Feb 21

Behind-the-Scenes with Chris Grundy and Jason Cameron

blog cabin interview

Deanne Revel catches up with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, host of Blog Cabin 2014, to find out what went down on the first day of demo. From construction challenges to triumphs, these guys tell all.

We hope you enjoy this entertaining sneak peek as much as we do!

WATCH THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE >>

• Posted at 12:02 pm on February 2, 2014

1. He fire place that was painted white, I wonder if they will strip the paint off or reface it. The Chimney still needs to be comple. I think that it will have to wait until the 2nd floor is up and the house re shingled, which comes 1st is the ?

Denise_D_ on February 26, 2014 at 12:17 pm
  2. These guys have a tough job, huh? ;)

Excited to hear about Jason Cameron's show. I'm popping out to Winterhaven this coming week to shoot some more videos for you all! Can't wait to see what Grundy and Jason smashed up with those heavy sledge hammers…

I'll make sure to share the adventure…

Laurie
    http://blog.hgtvremodels.com/2014/02/19/diy-dorma… :p

Laurie_March on February 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm
    • If I see you on the cam. I'll wave:) Have fun in the warmth.

Clive on February 26, 2014 at 12:48 pm
    • Sounds like you're in for a fun trip, Laurie. If you have the chance, it would be fun to see what they saved after demo so we can imagine how it might be re-used. Presumably, some bits and pieces were carefully removed and not smashed to smithereens. ;)

TwoCorgis on February 26, 2014 at 1:36 pm
    • Laurie, You are right they do have a tough job, that is hard work, especially since they have to be careful not to ruin what they want to salvage and reuse.

And we can't wait to see what you discover and what Jason's new show is about.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Slps60 on February 28, 2014 at 10:49 am
    • Good to hear from you Laurie ! Anxious to see what you have to share with us. Chris and Jason are quite a pair. But great to see guys have fun with their work.
      Take care and my very best to you. Nan <3 <3 <3 <3

Nan on February 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm
  3. Wow the camera is running. Like what I see! B)

MaryPA on February 26, 2014 at 12:52 pm
  4. OK so there will be steps from the Living room French doors on the lakeside straight to the ground, no significant deck by the look of it. A paved patio possibly? :)

Clive on February 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm
    • Hello, I am new here, but have been enjoying this tremendously and have enjoyed reading what you all write in the blog. I bet, Clive, that we will be voting in about 2 weeks or so on what will be in the back, either a deck, patio, or lanai (from Golden Girls show and they lived in Florida). I hope that whatever is chosen is incredible, because my husband and I would love to own the cabin. Hope to talk to you all more soon. BTW, I love the pet fountain and the color. It will match my cats fur wonderfully. It's about time something was done for a cat – LOL.

Jennifer Smith on February 26, 2014 at 5:19 pm
    • I thought the PET FOUNTAIN was for the ALLIGATORS :o . My bad.

MAOW on February 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm
    • I think it will be a paved patio. I'm sure it will be nice they always are

Denise_D_ on February 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm
  5. Many hands make fast work. Lots of new 2X4's since we were unable to see what was happening. The OSB really went up fast, along with the house wrap. Lots and lots of windows. Perfect for a lake front home. The guys made that new addition really quick, while we were away. Just wait when they start building the framework for the second story. Hope everyone is having fun watching the action. Looks like a temporary drafting table has been built along the nearside, for use with the blueprints.

Builder on February 26, 2014 at 2:52 pm
  6. When the 1st Floor Plans were posted a lot of bloggers asked if an opening would be added between the Family Room and Sun Room. Can anyone tell based on the framing completed so far if an opening was added between the Family Room and Sun Room to improve the flow of this part of the home?

MAOW on February 26, 2014 at 4:52 pm
    • Blueprint does not call for any opening between the sunroom and family room.

Builder on February 26, 2014 at 5:03 pm
    • Builder,

Thanks for your response. I realize that the blueprint did not call for an opening between the sunroom and family room. However, I thought that of all the layout changes suggested by bloggers that adding an opening between the sunroom and family room made the most sense.

Based on other bloggers comments I didn't expect any/many changes to be made to the floor plan but until the wall goes up there is always hope (I am also hoping for a deck around the second floor).

MAOW on February 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm
    • The French Doors that are now shown in the blueprint positioned between the Sun Room and new Dining/Living Room were originally centered in the common wall between the Living (now Family) Room and Sun Room. So, DIY didn't decide not to open the wall. Rather, it would seem that the decision was made to close it.

I m looking forward to seeing the reason. I think … :)

Georgianna on February 26, 2014 at 5:24 pm
    • PS:

I think that we can see the original opening for the doors (and that it has been (is going to be) closed in this Screen Cap from the Cabin Cam (of just a few minutes ago): http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x62/Georjanna/

Georgianna on February 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm
  7. They are right you guys do look tired which I imagine all you do including Dylan. I feel so bad when these houses turn out so much more than planned. Don"t know if planned or happed that way but two together AGH!!. But anyway looks as though got everything under control-as usual. The house looks like it is coming along and will be beautiful-breath-taking-I cannot wait for it to be finished and then of course the drawing and THEN THE WINNER and I too want to be pick so much. Good luck to everyone and good luck guys and gals all be careful. You have something special again .(just like bogey and bacall)

bogartandbacall on February 26, 2014 at 5:19 pm
    • Renovation is never easy, and anything can be expected. I have renovated old homes, and a person can never plan on anything definite. There will always be unexpected surprises, no matter how hard you plan. Every night, it will be a "scratching your head evening", wondering how to correct things. In the end, through lots of hard work, trial and error, and more figuring, things will look fantastic. That is why carpenters have very thick pencils, :) :)

Builder on February 26, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    • but what a reward when it's all finished! I envy you, I have always wished I had learned carpentry when I was young…maybe someday when there is a little more time to play!

LAUDGIRL on February 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm
  8. I'd raise a cup of coffee with Grundy and friends any day. *smile*

Laurie

Laurie_March on February 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm
    • I love how they repurposed the old door by framing it and turning it into the sliding door In BC 2013, what a creative way to reuse that door and what a neat feature to have in the house.

Slps60 on March 1, 2014 at 10:36 am
  9. You are right about the thick pencil never thought about it. and every thing else. Now we sort of see what is going on with someone but not in their head I also do not have the knowledge and patience so needed for your job. How much it must take- I too will raise a cup of coffee to you guys-you soo deserve it- Love the home and it is quite beautiful and not even finished yet.Wait till its done (if we can)xD:D:)

bogartandbacall on February 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm
  10. Well, we are getting ready to be hit with another winter storm. With all the metal that I have in my back, I feel like I am a walking icicle. Tonight, I am going to dream of being in Florida where it is nice and warm all year round. Maybe that will help me feel better.

CheleRS3 on February 28, 2014 at 12:57 am
    • Stay safe. It's -6 tonight in WI where we live but no snow forecast until the weekend. When will this winter ease? :(

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 1:41 am
    • Clive,

When I visited Green Bay 16 years ago to consider a relocation offer I was told that there were two seasons in Wisconsin, WINTER and …… JULY 4th. Therefore, you only have to wait until JULY 4th for WINTER to end (But it starts again on JULY 5th). :p

MAOW on February 28, 2014 at 9:16 am
    • Absolutely true. We also call February January II. ;)

Clive on February 28, 2014 at 3:56 pm
    • There is no way I could handle that. I live in Missouri and that is cold enough for me. I have a lot of metal in my back from an accident and the cold weather just kills me. I am needing that 85 degree weather for health reasons too. I am just going to keep praying and dreaming. I hope you all stay warm and safe. We are getting a snow/ice storm this weekend and I am dreading it. I can't imagine what kind of storms you guys get. I will be praying for all of you that you stay warm and that if you have to get out that you are safe. God Bless. Michele

CheleRS3 on March 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm