Mar 4

I Spy Pink Flamingos at Blog Cabin 2014

Pink flamingos

Our friendly and fearless online host, Laurie March, is at Blog Cabin this week working on a few projects with the team. In her spare time, she’s conjured up a fun cabin cam exclusive activity for you, which involves sneaky pink flamingos.

Every day this week she’ll be placing these playful yard ornaments in different spots around the construction site. Check the cabin cam and let us know when and where you spot a flamingo!

Click over to the House Counselor for a brief history lesson on the plastic pink bird and a behind-the-scenes update from Laurie.

• Posted at 5:40 pm on March 3, 2014

1. Laurie was just out by the square foot gardens being filmed.

grammagail on March 5, 2014 at 11:02 am
    • They were filming it last night also, must want some now that all the plants are in

Denise_D_ on March 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm
  2. Just a passing thought – lets not place any Flamingos in direct line of the camera and the house across the way. You can not zoom in on it directly.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 11:04 am
  3. Laurie just moved the flamingo from the planter box area to the woodpile on the east side of the house. And now the tent goes up, I wonder what projects they are going to be working on under the tent!

Slps60 on March 5, 2014 at 11:12 am
    • Slps60,

The last time they placed a canopy up it was also in this general location. At that time they filmed the segment with Chris and Jason that is posted on the Blog. Hopefully, another update is in our future. :p

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 11:23 am
    • MAOW, You are probably right, there are two chairs there as well, so yes maybe they are giving us another update instead of working on a project, and that probably explains the cord on the ground either one's going to be exciting!

Slps60 on March 5, 2014 at 11:25 am
    • Just was watching as a man and a woman were sitting there with a laptop in from of them on a block. They seemed pretty intent in what they were saying to each other. It was just in front of the new flower beds. I wonder if they (the flowers not the people) were put there to grow some before being transplanted to some other place around the house.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm
    • Jay, that was Dylan and. Laurie and it looked like they were Skyping like Grundy and Jason did last week. So we need to be on the lookout for another You Tube video! :p

jchristie24 on March 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm
    • So that is Dylan and Laurie, thanks.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm
  4. I spy a pink flamingo on the side of the house, as if they were playing hide and seek from each other:)

mjaynestra on March 5, 2014 at 11:38 am
  5. which room is the media room?

george on March 5, 2014 at 11:40 am
    • George, I believe it's going to be in the family room, that was the only place that I figure they would put it.

Slps60 on March 5, 2014 at 11:42 am
    • I think so also. The lack of windows in some areas of the FM make it ideal. From the voting looks like the seating will be L shaped so we need to consider that then thinking its location. No one has said if this was to be a TV or a Screen. You can light up a nice size screen (8' to 10') in only 14' A Panasonic AT 7000 Projector (HD, Blu-Ray and active 3D) does a great job. Will work well with the speaker system we are voting on. Sadly to say because they offered a sound bar system as part of the voting I think a large TV is the way they are heading. :( I had this system installed in my home theater and it is just unbelievable. Just watched "Gravity and Thor the Dark World in 3D. You are right there on top of everything with that size of screen and the sound just engulfs you.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm
    • "Family Room" and "Media Room" have been used interchangeably in past projects, probably the same here.

RLDorf on March 5, 2014 at 1:24 pm
  6. And now the woodpile flamingo is hiding from us.

Slps60 on March 5, 2014 at 11:48 am
  7. I see that they are starting to install some T&G lumber along the edge of the East rafters. Hay guys you got a litte wave there. Boards must have water in them. Watch out for those flamingos.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm
  8. Looks like a flamingo just interupted the video segment. Now those two people are lookin at the flowers.
    Earlier this morining I was able to get a good look at that rafter that looks like it is in the front yeard. It is not.
    With the sun at the right angle you can see that if the second floor was not up yet the top of that rafter would go right down the middle of the house. It looks add with the second floor is up. Another thing. I have been using the pictures of the color choices in the first round of voting to verify the build of some areas. Went back to take a closer look at the build in the rafter ares over the East roof and that part of the voting would not load. All the rest load but not the first one. That makes me wonder. But anyway I think that from that rafter they my extend that part of the roof over the East side rafters to create a 10' or 12' over hang like the old house. That rafter does end where the East side rafters end towards the front of the house. Just above the new office area. (craft room)

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm
    • Looks odd not add

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm
    • Jay I've also been wondering about that odd roof rafter which seems to run at a right angle to the front of the house. It just doesn't seem to be at the right angle to be the front foyer roof. Do you see the load of what look like rafters that is sitting on the trailer just behind the family media room? Are those roof trusses? What's up?o.0

SID on March 5, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • The trusses are now stacked on the ground to the right of the sunroom. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what direction they are placed to see if they are just part of the family room roof or a surprise.;)

SID on March 5, 2014 at 2:02 pm
    • I now see what you're saying. The truss we see protruding over the top of the office/craft room is part of the roof of the Family room/media room with the fireplace. There should be more like it to the left of the one we see but, maybe, they need to do other things and possibly rebuild the chimney before putting the other trusses in place for the remainder of the Family room roof. I'm wondering whether in that attic space they will have a heat pump.

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 1:45 pm
    • There were no mech. rooms shown in the first floor drawing or the second floor drawing. Could be room above LR/FM rafters or above the Kitchen end of the house.

Jay Michajluk on March 5, 2014 at 5:15 pm
  9. I've seen a flamingo under the pine tree, by the lake and by the stack of wood. I can't hardly wait to see the entire blog cabin finished!!! I hope it's my year to win!!!!

MaryPhyllis on March 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm
    • Hi MaryPhyllis, I am as anxious as you appear to be, I fell in love with this home and property at the beginning of the 2014 Blog Cabin and I must say I have every intention of winning this home. It fits me to a tee. My best wishes to you and I look forward to blogging with you throughout the blogging/voting period. Best wishes.:)

Sheri McNamara on March 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm
    • I just wanted to tell you good luck and best wishes to you! I look forward to blogging with you also. This is a beautiful home and Florida is a great place for me and my RA and old body. I love that it is by Lake Hamilton! I can't hardly wait till it's finished!

MaryPhyllis on March 5, 2014 at 5:18 pm
  10. Back in my home town in upstate NY, there was a bit of a political fight going on at election time. Neighbor was pitted against neighbor, and the signs supporting each issue and candidate were getting out of hand. One crafty politico got the idea to block her neighbors' signs with plastic flamingos, rather ripping them out of the lawn. Soon, people were buying plastic flamingos in bulk, trying to cover signage with flocks of our fine feathered friends.

Well, everyone had a good laugh and tempers were calmed. Election Day came and went. Then Thanksgiving and Christmas. Finally, the spring thaw came. Next thing you know, the flocks of pink were back on the lawns. No one is sure who started it, but it seemed to have stemmed from a peanut butter jar that one lady couldn't recycle because she couldn't get the peanut butter all cleaned out. She managed to sneak it on to her neighbor's kitchen counter during a visit, and ran out before it was discovered. That peanut butter jar was like a white elephant. It was passed from neighbor to neighbor, and was even shipped by various "friends" to neighbors on vacation.

Somehow, the peanut butter jar (with it's petrified contents) and the plastic flamingos merged into armaments in a friendly community war that continues to this day. When the pink flamingos come out, you know someone is holding a grudge about something. Even I installed about 40 of the birds on the lawn one night in hopes that my parents' next door neighbor wouldn't wake me up at the crack of dawn the next day with his lawn mower. 6:30am on a Sunday is NOT the time to be mowning your lawn when you are retired and had the whole week to do it. Grrrr! I guess I showed him! He couldn't mow around them, so he had to pull each of them up before he could start. He told me later that by around the 10th bird, he got the point. :-)

TwoCorgis on March 5, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • Oh, and I did help him remove the rest of the birds after I woke up so that he could mow the lawn. I actually felt a little guilty about it until his wife told me that he liked to ride around on his mower on Sunday mornings to avoid taking her to church. Shame on him!

TwoCorgis on March 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm