Mar 4

I Spy Pink Flamingos at Blog Cabin 2014

Pink flamingos

Our friendly and fearless online host, Laurie March, is at Blog Cabin this week working on a few projects with the team. In her spare time, she’s conjured up a fun cabin cam exclusive activity for you, which involves sneaky pink flamingos.

Every day this week she’ll be placing these playful yard ornaments in different spots around the construction site. Check the cabin cam and let us know when and where you spot a flamingo!

Click over to the House Counselor for a brief history lesson on the plastic pink bird and a behind-the-scenes update from Laurie.

• Posted at 5:40 pm on March 3, 2014

1. I also noticed some plants in the east side of the front yard and it looks like the flamingo is out there as well. And the flamingo that was down by the lake is now missing. I believe I just saw Laurie walking towards the crane!:)

Slps60 on March 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm
  2. Trying to keep up with the Blog Cabin's crafty flamingos reminds me of all the fun we have with those devious location clue wild goose chases, only in this case, with pops of pink to guide us hither and yon!

DBCoop on March 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm
  3. Getting to the voting I believe that the coach is more comfortable than those segmented ones; that a good look at what your going to set in. Which one will you not feel sore in after a while.

Denise_D_ on March 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm
    • Hi Denise, I also voted for the couch as it seems to fit more with the style of the house and it does look very comfy. The copper on the firepalce picks up on the copper that's going to be in the kitchen.
      I love the materials that were selected for this round. can't wait to see how it all plays out.

NvbH on March 4, 2014 at 11:42 pm
    • The copper trim should be easier to upkeep in the living room. I also think the pull out storage gives us more storage than the DVD, plus movie can be order on line and end up on HD channels anyway

Denise_D_ on March 5, 2014 at 10:40 am

Denise_D_ on March 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm
    • Hi everyone! I think that the copper trim is going to look great and go well with the copper island that was voted on in the kitchen. I voted for the white blinds instead of the tan. I think either one will look good though.

Aliecat on March 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm
    • I can't see the copper linking the kitchen and Family room at all. The two items are about 60 ft apart from each other and through two other rooms. There's no possible 'flow' of copper from one to the other. That said I like the copper trim. Copper always looks nice near or around a fireplace. But the stained wood looks great too. :)

Sally on March 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm
    • I think she means as the house as a whole. Say for instants that the use it for accents though out the house. Kit. Sink,all water working parts,, pictures, and so on.

Denise_D_ on March 9, 2014 at 10:44 am
    • Yeah I just meant for accents for the house as a whole. I initially didn't vote for the copper in the kitchen because I had no idea how you would clean it, I guess with a copper cleaner like stainless steal? lol :)

Aliecat on March 9, 2014 at 11:27 am
    • I just Googled copper counters and to my surprise it said just to use soap and water to clean on a daily basis and butcher's wax every six months for up keep. Cool!

Aliecat on March 9, 2014 at 11:33 am
  4. Now that the house is completly wrapped looking more like Noah's Ark then a cabin it would not surprise me to see the flamingos two by two.

Jay Michajluk on March 4, 2014 at 7:59 pm
    • How can we tell the difference between the Boy and the Girl plastic FLAMINGO's? :)

MAOW on March 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm
    • good question MAOW..

twoTERRIERs on March 4, 2014 at 8:14 pm
    • Real simple .Walk up to them, and ask them……….

Snowbird2014 on March 5, 2014 at 8:48 am
    • Haaaaa!

Laurie

Laurie_March on March 5, 2014 at 9:25 am
  5. A few fun Flamingo facts from The Book Of Useless Information.

1) Flamingos are pink because they consume vast quantities of algae.

2) Flamingos can live up to eighty years (The plastic ones live longer).

3) Flamingos can only eat with their heads upside down.

MAOW on March 4, 2014 at 8:41 pm
    • One more…

A FLOCK of Flamingos is called a STAND or a FLAMBOYANCE.

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 10:34 am
    • There's also a Flurry and a Regiment. Quite a number of collective nouns. Probably from different parts of the world and the words translated into English are different.

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 10:40 am
    • Clive,

Good information.

I initially chuckled at the thought of a FLAMBOYANT REGIMENT but it pretty much sums up what a flock of Flamingos looks like.

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 10:54 am
    • I wonder if a flock of Flamingos are called a Stand because they stand around when they eat.

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm
    • I love this! I had no idea they lived so long. Wow!

Virginia_Moon on March 5, 2014 at 10:41 am
    • According to The Book Of Useless Information they live UP to 80 years. However, other sources on-line do list the AVERAGE life expectancy significantly lower.

I guess the same could be said of humans. A woman could live UP to 110 years of age or more but the average is in the mid-70's.

MAOW on March 5, 2014 at 10:51 am
    • Nothing like having a longevity target. ;)

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 11:19 am
  6. I likes reading about the history of the Flamingo! You should start the names with Mr, and Mrs, Featherstone ! Looking forward to spotting these fine feathered friends, Fun! Fun!

Dolly on March 4, 2014 at 9:10 pm
  7. Thank you Laurie for doing this! We needed some Florida Flamingo Fun to warm us up!

TwoCorgis on March 4, 2014 at 10:15 pm
  8. Have you ever seen a flock of flamingos flying?

twoTERRIERs on March 4, 2014 at 11:22 pm
    • Yes, many times on the Great Rift Valley soda lakes and in the Yucatan. B)

Clive on March 4, 2014 at 11:39 pm
    • I saw some here south of houston a few years ago, they are beautiful and majestic….sun-set kissed…

twoTERRIERs on March 5, 2014 at 12:01 am
    • I have only seen it on TV. I bet that was fantastic to see them in real life.

Eugenia27 on March 5, 2014 at 4:36 pm
    • RosySent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone——– Original message ——–

twoTERRIERs on March 5, 2014 at 4:58 pm
    • I lived in Salt Lake City for a few years. They have an aviary in the park. They had a flock of flamingos there. One of them escaped and lived on the lake. They tried to catch him many times but never could. It was fun spotting him when you could.

Jennifer Smith on March 5, 2014 at 9:49 am
  9. In our neighborhood in The Villages there is a tradition of putting 6 pink flamingos and some other trinkets in the yard of a house that a family is having a special event like a birthday or significant anniversary.

YankeeNuke on March 5, 2014 at 12:25 am
  10. Hi all! Hope you are enjoying our fine, silly pink flamingos! Loving all your Flamingo Folklore so far…

The cabin is really coming along, no? These guys are working hard to hit some pretty big deadlines. Go team!

One thing I wish you were able to see from the camera is how magical and happy the whole property is- the quality of the light, the songs from the native birds, and the wildlife that are all around you. If I won this house, I'd set up a permanent tent in the front acreage and camp out in my own yard. Climbing trees galore, too.

Buuuut I can't win it. I hope YOU will!

Dylan and I will have to figure out a way to distinguish between the boy and girl flamingo…

Laurie

Laurie_March on March 5, 2014 at 8:36 am
    • You can tell them apart by the ladies beautiful eyelashes:*

Jennifer Smith on March 5, 2014 at 9:55 am
    • Interesting question, Laurie.

How DO you tell the guy flamingos from the girls? Do the guys tend to swagger more when they walk? Is there more sway from the fairer sex? Nope! According to reliable sources, it takes an expert.

Visually, the only difference is that the males tend to be slightly larger and weigh a little more, but if you've got a flock of female flamingos with healthy appetites, all bets are off!

You're going to have to tag the males in your flamingo family with blue ribbons, Laurie — about the only way to tell Sam from Sadie.

DBCoop on March 5, 2014 at 12:26 pm
    • Just look under the flamingo's dress.

webwoman on March 6, 2014 at 9:50 am
    • The girl flamingos don't drink milk out of the carton, they get a clean glass out of the cupboard. :)

Lia_M on March 5, 2014 at 8:07 pm
    • That is a great one! LOL!!!!^_^

amberPA on March 5, 2014 at 10:26 pm
    • They could erect a small restroom then see who leaves the seat up and who doesn't. ;)

Clive on March 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm
    • The boy flamingos wander around lost and confused. The girl flamingos stop and ask for directions.

TwoCorgis on March 6, 2014 at 12:06 am
    • what about pink or blue bows? It is getting close to Easter;)

Sha on March 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm
    • Hi Laurie, It's been a while since we have conversed. If you are truly enjoying flamingos, you have to visit Sarasota Jungle Gardens! Look it up on-line, it is awe-inspiring. All the real flamingos pink or white. Sorry I wasn't trying to become a commercial, I think anyone would want to visit there if they get close. Have a wonderful evening . I enjoy reading your blog and thanks for spicing it up with Pinkie, Pete, or what ever their names are.;) PS I love the 2014 blog cabin. Thanks to all who help.<3

Sheri McNamara on March 6, 2014 at 7:38 pm
    • Laurie, I love your idea of the permanent tent to climb trees and watch the native wildlife. I live just 20 or so miles North of this beautiful location and just had a screen patio added to my small lanai, it's great watching the birds in the feeders we've put up in the woodsy area behind us. Wish I was young enough to join you on your climbing trips, but be careful and take lot of pictures.:)

nanwes on March 8, 2014 at 7:31 pm