Feb 19

People’s Choice Round Four: Vote for All Things Living

blog cabin interiors

Round four of our People’s Choice vote has begun! We’ve gathered a bevy of interior products and materials for you to choose, from clever mudroom storage to comfy sunroom seating.

You have eight decisions to make this round. Share your picks in the comments below, and pin your favorites to Pinterest.

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 3:23 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Modern Movers have been on site and now looks like they are preparing to set for lowering the home. Also Massive moves is on DIY today marathon this morning, ends at 4pm

Denise_D._ on February 20, 2014 at 2:10 pm
  2. Yes just was on the camera and saw the control wagon for Modern Movers and their big payloader in the front yard. Does not look like it will be long now. Also looks like some block work being done on the front side around where the new front door would be.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 2:49 pm
    • I think they maybe finishing the base for the fire place or front steps. There still a lot of dirt that needs to be remove before they drop it down. Most craw spaces are flat and then at least 6 m put down for a vapor barrier. But with the vents I don't know if it makes a difference in FL. There is 2 access to the area it looks like.

Denise_D._ on February 20, 2014 at 8:00 pm
    • After they remove all the extra sand will they put down a plastic barrier then stone over it. I guess that 6m is the size of stone. Around 3/4" to 1-1/2" stones. If I remember right used mostly in septic fields and was once called #57 stone.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 9:09 pm
    • Every craw space like the one we have is just the plastic vapor barrier. Even the ones Holmes on Home did. Rocks are hard to crawl and lay on when you have to do work there, I know personally. Ours is so small I was the only one who could fix the mistakes of the previous owner. Which I am not yet finished with it. When I get done with my surgery. (Waiting on ok from insurance) I plan to make the heat lines more efficient.

Denise_D_ on February 23, 2014 at 12:19 pm
    • I don't believe there will be anything but a dirt floor in the crawl space. There's no necessity. They did the same last year. The space is there to get flooded if the lake rises way up high. It will be almost completely walled in with one small access point if needed to get too wiring, plumbing etc and a few 'breather' vents to circulate the air. :)

Clive on February 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm
    • Does anyone know if this area has flooded in the past? The area where the house is located only looks like it could be around 3' above the lake.

Jay Michajluk on February 23, 2014 at 7:40 pm
  3. beautiful day in winterhaven

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm
  4. Maybe foyer where it is at because? of what was said about water. who knows. they do keep us guessing. I've never been disappointed-surprised yes . It seems I have been voting for pix not place on things, but except not to keen on kids br and j&j bath which I could be ok with because they have a way to make things work out. Enjoyed fb pix and other clip.:D:)

bogartandbacall on February 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm
  5. Cabin Cam says: Partly cloudy and 83 degrees in Winter Haven.. <sigh>

Mom2Ceci on February 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm
    • Double sigh! On the bright side we've had 3 days of above freezing temps and only about 4 inches of wet snow and ice today – better than the 12 inches predicted. These were the first days above freezing since the end of October. 'Normal' service will be resumed tomorrow as we plunge towards zero again for next week. I'm soooooo ready for Winter Haven. ^_^B)

Clive on February 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm
    • ROADTRIP!

stlmom1 on February 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm
    • You're on! ;)

Clive on February 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm
    • At least Winter Haven isn't included in the massive storm going through Florida right now.

webwoman on February 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm
  6. Maybe someone could clear this up for me. I have been looking at the drawing for the new first floor. The steps going to the second floor look like they are an open stair case to the point there the power room starts. If that is the case why is there a short wall at the foot of the stair case creating a 42" opening into the Foyer. Is that part of a load bearing wall for the second floor? ( By the way created opening is not centered with the from door, which seems odd to me. Please let me know just what is going on here with this design.
    I think if this wall was complete and the wall on the Family Room was open to the same point of the Power room. This would make the FR seem larger and the door for the PR should open to that side also. That way if you are in the FM you would not have to walk around the stair case to get to it.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm
    • Thats powder room. Some may think of it as a power room.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 5:30 pm
    • Well there is a throne in the power room you know!

I can't help with your question, just got a kick out of your correction. I was wondering if there was an opening from the family room (without a door) where you would walk under the stair to the Living Area, or maybe a cubby hole (I know there is a better term) for a built in?

LAUDGIRL on February 20, 2014 at 5:53 pm
    • That whole area confuses me. It doesn't look or feel a good design. Maybe there are constraints we can’t see that make this the only option but it's weird and clumsy (IMHO). The stairs are standard 42" wide and, as you say, rise from the Foyer. I don't know what that piece of wall 18" wide going from two steps up the stairs to form a doorway to the Living room is doing unless it's part of the support for the stairs or upper floor. The only access door to the Family room is right at the bottom of the stairs. This will create a traffic mess for sure and makes a trip from the Kitchen to the Family room a trek via the Foyer. To get to the Office is even longer and more complicated. Really bad flow.

If the stairs were turned 180 to rise from the Family room the Powder room under them could open into the Foyer (easy to get to from the Family room too without going through the living room). The Powder room would be easily accessible to the Living/Dining room or the Family room but not visible from either. Add another door to the Family room at the bottom of the stairs, which will need to be moved slightly towards the foyer and probably have a 90 degree turn to complete the rise into the upper floor.:) Problem solved. ^_^

Clive on February 20, 2014 at 7:04 pm
    • This week I have taken all three drawings and converted them to PDFs and imported them into my CAD program. Each drawing was shown in a different scale. (which I think was deliberate) In no time at all was able to over lay one on top of each other. A few adjustments and now I would say that I have some very good working drawing. At least I can get some measurements that make sense. As you know when you work in CAD you draw everything actual size. This has given me a real good feel about the designs. I have been viewing across the LR towards the stair case and that powder room from the kitchen opening and I just do not get it. It is awkward at best. If I am in the kitchen or the LR I would use the Jack and Jill not the PR. It needs to be accessed from the FM. That is where it is needed. Now if you look across the LR toward the Jack and Jill there are some strange angles that just look like an after thought. I think that the only thing that could save that area is how the LR is staged. Well that is my thoughts Clive. Maybe we can get this worked out so other will understand.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm
    • Have you worked out the dimensions of all the rooms yet? I have but I'm not sure DIY will want them to be posted. It wasn't too difficult as soon as we had something of a known length to use to calibrate the plans. ;)

House is a nice size, not too big. A little bigger than the neighbors house we can see and a little smaller than the one behind the camera. ^_^

Clive on February 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm
    • Yes I think I could give you any demension + or – 1". I do not plan to post. For my use to help get a grasp of the design.

Jay Michajluk on February 21, 2014 at 10:35 am
    • I did verify what I came up with the new foundation. It all works out.

Jay Michajluk on February 21, 2014 at 10:36 am
    • Ditto. ;)

Clive on February 21, 2014 at 11:32 am
    • I have the new section at about 20' x 28' using the quickie five foot "bathtub ruler". How'd I do?

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 6:21 pm
    • Which new section? Upper or lower. If lower (kitchen & bedroom) you're close. ;)

Clive on February 21, 2014 at 6:29 pm
    • Yeah, that was for the lower. The upper is a little tougher. I think about 13' x 39' but those don't fit normal lumber lengths so maybe 12' x 36' or 14" x 40' for the upstairs.

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm
    • Your second choice maybe closer

Jay Michajluk on February 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm
    • Okay, looks like we're narrowing it down quite a bit. I can usually get pretty close provided something to base it on is accurate.

Last Friday I did predict the house would be down by the middle of the week, pretty close – I'll blame the extra day or two on delays for filming!

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 7:56 pm
    • Try using the end wall we can see clearly in the cam. Blocks are 16 inches wide including mortar. That should make the lower floor easy for you.

Clive on February 21, 2014 at 7:59 pm
    • Awww, that's cheating. I came up with my numbers just by referencing the drawings. Besides, the camera's off for the night.

Ralebird on February 22, 2014 at 12:01 am
    • Good (Late) Evening …

Am I thinking about this too simplistically?

Because DIY told us that it was necessary to remove 2' of the sunroom in order to move the home. And that amputation left the sunroom flush with the remainder of the house. So could you not establish a scale for any of DIY's published renderings based upon the measurement known to represent – two feet?

G

Georgianna on February 22, 2014 at 12:35 am
    • The removal of the two feet (actually a bit more, I think) was temporary for the move only; it will be rebuilt. It is not easy to see because of the angle but if you zoom the camera to where the sunroom will meet the living room you can see the new foundation juts out a bit. Before the house was lowered you could see two to two and a half blocks at a right angle to the back wall and you can clearly see the back wall has three distinct sections on the drawings.

Ralebird on February 22, 2014 at 1:54 am
    • Hi!

What I was trying to say, and doing a really poor job of it, was that just like we 'know' that the bathtub in the drawings is 5' long and that the width of the French Doors is also 5', we 'know' that the depth of the Sun Room projection is 2'. For instance:

Using my grapics program, I enlarged DIY's drawing of the First Floor (maintaining its ratios). And in that program, the depth of the Sun Room projection is 22 (pixels) and the length of the bathtub and the width of the French Doors is 55 (pixels). So I think it is a pretty safe bet that (in my program) 11 (pixels) = 1 (foot).

Continued (because for whatever reason, the blog's software thinks that I talk too much … :) )

Georgianna on February 22, 2014 at 4:29 am
    • Actually, we don't know the accurate dimensions of the tub but we do know the closet on the upper floor is 24.5 inches deep. DIY tend to use unconventional sized tubs so it's a poor 'yardstick'. A 'standard' tub bowl is 4' 6" but we've no idea what the width of the surround is that they're planning. Better to use the closet which we know for sure. :)

The pixel method isn't very good unless you have a built-in scale to calibrate your images as the two drawings are shown at different magnifications. Use the closet depth upstairs and the end foundation wall (you can get it's exact length by counting the blocks and multiplying by 16) for the downstairs and you will get the exact measurements of every wall & room. :) . However, with all this information I'm not sure it tells us much that's meaningful except that the house will be approximately the same sq ft. as the neighbors.

Clive on February 22, 2014 at 12:13 pm
    • It is fun to read all of this chatter. I have not been saying anything because the CAD drawings I came up wtih for all three of the renderings we were given are just to close and I do not want to steal any of their thunder. Been doing this for 31 years. From what I see bloggers are narrowing it down.

Jay Michajluk on February 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm
    • Ralebird (continuing) …

And if I want to know the length or width of a room (or its square footage) – or if a King bed will fit in a bedroom with room left over for someone using a wheelchair to comfortably maneuver around it – I measure or draw in pixels and, in the first instance, divide by 11 (and multiply). In the second instance, I’ve learned that a King (76” x 80”) is 70 x 73 Pixels and the 3’ path that that wheelchair needs is 33 Pixels wide.

And if I sound technologically challenged, it’s because I really, really am. So, I’ve worried that the whole measuring thing is much more complex than it appears to be – to me.

But I can say that, for its value as a yardstick, I’ve come to deeply appreciate your bathtub …
      ?
      G

Georgianna on February 22, 2014 at 4:32 am
    • In that case I sure hope they haven't planned for a 72" tub!

Ralebird on February 22, 2014 at 4:51 am
    • LOL Ralebird…..that would send some of us who are calculating the square footage of this home back to the drawing board. I used your 5' tub measurement as well.

I know from past years of blogging Clive is really good at calculating square footage. I bet in the big reveal we will see his estimated numbers are pretty close, if not completely correct.

Mel on February 22, 2014 at 10:43 am
    • I forgot to say if I am sitting in the Dinning Room do not want to hear someone flush in the PR. At least the Jack and Jill in off to one side and down a hall. Even if I have to go through a BR to get there.

Jay Michajluk on February 20, 2014 at 9:50 pm
    • Agreed. I don't think anyone wants that. :(

Clive on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm
    • Glad we are on the same page.

Jay Michajluk on February 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm
    • You're only concerned about the flush? lol

Trish on February 21, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    • I'd be more concerned if they don't flush!

Ralebird on February 23, 2014 at 3:18 am
    • I have been looking for the layout and can't find it. Can you tell me how to get to it please? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

CheleRS3 on February 21, 2014 at 9:18 am
    • You can scroll down from the main "Blog" tab or use these links.

LAUDGIRL on February 21, 2014 at 9:37 am
    • Thank you so much for your help. I have been looking and looking. I am still new at this. I can't believe all the choices and how people make their choices and just the whole thing. I love being a part of it. Even if it is just voting on things that I think would look good. This is so much fun. Someone is going to have a beautiful home when this is all done. I wish people would stay positive though. I don't like it when they cut down the professionals. They don't even have to let us help, so they should be grateful for that. Thank you again for your help. Hope you have a great weekend. God Bless.

CheleRS3 on February 21, 2014 at 11:35 am
    • Another point of view, I personally don't have a problem with the location of the powder room, I think it's far enough away from the dining room that one will not hear a flush since the door would probably be closed. Also I wouldn't want dinner guests to have to go to the jack and jill bathroom between the second and third bedroom to use the restroom. And I think it's convenient enough for family members to use when in the main part of the house. Again, my opinion only.

Slps60 on February 21, 2014 at 11:00 am
  7. Looks like they better batten down the hatches tomorrow afternoon. Storms heading that way. Stay safe little cabin!

LAUDGIRL on February 20, 2014 at 6:01 pm
    • Wow Laudgirl did you ever call that right! I flipped to our local tv station and there are all kinds of weather issues, warnings etc. It looks gray and dreary and the storms are heading towards us. That still isn't much compared to the freezing weather in the north. I guess we will see what happens down here(that radar tower looks like it's working overtime!) I hope all that freezing cold weather ends soon and you all get a chance to warm up. Blessings to you all!<3<3

Sheri McNamara on February 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm
  8. Interesting choices. Not things I would necessarily pick for an old Florida home, but it'll still look wonderful. I adore old Florida homes, very intrigued to see how it will all come together in the end!

JenniferAnn on February 20, 2014 at 6:41 pm
  9. Thanks for round four to vote on for Blog Cabin 2014. I put in my votes today.

dreamn_again on February 20, 2014 at 6:48 pm
  10. The reason is for structure. You can't take down too much. Or it could collapse. This has been said way back under the plans.

Denise_D._ on February 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm