Feb 21

Behind-the-Scenes with Chris Grundy and Jason Cameron

blog cabin interview

Deanne Revel catches up with Jason Cameron and Chris Grundy, host of Blog Cabin 2014, to find out what went down on the first day of demo. From construction challenges to triumphs, these guys tell all.

We hope you enjoy this entertaining sneak peek as much as we do!

WATCH THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE >>

• Posted at 12:02 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Love this video chat and I wonder, if Jason focuses on the demo/construction, does that leave room for another Crasher to come in and rebuild? (i.e. a certain Room Crasher that wasn't listed?) It also sounds like anyone worried about not having the history of the house represented can stop worrying. If only the camera was working so we could see what they were up to this morning!

stlmom1 on February 25, 2014 at 10:11 am
    • How do I get you guys to check out my new plumbing product "The Clear J Trap"? http://youtu.be/7Sn5anwreJg
      Its approved by IAPMO & UPC! Working with Lowes to get it in stores this fall.
      Can send out samples asap! Distributors opportunities available in all areas.
      Thanks in advance for you help or comments.
      clearjtrap@gmail.com

Erick on March 5, 2014 at 4:32 pm
  2. Wish that everyone working enjoyed their jobs as much as these two seem to!

grswla on February 25, 2014 at 10:14 am
  3. Thanks to Chris and Jason for their enthusiastic video! Sure wish they'd taken us inside to see what they demo'd. I think we knew that moving the stairs would take some work and the comparing the old and new diagrams should show us what they had to take out. Much better it was them swinging a 16 lb. sledgehammer than one of us.

RLDorf on February 25, 2014 at 10:19 am
    • Good Morning!
      I am so glad to see you. Because I've yet to tell you how much I appreciated your kind words. Thank you. And I certainly agree: I want both of those Masters. One up – for not-quite-as-mature-as-I–am visitors – and one down that I do not intend to give up unless the visitor is much more mature than I am …:) And I do so want to see a fully-accessible First Floor: perhaps this is finally the year.

I stopped by, too, because of your comment about comparing the old and new diagrams of the first floor:
      I kept getting so confused about what was where (or going to be) – when – that I finally created this graphic – http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x62/Georjanna/… – late last night. Just in time for it all to have been sledgehammered into a moot point … :) But, for reference, it's still a bit of help, I think It puts the Old over the New and labels the rooms so that, I hope, they are easy to identify without having to scroll back and forth.

Take care. No more falls. And let's hope that we're all done with ice soon.

Georgianna on February 25, 2014 at 11:30 am
    • Your diagram overlay is really helpful. Thanks! As for the snow and ice, my city (Kalamazoo, MI) issued a pipe freeze warning – asking all customers to turn on one faucet and let it run 24/7 until May. The ground is frozen down to 5 feet. Florida is looking really good right now!

RLDorf on February 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm
    • RLDorf …

I'm glad to know that the diagram was welcome. But, I can't believe your weather! So your post has encouraged me to reassess complaining about our winters in WV. However, the vow doesn't preclude Florida dreaming. And, in fact, I plan to spend the month of April with my aunt who has a condo on the coast just north of Miami. She's had the winter home for years and this is the first opportunity I've had to spend some time with her down there. I'm looking forward to it .

And, on a another positive note: I've always heard that your city is a truly nice place to live (frozen faucet and tundra advisories, I suppose, notwithstanding) . So, if someone has to live north of South Carolina, maybe we're two of the lucky ones among them.

G

Georgianna on March 1, 2014 at 2:00 am
    • Thank you for sharing your diagram. It is much nicer than my scribbled print-out. <3

TwoCorgis on February 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm
    • Two Corgis …

The diagram was born because I can't draw a straight line or read my own handwriting. And I am exaggerating only very slightly …:)

G

Georgianna on March 1, 2014 at 1:28 am
    • Ice? Where see ice? Too busy enjoying the FL sunshine, even if it is liquid from time to time. Was able to watch the cam crew through Cabin Cam. Neat! Thanks Georgianna for the Bucket Pic. Can't for the life of me guess the scale of the second floor, it may become a moot point too. Do you think those guys will do push ups again.

MrMoogy2 on February 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm
    • MrMoogy2 …

You're welcome.

And I know what you mean about the Second Fl;oor. I've fiddled with it forever and finally decided that it is either 28' (or 30') X 12' (or 14') and fits right in the middle of the Cabin. Sort of like so (the 12'X28' version is shown layered over the New … and the Old … Plans): http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x62/Georjanna/…. Note: I keep hoping that Jay or Clive will take pity and just tell me how big it is and exactly where it is … :)

Which brings me to a thought that I'm certain I share with many others here:

Would it not be great if, for 2015, DIY offered us a (voting) choice between two (or three) totally different treatments of the same space (complete design packages that featured contrasting facades, floor plans, lifestyle emphases, etc). I will admit that it would be a bit of extra work for the Blog Cabin Team, but it would be so very much more fun for us. And we are, after all, worth it … :)

G

Georgianna on March 1, 2014 at 2:34 am
    • Thanks Georgianna!
      Sorry for the delay in response, had trouble logging in, kept getting booted out. Most likely one of the senior moments that gets us all no matter the age.

Thank you ever so much for the overlay, the layout wasn't bad but the dimensional was the killer, but you rode in on your white horse and gleaming armor and saved the day. Even with the much needed size increase that would require the second floor to grow, the spirit of the original design is still very alive, just a better floor plan and more livable.

More choices! Now your talking. Lifestyle is so important in the choices we make. Yes we are all worth it.

mrmoogy.

mrmoogy on March 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm
  4. You always know that some serious stuff is going on when Grundy puts on the knee pads. I will be happy to see the eppy that they did on this demo.

vicki_in_Utah on February 25, 2014 at 10:31 am
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting this video on You Tube! The enthusiasm of Chris and Jason put a smile on my face this morning. And hearing of the Warmth of the area….oh my! Needed for many of us.

Trish on February 25, 2014 at 11:09 am
    • I hope they read I don't do face book and that I rather have them but on youtube. I say Thank you for adding it to the blog also for the blogger who but in the link a while back

Denise_D_ on February 25, 2014 at 6:27 pm
  6. Enjoyed the chat with Chris and Jason and their stories about taking down stairs, walls and who knows what else, but a real tell-all would have taken us inside the BC to admire all the challenging work for ourselves.

Despite their on-screen energy, the two look a tad weary, but it could really be from skiing the lake and fishing all day! All those stories of hard work and swinging the sledgehammer need to be documented and reviewed for accuracy by the DIY bloggers. As they say, a picture (better yet a video) is worth a thousand words.

Maybe Dylan will relent and give us a "demo" tour in the next day or two. We promise to keep it a secret.

DBCoop on February 25, 2014 at 11:39 am
  7. Cabin Cam is on panorama again. Think TrueLook needs to update java or something else.

grammagail on February 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm
    • Did you contact Cara May cmay@scrippsnetworks.com ? She's directly in charge of the Blog Cabin camera. :)

No Java updates needed. :)

Clive on February 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm
  8. Along with maintaining constant vigilance on the Cabin Cam and all things lakeside Blog Cabin, you might want to rest your weary eyes a moment or two and take a peek at some other interesting waterfront, waterview or water-themed homes.

Each is extraordinary, unique and different from one another as the Blog Cabin is from its neighbors. http://www.frontdoor.com/coolhouses/wishing-for-a

For simplicity, charm and affordability though, I'd say the Blog Cabin is still #1 on my list. (After the full renovation,of course.)

DBCoop on February 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm
    • Thank you coop, loved pix number 17. Could not imagine living in any of those.

vicki_in_Utah on February 25, 2014 at 9:04 pm
    • DB
      Those of certainly some homes! I esp. like the dock they showed where they incorporated the contained trees. Looked very nice and eventually some shade-but alittle different. I agree with Vicki about photo #17 those are real ships-not even boats. Do you think they will throw one of those in with this BC build? LOL! I will take a canoe-thank you!:>) I guess you have to think big?! Thanks for the link

ruffybc on February 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm
    • Who noticed the error in labeling the houses? Number 13 is actually the same house shown in 8 and 9. I'll take that one, please.

Ralebird on February 26, 2014 at 2:23 pm
    • DB
      Used to take care of and repair some monstrous pools. I always prefer simplicity in design. Just like Blog Cabin. Rescue it, rebuild it, make it very functional, modern, yet true to the original vision.

Have a great weekend !

mrmoogy on March 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm
  9. Wow ! You did it again with a great interview of these two guys. They are the greatest and get them together and it is sure to be fun. But their work is the tops. Working on demo can probably be harder than the building. Interesting to hear Chris talk about tearing out things. Can not wait to see the finished Blog cabin.
    Wondering who is staying and who the new people will be on this project. Know it will be beautiful and well built, that's for sure. DIY and the Team always do great work. Thank you for giving us this peak of things to come. Wish everyone the very best. Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on February 25, 2014 at 1:42 pm
    • There's a list of the crashers and presenters for this year on the right side of the 'Peoples Choice' page. :)

Sally on February 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm
    • Thank you ,Sally. I am happy to get all the help I can. This is only my second Blog Cabin to blog. But I have entered since the very first one that was actually a cabin. wish you and all the bloggers my very best, Nan <3 <3 ;) ;)

Nan on February 25, 2014 at 4:26 pm
  10. Chris Grundy is the perfect host for Blog Cabin. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he seems to have great chemistry with all of the teams. I can't wait for more videos!

TwoCorgis on February 25, 2014 at 1:59 pm
    • I think this is his 3rd BC. I hope they keep him on all of the up coming ones too.

vicki_in_Utah on February 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm