well drilling" truck is back? And, the stack of siding in the back is gone. They also cleaned the insulation mess up, but left a few bits around. Things are definitely progressing at our cabin.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 11:16 am
    • Electricians just moved their trailer. I's now at the front of the house partly obscured by the small Magnolia tree. ;)

Clive on March 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm
  10. Not sure if that is another well drilling rig. It looks more like a crane to lift or unload something. The boom is at an angle and not 90 degrees to the ground. Anyway they are up to something.
    Did you see someone was watering the flowers in the raised beds. Gave the Flalmingo a bath.

Jay Michajluk on March 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm
    • When I saw the drilling rig it was at a 90 degree angle, but since it is pictures we see, it could have been about to move when I saw it. Didn't see the watering, glad the pink birdie got a shower, every flamingo should have one once in a while.

Jennifer Smith on March 21, 2014 at 12:46 pm
    • Don't think the flamingo liked her bath. She left.

grammagail on March 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm