Mar 11

Blog Cabin Buzz: Cabin Cam Update + Google Hangout

Apologies for the inconvenience, but occasionally the cabin cam will go offline. The connectivity on site can be unpredictable at times and we are still trying our best to fix it. I’ll keep you posted on the progress!

In the meantime, check out a brief update from Laurie and Dylan on YouTube >>

dylan and laurie

• Posted at 10:38 am on March 3, 2014

1. Test post…we'll see if it appears???

MaineBlkBear on March 12, 2014 at 8:51 am
    • well what do you know? It showed up finally after I don't know how many attempts, lol.

MaineBlkBear on March 12, 2014 at 8:52 am
  2. What is that tool that someone left on the roof? Never saw a roofing gun that was so pretty! Weather looks lovely at our cabin this morning, maybe a roof to go with our new HVAC?

stlmom1 on March 12, 2014 at 8:58 am
    • Boy the weather sure did change in a hurry. Welcome to Sunny, opps Rainy, Florida.

Doesn't look like they got the ROOFING GUN off the roof before the rain. As a matter of fact, the cardboard box didn't get off of the roof either (Main roof, left of the WIDOW's WALK)

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 9:56 am
    • That is a pneumatic nailer. Some are used for regular nails, others are used for roofing nails. There are many different sizes, from framing, to finish, to roofing.

Snowbird2014 on March 12, 2014 at 10:44 am
    • Snowbird2014,

Thanks for the insight.

Any idea what the cardboard BOX and WHITE STRIP of material on the other side of the roof are (Main roof, left of the WIDOW's WALK)?

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 11:19 am
    • Probably just an extra piece of flashing of some sort, or valley tin. Looks just like a cardboard nail box.

Snowbird2014 on March 12, 2014 at 11:29 am
  3. City electric and the installer ther now

Denise_D_ on March 12, 2014 at 9:17 am
  4. thank you for the video. Awesome idea for the garden. We have had gardens for years and there is nothing better than picking you own veggies from your garden.

lfinicle on March 12, 2014 at 9:38 am
    • I so agree! I grow all sorts of veggies at my house and I'm so happy to give the winner of Blog Cabin 2014 the same pleasure – sun-warmed veggies, plucked from your own garden!

Laurie

Laurie_March on March 12, 2014 at 12:50 pm
    • You are right Laurie. A couple years ago I potted six various types of tomatoes and oh my goodness they were good. Once you eat the fresh grown tomatoes (or anything else) even the grocery store produce lacks flavor. Gardening is so much fun that any extras I give to family and friends.<3 It's therapeutic!!<3

Sheri McNamara on March 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm
  5. Pink bird in the dirt pile and one in the tree this morning, I want to go play with the one in the dirt!
    This is such a beautiful place, and to watch it come all together on camera as it is happening is just phenomenal! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Sha on March 12, 2014 at 9:48 am
    • I wanted to call it a pink chicken this morning for some reason – LOL

Jennifer Smith on March 12, 2014 at 10:34 am
  6. Looks like the KUBOTA Tractor has joined the party (Left of the little RED SHED but right of the DIRT PILE). Probably making room for a workshop or material storage in the METAL SHED on sight.

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 10:10 am
    • That's quite a dirt pile!

Trish on March 12, 2014 at 12:13 pm
    • Yes it is.

I can already imagine next weeks PEOPLES CHOICE vote for the OUTDOORS.

LARGE PILE OF DIRT:
      a) Miniature Golf Course Mountain
      b) Motor Cross Course Jump (Talk about UPCYCLING!)

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm
    • Zip line start. xD

Clive on March 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm
    • Fun.

How about a Putting Green with a few Sand Bunkers? Florida is known for its Golf Courses.

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm
    • Too much competition from the Lake Region Yacht & Country Club with its David Wallace designed 18-hole, 6,562yd golf course which is about 3 miles down the road.

I don't see any zip line adventure tours nearby. ;)

Clive on March 12, 2014 at 1:40 pm
    • lol

Trish on March 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm
    • Love it, but we could be voting on a pile for a dog to dig or a large sandbox for a cat – LOL. My 25 lb. feline would love the large sandbox.;)

Jennifer Smith on March 12, 2014 at 4:25 pm
    • Oh, no…. right outside my office!

webwoman on March 12, 2014 at 6:19 pm
  7. To the right of the BC (When viewing from the lake) a big mobile rig has recently set up.

I used to work on a mobile rig in NE Ohio in the mid-80's which looked very similar. We cleaned out existing natural gas wells. If I had to guess this rig may be cleaning out the water well.

Anyone else have a guess as to the purpose of this rig?

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 10:46 am
    • Cleaning, repairing or replacing one of the two boreholes on site would be my guess.

I'm wondering whether that old rusty pipe that was in front of the Sunroom was one of the well heads and was not in a very good place. They may have capped it (they did dig down all around it a week or so back) and are putting in another well closer to the kitchen area to the front of the house. :)

Clive on March 12, 2014 at 11:01 am
    • Clive,

Thanks for the input. I remember seeing that old rusty pipe but I have no idea what it was for. Maybe another good question for Dylan?

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 11:16 am
    • This set up is use for also drilling for wells, mining core samples and setting poles. It was holding a pillion or pipe. So we won't know for sure. I think it's a city truck.

Denise_D_ on March 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm
    • I look on web site which said natural gas deposits were in the NE part of the state (likely panhandle) and southern, didn't indicate central at all.

Denise_D_ on March 12, 2014 at 1:02 pm
    • Natural gas does not have to come from local gas wells. It usually comes from many, many miles away, from a main natural gas line. All cities have natural gas for industry, and most homes. If a person is close to a natural gas line, they can usually get the gas from it. The natural gas line by our home is right down the side of the road, and 28 inches deep. I know the exact depth, because a cable company had to bore under our driveway last fall, and the locator company told them they had to bore more than 28 inches deep under the driveway. I have no idea where the large Natural Gas line is located.

Snowbird2014 on March 12, 2014 at 2:22 pm
    • This machine goes down not side ways. We have pipe lines on some of our lands witch come from both ND and Canada. They used excavater and bulldozers. I think this is for water well. We had wells drill before. Also when our city replaced gas lines they were also dug with the same machine that they used to lay the electrical lines. It depends on the frost line for depth.

Denise_D_ on March 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm
    • Denise, Go back and read what I was talking about. We are talking about two different things. Your comment that I was replying to, concerned natural gas, and here you start talking about that vertical well drilling rig. I know a well rig from other construction equipment, and I know how gas lines and water lines are installed, so please read the comments more carefully, before replying. You are getting a lot of people totally confused with your blogs.

Snowbird2014 on March 12, 2014 at 5:39 pm
    • I think you also need to read that this is a machine that had a pipe or pillion going straight down. That it could be a water well. I gave different uses that this type of set up. You brought up natural gas. That is why I reply about what I have seen and experience on our land. I also gave information on natural gas formation in the State. Sorry

Denise_D_ on March 12, 2014 at 8:48 pm
  8. It looks like a well drilling rig is in the yard. It could also be a well cleaning rig, since I have seen both of these at my parents home, but can't remember which it is, I thought I would mention it as either or. But, I could be wrong. I would think the cabin would be on city/town water. Any ideas?

Jennifer Smith on March 12, 2014 at 10:47 am
    • Maybe relining the wells. There are two wells, shallow and deep, on the plot and one seems to be in use (the little red hut). Maybe the other needs cleaning or they decided to bore another in a different, more convenient location and will cap the other. Hopefully, if we get a Q&A session with Dylan next month (as we've had in previous BC's) we'll be able to ask all these questions. :)

Clive on March 12, 2014 at 10:57 am
    • It does rather looks like a well drilling rig to me. Perhaps if the deep well (for portable water) has been used in a long time they are redrilling or cleaning like Clive is saying. Regarding public water, I do not believe there is any public water or sewer in that immedidate area. Developers would run public water/sewer to new developments. But it appears along Lake Hamiliton the homes have been there plus the lots are very large wouldn't be cost effective to run public utilities to just a few homes.

LRN on March 12, 2014 at 11:04 am
    • Clive,

It is good hear that there is typically a Q&A with Dylan. It's great that he has done a Q&A for previous BC's. :)

MAOW on March 12, 2014 at 11:11 am
    • I agree. He's been very informative in those sessions. :)

Clive on March 12, 2014 at 11:30 am
    • Definitely a drilling rig. Probably will discontinue the old well. An old well cannot just be capped, it has to be totally filled with grout from bottom to top, to prevent a source of contaminants from getting into the ground water in the future. Makes good sense to drill a new well, if this one has not been used for a long, long time. I wonder how deep the water is in this area. Well drilling is one of the more expensive projects in building a new home. This site does not have city sewer or water.

Snowbird2014 on March 12, 2014 at 11:12 am
    • Tell me about it. Our well is 575'. It is the best well we ever had though.

Jay Michajluk on March 12, 2014 at 8:50 pm
    • Thanks for all the info. everyone. Glad to know we will have our own clean, clear water at the cabin.

Jennifer Smith on March 12, 2014 at 11:42 am
  9. Thanks DeerSpring the video gives us a lot to think about & with the replies to your post it brings up some good questions.

Lettucefields on March 12, 2014 at 11:04 am
  10. Could someone tell me what that big truck is with the tall part that goes so high, next to the garden? What is it for, what does it do?

webwoman on March 12, 2014 at 11:53 am
    • Correction…. sorry, I just now caught the above informaton from you great bloggers. Im grateful.

webwoman on March 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm
    • There are several blogs about this truck. The ones by Jennifer Smith and MAOW from an hour ago will tell you everything.

Sally on March 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm