Feb 26

Blog Cabin Cam Update

blog cabin cam

Hi Blog Cabin fans -

Sorry for the inconvenience with our cabin cam recently. We’ve been having technical difficulty with the internet connection on location, which has been addressed and fixed.

Please continue checking in on the progress, and share with us the exciting things you’re seeing!

SEE THE LIVE CAMERA>>

• Posted at 6:31 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Electrical & plumbing going in today. I like the 'FOX' plumbing logo but can't repeat it on the blog or the blog 'police' will probably censor me. ;) ^_^

This is turning into a 'speed build'. :D

Just wondering how much chaos and how many 'knock-on' issues in the DIY-Network's plans for everything (not just Blog Cabin) were caused by that the one month delay in moving the house. o.0

Clive on February 27, 2014 at 11:55 am
    • No doubt that they have to play catch-up! In the past, there seemed to be a significant time gap between the apparent end of construction activities and the drawing. So maybe the one month delay didn't cause a big scheduling problem for the BC. The most significant problems may be associated with DIY's shooting/filming schedule.

RLDorf on February 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm
    • Clive, do you have any cordinates on the location of this one yet?

nanwes on March 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm
  2. Cool looks like someone with some sort of camera equipment?? But in any event cool to watch the build!

LRN on February 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm
  3. Thanks for making sure we can watch everything, Virginia! :)

Love that Cabin Cam…

xo.

Laurie

Laurie_March on February 27, 2014 at 12:09 pm
    • Just watching Dylan and the film crew on site. Are you there yet Kayla?

Clive on February 27, 2014 at 12:10 pm
    • Oops, so sorry Laurie. I'm sure you know who I meant. :$:$:$

Clive on February 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm
    • Clive was watching them also. Outside and inside. Looks like whoevery was working at the planning board was their point of interest.

Jay Michajluk on February 27, 2014 at 8:57 pm
  4. Hi Virginia,
    Thank you for being so great and to show us the BC progress, It is coming along just beautiful. The job is on full speed build. My heart is really set on winning this beautiful BC. Hubby and I are really ready to move the 2014 BC in Florida. Too cold here in New Jersey. Thank you DIY.

Maria on February 27, 2014 at 12:13 pm
  5. A huge thank you for bringing back our taste of spring no matter how far away it is! Lovely to see the cabin grow into its new form so fast. So many little things we see help us in approaching our own maintenance. the activity is amazing.

grammagail on February 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm
    • yup, it's amazing! Im still waiting for my children to procreate. Im jealous. I am an RN, retired, due to MS and live for HGTV and DIY network…god bless your family and I hope all the workmen stay stay safe on the worksite. Hurricane season will be upon Florida soon..Orlando should be safe but who knows what happens. From angienurse10@aol.com

angie young on March 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm
  6. If anyone has a good computer, laptop you can see hints of iron work (circle inside a peak) possible for outdoor sitting area , on the N.W. side and possibly a trailor of Blue stone or gray timber.

Denise_D_ on February 27, 2014 at 2:49 pm
  7. I saw those pipes yesterday, if there is some today it must be little here and there. 2nd floor has to be in place for the bathroom pipes to line up perfectly.

Denise_D_ on February 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm
    • Way too early to put in any plumbing, or electrical.

Snowbird2014 on February 27, 2014 at 4:18 pm
    • I do not think that any plumbing or electrical will be started prior to all the first floor walls are done. Fox Plumbing may be working on some of the major sewer drain lines. May already be in place. It is hard to tell. If they are putting in a septic tank and leach field I would guess that would have to be in the front yard and away from the lake and out of our site for construction. The pipes we see in the wall I think are from the old bath that was between the two bedrooms. The floor is not on yet for the new BR back of the Kitchen so it would make it easy for then to get into the crawl space to install the drains for the kitchen bathrooms and laundry

Jay Michajluk on February 27, 2014 at 8:45 pm
    • Fox plumbing was on site all day as was an electrical contractor. Maybe roughing in some wiring and pipework. Now would be the time while walls & studs are bare.

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 1:27 am
    • I saw they removing old pipes same with electrical. So re framing walls

Denise_D_ on February 28, 2014 at 8:25 am
  8. Ok…..I can see the footing for the steps in front of the French or sliding door (middle of the middle section). I hope that they are planning a lanai for that area…but if one was planned, they probably would have put in footings for that when the did the footing for the steps. Just thinking out loud here.

RLDorf on February 27, 2014 at 3:38 pm
    • I hope you're right a screened lanani is a must for Florida especially by a lake in Central Florida. Small mesh to keep out the "no-seeums" and for the "blind mosquitos" (they're not really mosquitos just a pain) fly up out of the grasses and into your eyes and nose! ;-)

LRN on February 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm
    • YardCore can work miracles! Love those guys!

stlmom1 on February 27, 2014 at 7:14 pm
    • Maybe a perimeter of citronella plants would help. I have always wanted to look into how effective they were at keeping mosquitos away. We have had success with the oil as long as we plan ahead and light torches and candles at least 30 minutes ahead of the time we plan to be outside. Fans are also great for keeping them away. What keeps no-seeums and blind mosquitos away?

LAUDGIRL on February 27, 2014 at 7:43 pm
    • Waving at LAUDGIRL …

The summer of 1959 (I was seventeen and it – was – a very good year … :) ), was particularly hot and humid. And, in our neck of the woods, a bumper-crop of minute critters intent on making a meal of anything human that ventured outdoors was spawned. So … we were all more than a little curious (and a lot impressed) on the Saturday when the neighborhood's always-a-step-ahead trailblazer installed a wondrous – BugWhacker. Popcorn was popped. Soft drinks wre served. Homemade ice cream was – made. Lawnchairs were circled and we all watched – enthralled – as a host of our enemies snapped, crackled and popped.

By the following Saturday, every backyard that was anybody's had one of the instruments of eradication. And to those of us who grew up there, '59 is still referred to as the BugWhacker Year.

Georgianna on February 27, 2014 at 9:20 pm
    • I still have one of them hanging in my barn. Seems that our new home's location does not have many bugs. Can sit out until much after dark and nothing. Those zappers kill so many bugs that it disrupts their breeding cycle and they get less and less.

Jay Michajluk on February 28, 2014 at 10:09 am
    • BugWhacker – good to know. Sounds a lot safer than the DDT smoke trucks we used to run or ride our bikes behind in the 60' s! I know there are still planes releasing "Malathion" – causes liver cancer with repeated exposure – but supposedly? they stay away from populated areas.

LAUDGIRL on February 28, 2014 at 10:15 am
    • Bug whackers are next to useless for killing female mosquitoes, the ones that bite, but they are good for killing honey bees, butterflies and other pollinating & beneficial insects. They also hurt fingers and pets who touch or sniff them. Citronella and mums planted close by will be as effective, if not more so.

If you have the $250 get a propane 'bug magnet', they really work and will clear an area of about 1/2 acre of female mossies and other blood eating flies (black flies, sandflies, no-seeums etc.). However, they will attract these bugs from quite a distance so there will be a constant stream of female mossies etc. heading your way. Netting + DEET on clothing or your skin is the best way to keep un-bitten. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 11:15 am
    • When I lived in MA we had a lot of big mosquitoes. My dad had an attachment that he put on the lawn mower. It replaced the muffler and there was a tank on the control handle of the mower with a hose connected to the new muffler. There was some kind of oil that you put in the tank and a lever to start and stop the flow. The oil when it hit the hot muffler it would smoke. Do not know it the smoke killed the mosquitoes or just kept them away, but it worked.

Jay Michajluk on February 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm
    • Very strange, when replying to your post my last message came up and then I got an error message. I got out and got back in…same thing. I had to delete everything before typing this. Gremlins I guess?

Anyway, we have used a hand held fogger that used some form of oil in the past before outdoor parties that worked great. Many hours without any pests. I will have to find out what the chemical used was. Hopefully nothing dangerous. It has been about 10-15 years.

A beautiful sunset this evening. Big Red Ball as Kenny Chesney would say (sing)!

LAUDGIRL on February 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm
    • Hello!

Here, in West Virginia, I don't recall ever seeing a DDT truck. But I do remember that the pesticide was widely used. And, like so many things that we know are not good for us, sorely missed when it was banned …:)

As for the fondly remembered BugWhackers of my youth: I really didn't mean to endorse their use. I've never lived where mosquitos were a real nuisance. And unlike birds (:)), insects aren't usually a problem for me. I'm very rarely bitten. It was just that the discussion reminded me of just how hilarious it is to those of us who remember that evening that an entire neighborhood turned out to watch the mini-mayhem. We cannot think about it now, over 50 years later, without giggling at how very easily we were once amused.

Georgianna on February 28, 2014 at 1:40 pm
    • Honestly not a thing I know of or tried….blind mosquitos are right up there with Love Bugs just a pain and really annoying. They look like mosquitos (do NOT bite) and fly up in black clouds when you walk across the grass. They would fly up my nose into my eyes and getting in my eyes did hurt. However, No-seems on the other hand are really tiny things that DO bite and can get through standard size screening on windows or screen enclosures. Everyone I know in Florida stressed paying a little more and getting the smallest mesh screen.

LRN on February 28, 2014 at 8:38 am
    • Now that you describe the blind mosquito, I am very familiar. They seem to only be around our home when the grass is high enough for them to hide in. In the spring and/or fall we have a problem with horseflies and dragonflies – they both attack when we are swimming in the pool in the late afternoon. Like mosquitos, no seeums lay their larvae in standing water. I wounder if there is a way to get rid of that pool of water down near the lake, it likely is breeding these critters.

LAUDGIRL on February 28, 2014 at 10:38 am
    • Dragonflies are probably hunting smaller insects like mosquitoes and flies that are attracted to you when in the water. Dragonflies together with bats, are some of the most voracious hunters of mosquitoes ever. Encourage either and your mosquitoes will have a hard time. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 11:19 am
    • 'Blind Mosquitoes' are also known all over as lake flies and are members of the family Chironomidae. Mosqitoes are members of the Culicidae family. Up here in WI ‘blind mosquitoes’ are often called ‘Muckleheads’. "Blind mosquitoes" are not mosquitoes and don't bite. Huge swarms on some of our Northern lakes have been known to choke boat motors and cause respiratory issues with humans by obstructing airways if inhaled in large numbers. Their greatest predators are bats, swifts swallows and martins. Another reason for encouraging them to build homes on the BC plot. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm
    • Mosquitoes aren't attracted to the new LED lights, but they are attracted to incandescent light bulbs. So if you turn on a incandescent light else where in the yard away from you and turn on an LED light near you, they won't bother you. I am not sure about no-seeums ot Blind mosquitoes (i never even heard of them). Just a little thing I learned this week.

Jennifer Smith on February 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm
    • Actually, mosquitoes aren't attracted by light despite popular belief. In a bug zapper there will always be a few dead mosquitoes, especially if there are many around. But they're almost totally ineffective in controlling mosquitoes. A recent scientific study carried out at the Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory showed that less than 0.01% of all insects killed in bug zappers are mosquitoes and of those less than 4% are the biting females. Several other studies all come to similar conclusions. Bug zappers are next to useless at controlling mosquitoes. They're very good at killing harmless and beneficial insects such as honeybees, butterflies and moths. They also kill a lot of midges which look a lot like mosquitoes but don't bite and are strongly attracted to UV light. Female mosquitoes, primarily, use carbon dioxide, lactic acid and heat to find mammals. Propane fuelled Mosquito Magnets are excellent at attracting and killing mosquitoes. Only problem is they attract mosquitoes to your yard before killing them so it can be a two edged sword. ;) Good netting is the best answer when coupled with repellant and appropriate clothing after dark. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 1:22 am
    • Even if the light thing doesn't work, I prefer to stay in after the mosquitoes are out. So, sunroom would be used often in the evening.

Jennifer Smith on February 28, 2014 at 6:39 am
    • I have one of those blue light insect repellents, and all I ever get is a ton of mosquitoes under it. There are so many mosquitoes in the summer, so they really are attracted to that blue light. Surveys can say one thing, actual use can prove otherwise. I have had this light for years and years, and there are no bugs by our front door, because they are all dead under the light, mostly mosquitoes by the bucket full. It is so full some mornings, I have to turn it off, and clean it out with a small stick, every morning. Those lights are about forty five bucks at a hardware store.

builder on February 28, 2014 at 9:30 am
    • Much as I respect your knowledge on building matters you aren't an entomologist. Mosquitoes aren't attracted by light, in fact they tend to avoid light when possible, hence hiding under trees, in tall grass, under beds and in closets indoors. They may be attracted to the heat of the light as they can sense temperature when close to a source but not light in any wavelength. That's entomological fact. If you have those insects in your zapper checked by a qualified entomologist most aren't actually mosquitoes and those that are will be primarily males which don't bite. Bug zappers work well inside buildings, especially where food is prepared, as they attract flies and other insects but as mosquito control they're very ineffective. That's fact not untrained observation. Bug zappers outdoors are a serious threat to bees and other pollinators, not mosquitoes. This isn't a survey it's scientifically managed tests in many states run by expert labs. Your 'proof' is personal observation without any controls i.e. can you tell the difference between a fried mosquito and a fried midge? You can't refute many published, peer reviewed studies in many states including MN by reputable scientists. Don't waste money on bug zappers. Planting mums and citronella near a patio will have more repellant effect. Netting + DEET is really the best protection. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 10:50 am
    • Clive, I know a mosquito when I see one. I may not be an entomologist, but I know my fluorescent blue light zapper really kills mosquitos. I have never seen a dead bee under the zapper, either. I know what I experience, and others may not have the same results, just like last year when someone said boiled linseed oil is not good. Guess what the guys on most woodworking programs use on their products, just like I use on all my woodworking products? Boiled Linseed Oil.. Experience is the best teacher, not always books, and scientific reports.

Our blue light zapper is on the end of our deck, and we live close to a lake, where there are tons of mosquitos. Once in awhile there will be a dead yellow jacket.

Enough said for today.

builder on February 28, 2014 at 11:55 am
    • Mums, now that's one I've never heard. I will definitely try this method! Thanks Clive.

LAUDGIRL on February 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm
    • White mums contain pyrethrin which is a natural insect repellant and killer. ;) This will help : – http://www.ehow.com/how_8367686_grow-chrysanthemu

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 1:04 pm
    • Billy the exterminator uses that stuff too. He uses anything that doesn't kill bees. BTW, when I mentioned the lights, I have to tell you LED don't put out heat but incandescent lights do. So those mosquitoes could be attracted to heat, not light. I was just telling you what I learned from a college website, can't remember which one because I have looked at many with my daughter recently.

Jennifer Smith on February 28, 2014 at 2:19 pm
    • You're correct. Incandescent lights and short wavelength blue lights (those used in bug zappers) emit some heat which will attract some mosquitoes from nearby but not many or enough to dent the population. :)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 3:53 pm
    • We call then nats.

Jay Michajluk on February 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm
  9. Did you see that they are using part of the original roof. and the back wall of the sun room is being used. Looks like they added some to the top of it to support the rafters and beefed up the lower wall also. Now we can see that they left a little of the ridge from the old sun room. I would think now that the out side wall of the new sun room is in they will put in the new ridge from the like side wall of the sun room to join with the old part of the roof they left. Then the rafters can be placed to the left and right of the sun room forming its roof at a 90 degree to the rest of the roof.

Jay Michajluk on February 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm
  10. Good morning every one. Wanted to get on here this morning early – will be gone most of the day.
    TITAN is comming to PA this weekend with 6+ inches of snow and temps near 6 degrees.
    A look at the cam this morning shows most of the old wall is gone and we now have a set of windows and the opening for the doors to the back in place. By the end of the day I expect to see the entire wall (lake side) complete. Have a good day blogging I am out.

Jay Michajluk on February 28, 2014 at 9:59 am