Mar 4

I Spy Pink Flamingos at Blog Cabin 2014

Pink flamingos

Our friendly and fearless online host, Laurie March, is at Blog Cabin this week working on a few projects with the team. In her spare time, she’s conjured up a fun cabin cam exclusive activity for you, which involves sneaky pink flamingos.

Every day this week she’ll be placing these playful yard ornaments in different spots around the construction site. Check the cabin cam and let us know when and where you spot a flamingo!

Click over to the House Counselor for a brief history lesson on the plastic pink bird and a behind-the-scenes update from Laurie.

• Posted at 5:40 pm on March 3, 2014

1. I think we need a Hard Hat for the Flamingo in the construction zone. Safety 1st. :$

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm
    • I love that idea. I'm sure there is a DIYer out there that could craft tiny hard hats for them. LOL ;-)

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm
    • We should also make Tool Belts for the Flamingos. :D

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm
    • Love it. then we need to add teeny-tiny tools.
      We will probably need to be careful if the Flamingos had tools, they may enlarge the doggie door to be proper Flamingo height.

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm
  2. I'm enjoying the search for the flamingos. I remember during the build of the Kentucky cabin that we had 2 goats to talk about. Nelda and Zelda had many exploits and got into a lot of trouble.
    You could put a bandana on the boy flamingo just to tell them apart.

NancyBee on March 5, 2014 at 1:30 pm
  3. I see one in the garden box and one by a dirt pile on the other side of the house, awesome little birds!

The house is coming together so quickly! Looking wonderful! <3

Sha on March 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm
  4. Looks like all took a lunch break. Hmm…..wonder if DIY, Dylan and Company have discovered Lang's Taste of Florida Cafe and Ms. Lang's Grapefruit Pie!! Yummo miss things that like. Check them out if you haven't already Dylan! :D http://www.langsuncountry.com/shop/taste-of-flori

LRN on March 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm
  5. If there are 10 flamingos why are there only about 2 or 3 being put out for us to fine. Or maybe they took the blog top picture at the place the purchased them.

Denise_D_ on March 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm
    • Good point. Flamingos are very social animals and from what I have read tend to struggle in captivity unless they are in groups of 15 to 20. 10 is a good start.

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm
    • Denise,

On the You Tube video just released Laurie commented that they have 2 Flamingos on site that are being moved to different locations. So unless they mate while on site we are only going to see 2 Flamingos.

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm
  6. Looks like the remaining trusses for the family/media room roof are going into place to join the lone one we can see above the office/craft room.

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm
    • Are they for the new front entry way? Hope they're extending it further then the drawing showed for those Florida summer downpours if they are!!

LRN on March 5, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • They're for the family/media room roof above and around the fireplace. There will be a couple of trusses over the new front porch area but these are for the family room roof. Looking at those small images of the siding renderings (yellow shows it best) you can see how the family room and sunroom/office roofs are pitched at 90 degrees to each other and these new trusses match the Family room roof in position and orientation. :)

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm
    • Ah! I was looking at the wrong rendering! Thanks!!

LRN on March 5, 2014 at 3:49 pm
    • Clive, I'm still seeing it as a change from the original plan. I've probably not been explaining my thoughts very well. If you compare photo #1 (the original old cabin photos) you can see the former right elevation of the old house (what is now street side in it's new location). Notice that the original roof peak was centered directly under the top story of the old house. In the present construction the peak has moved far to the right of center. It looks to me that the new house will be much wider, at least on the family room side. Also if you zoom in tight you will see that they are now building up that original "odd" peak that was previously the only one standing.

SID on March 5, 2014 at 4:05 pm
    • One thing I think you are missing is that what the camera sees of the East wall is not the complete wall. There is another wall that is indented from that far corner you see. I would say that there is much more house in the front then you can not see. The wall we see on the East end is the sun room (where the windows are) and the office only. The East FM wall you can not see.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm
    • Agreed Jay. The E wall of the family room is not visible and extends towards the road about 10 – 12 ft. more than the eastern end of the sunroom and the side of the office/craft room (the original front porch). There's an indent along the road-facing end of the office/craft room to the E. side of the new Family room. The outside of the new Family room which would have been the outside front wall with the cat shapes on it then goes about 10 – 12 ft. more towards the road. The roof of that part of the Family room that spans from where the office wall ends to the road-facing side of the house is pitched at 90 degrees to the sunroom/office roof.

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm
    • Clive & Jay, Had to be out for a few hours and just got home. They've made enough progress so that I finally understand how it works!:$

SID on March 5, 2014 at 7:21 pm
    • Clive: Did you see that they did use T&G boards on the overhangs?

Jay Michajlluk on March 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm
    • I know we are not going to get a second Cabin Cam to cover the front, but I would really like to see periodic still photos of that side so we can better make sense out of what we see from the back.

RLDorf on March 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm
  7. I caught a few minutes of the science channel yesterday when I turned on the television. They have a show about shredding machines. They threw in a couple dozen pink flamingo statues. What a waste!

KCDigger on March 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm
    • We watched a little of the shredding show. They destroyed some great stuff that could have been sold or given to charity. I will not be watching that show.

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm
  8. Hi Bloggers! Here is the link to this morning's activity with Laurie and Dylan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5b4FNj3oJA&f… :p

jchristie24 on March 5, 2014 at 4:11 pm
    • Thank you for the link and please add more if they add any. Just seeing video from the area is helping me with my case homesickness! Miss Polk County and the awesome people and places I love there! :D

LRN on March 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm
    • Nice Video, Thank you. Maria

Maria on March 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm
    • Thank you for the video. I was so happy to hear that there will be raised bed gardens. With every home, I am always trying to figure out where I'd put my garden. How wonderful that they are doing the work for us.

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm
    • Thanks, that was an awesome video. Also, thanks for letting us know there are only 2 flamingos.

Jennifer Smith on March 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm
    • JS-

For now…

Laurie :)

Laurie_March on March 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm
    • I loved raised gardens. So up my alley! :p

lillian_gish on March 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm
  9. My goodness, this house is growing by leaps and bounds. Aren't those pretty, pink flamingos cute as can be. I cannot wait to see this home and property as a whole. It is so awesome. Listening to Dylan and Laurie on youtube is great. It kind of pulls the plans together. Keep up the great work you guys. I can't wait to win and move into my 2014 Blog Cabin. Good day friends and watch out for those pink flamingos, they are quick on their feet.<3

Sheri McNamara on March 5, 2014 at 4:50 pm
  10. Flamingos eat algae and crustaceans that contain pigments called carotenoids. For the most part, these pigments are found in the brine shrimp and blue-green algae that the birds eat. Just to support what was said earlier.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm