Feb 19

People’s Choice Round Four: Vote for All Things Living

blog cabin interiors

Round four of our People’s Choice vote has begun! We’ve gathered a bevy of interior products and materials for you to choose, from clever mudroom storage to comfy sunroom seating.

You have eight decisions to make this round. Share your picks in the comments below, and pin your favorites to Pinterest.

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 3:23 pm on February 2, 2014

1. We have had both of those entry floors before. Once the herring bone won, and the other one was on 2013 BC I Think. And the chair for the sun room that is in the lead was what Josh Temple made for the 2013 BC also. Glad Good House Keeping is doing 2 rooms this year. Lots of fun stuff to vote on in this round.

vicki_in_Utah on February 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm
    • The vote is NOT for the pattern, it is for the LOCATION of the pattern!

Ralebird on February 20, 2014 at 5:14 am
    • Ralebird, I guess I didn't explain myself very well, i was just noticing that some of the pictures they are using are from other BC's.

vicki_in_Utah on February 20, 2014 at 10:32 am
    • They have been doing this a lot in the last two BC's. The bench seating shown for the upstairs of this house was from the 2012 Maine BC. I guess they don't want us to know exactly what it will look like until the reveal. ;)

AnniesOwn on February 20, 2014 at 11:01 am
    • I like that they are using pictures from past BC's it kind of makes me home sick LOL..

vicki_in_Utah on February 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm
    • What is the pattern? a framed rug? a mat? o.0

CucumberH0H on February 20, 2014 at 2:42 pm
    • The pattern is up to the designers – they haven't shown what it will be. The only choice is WHERE it will be, whatever it is.

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 3:57 am
    • Right Ralebird. I just hope they don't do what they did once before and painted the fringe on the rug messed up, I always would of wanted to fix it.

vicki_in_Utah on February 21, 2014 at 9:46 am
    • I guess I didn't see that but there's no indication there will be any painted design this time especially since the floor design location selections link to Lumber Liquidators.

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 6:33 pm
  2. For those who are on Facebook Chris Grundy has some photos and words about Blog Cabin on his Facebook page today. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101523052

Sally on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm
    • Thanks Sally it is nice to know they are working on the inside while they are getting the outside ready.

vicki_in_Utah on February 20, 2014 at 12:20 am
  3. I've read some of the other bloggers comments and I agree with some of what they were saying.. wallpaper hmm it's pretty but it' going to be a pain to get rid of; if it's just on a feature wall that'd be perfect since it would'nt be all through out the living spaces.
    As for the entryway designs yes they were used before and maybe something else could have gone in their places but having said that I think that they'll look just as lovely as they did in the other BC designs.
    Can't wait to see how everything comes together in the end.

NvbH on February 20, 2014 at 12:48 am
    • NvbH sorry you don't like the wallpaper. I think both designs are gorgeous. They are simple and would be great as on accent wall. I wouldn't change a thing. Products have changed/improved over the past few years. But that's okay since I have every intention of winning this great home I plan on leaving it as is. See I have never owned a home(no whining about it, I lived ok just not in MY home. After living in Florida all my life, now disabled and my husband just retired, we plan a change in our lifestyle. We are two hours south of the cozy area Winter Haven and it's perfect for us. No I'm not crazy. I'm planning a wonderful retirement in that cozy 2014 Blog Cabin. Thanks for letting me prattle along. Love to all.<3<3:D

Sheri McNamara on February 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm
    • Hi Sheri how are you? I did not say that I hated the wallpaper just that having it throughout the living spaces would be a bit much if you had to change it years down the road. Just having it as a accent wall would be perfect. I have to say that I love your confidence about winning the Blog cabin; but you have competition .. me :D Like you, I have never owned a home and this would be a perfect one year anniversary gift for my husband and I:D All in all I wish you luck Sheri ; stay safe and have a good night.

NvbH on February 20, 2014 at 9:01 pm
    • The wallpaper choice is just for the powder room.

Ralebird on February 21, 2014 at 5:56 am
  4. A fun interview after the demo at BC 2014. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQUEdNVoOTM&fe

TwoCorgis on February 20, 2014 at 12:53 am
    • Thanks for sharing. It was fun to watch them filming and then see the outcome so quickly!

I liked how they said the lake would be a large element in the renovation (not sure of their exact phase). Wonder what they have in store for this?

LAUDGIRL on February 20, 2014 at 9:00 am
    • I wonder as well. Grundy was biting his tongue to avoid giving away secrets, but he was gesturing towards the water and waving his arms to indicate some kind of flow that would seem to be open. I can't wait to see what that means!

TwoCorgis on February 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm
    • Most likely a dock. He loves to fish and do boating

Denise_D._ on February 22, 2014 at 9:41 am
    • PS, I preference you tube to FB so I hope they will do more, but not with the delay words, some words missing.

Denise_D._ on February 22, 2014 at 9:44 am
    • Good find. Did you check out Grundy's FB page too. More info and pictures on there. :)

Clive on February 20, 2014 at 11:21 am
    • Grundy always has the best pictures on his FB page. He always seems to be doing something fun!

TwoCorgis on February 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm
    • Two your video link is great, thanks for sharing! It's always a pleasure to see Jason and his Sledgehammer wielding, powerful looking biceps <3

Sounds to me like "our" Arts & Crafts style bungalow is going to have great flow from the inside living areas of the home into outdoor living and entertainment spaces!

LOL at our host Grundy, I loved when he said Dylan was watching him and showing him a "fist" to keep him from giving away any details.

By the P/C vote this round, looks like Jason's Sledgehammer show will feature the Foyer, Living room and Sunroom renovations and our design picks for these rooms in this round.
      Looks like this round of voting is split between his show and the Good HouseKeeping space.

The next voting round should be for the Mega Dens space ….then my favorite P/C vote: Outdoors!
      I remain super excited to see what Joel Moss and his YardCore crew will do to the yard along with Yard Crashers. Perhaps finally a Blog Cabin pool? Many bloggers have suggested a pool every year the Blog Cabin has been in a hot southern location. A pool seems like a necessity more than just a want, with Florida's long and extended hot weather. I certainly feel like this location needs a pool, offering swimming that's safe from gators, and a refreshing escape from Florida's soaring heat and humidity…and I hope Dylan feels that way too.

Mel on February 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm
    • Hope it' a lot of stone work, lg. patio with fire pit, pizza oven, & extra stone curve wall for sitting on. Don't know if pools are a able to be put in. Maybe a lap pool like last years dream home, doesn't take as much room either.

Denise_D._ on February 22, 2014 at 9:51 am
    • Those are all good suggestions Denise.
      I think with CobbleSystems being in Orlando, FL we will definitely see a cobble stone patio. The configuration of the patio, or the color of the cobbles might be a part of the P/C Outdoors voting round.
      The outdoor living space would need shade from the Florida sun!
      Jake Moss is wonderful at landscaping design, so whatever him and Matty come up with I know we will love it. I like your idea of stone walls, for an outdoor room feel, seating height block walls, with a nice finish, capped with smooth stone sounds really nice! Pea gravel walkways. tropical plantings….and if not a pool, at the very least a large shaded jacuzzi.
      Last year's blog cabin had the best outdoor spaces yet. If they try to top last year's yard I imagine all of us will be very pleased with how this year's yard turns out.

Mel on February 22, 2014 at 11:28 am
    • I like the thought of a stone patio and outdoor kitchen. There is not much shade in the back yard. Something will have to be built to cover the area to keep the stone from heating up during the afternoon sun. Although that may feel good when the sun goes down.

Jay Michajluk on February 23, 2014 at 8:29 pm
    • For being as tiered as they must have been, they sure have a lot of energy.

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 8:11 pm
    • I think Grundy has a way of bring spirits up in everyone and boots everyone energy. No need those types of drinks around him. Always brings mine up.

Denise_D._ on February 22, 2014 at 9:54 am
    • TwoCorgis, great video! Very hard working guys, and so funny too! The house will n doubt be amazing!^_^

amberPA on February 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm
    • no doubt! (ooops!)^_^

amberPA on February 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm
  5. What makes me rather sad is that this house was built in 1923. It had the beautiful (now old-fashioned) steps to the front door with a wide porch. I remember how all the bloggers loved the asthetics, the charm of the old-fashioned home, and the thoughts of all the family of their families lived, raised children, died there. They all wanted as much of the love and charm maintained because they loved it so much. I'm not seeing much of all that anymore. It's rather looking like all the other cabins these days.

If 'retro' is used, shouldn't it be retro to 1923, not to the 60's? It should have the old-fashioned touches and 'look', not 'new'. In any case, I love this home still, because I loved it before it was torn down.

whichwitch on February 20, 2014 at 12:57 am
    • I totally agree with you. I am so hoping that they keep some of the charm of this house. Going to vintage flea markets and shops to buy stuff from that period of when the house was built would be so awesome. Nicole Curtis is amazing. She does exactly that and I would love to see one of her houses done as a blog cabin. It would be so amazing. If I could live in Minnesota and own one of her houses I would in a heart beat. Unfortunately, my body can't take the cold winters. Maybe one year they can move one to a warm place and let her come down and fix it up and have that as the blog cabin. I guarantee it would be like no other anywhere.

I am still holding out hope though that our guys will keep some of the charm that this house originally had. I don't think they want to lose the integrity of the house. I think they just want to clean her up and hope that we the ones that are choosing and making the decisions do are best to make it a beautiful old country farm house. That is why I keep saying we can't go rustic, retro, modern, classic, etc… with each different room. It all needs to coexist and have a nice flow from room to room. I believe the guys can and will make it happen. Stay safe to all the workers and God Bless you all!!!

CheleRS3 on February 25, 2014 at 1:40 am
    • How fun….just dreaming of my family coming to see us on their vacation. It is so much fun to be apart of this. I love the idea of wallpaper again. The lead pattern is perfect for my taste and the colors …wow. How could you have a more perfect setting.? I can just imagine the sun setting in the late evening. Enough dreaming I suppose. Great job!

Lois on February 27, 2014 at 11:42 pm
  6. I have to agree with Donna, wallpaper would not be my choice either. I have never been a fan! The choices seem kind of all over the place but an interesting mix. Can't wait to see how things all come together!!

Daffie on February 20, 2014 at 7:25 am
  7. What is being shown as picture rail here is not what I have always known by that name. To me, picture rail is a molding designed to suspend pictures from hooks. In my current house, it runs along the ceiling, but I have seen photos of it used in conjunction with crown molding. Crown molding with picture rail running a few inches below it would add a rich old-fashioned look while protecting the walls from hammered-in picture hooks.

Susan on February 20, 2014 at 8:03 am
  8. I've always had a rug in the hall to catch dirt ,so I picked the larger border wood for there.It will frame a smaller rug.Love the bench/storage unit.Kids quickly outgrow kiddy camping deco.I know,I have 8 grandkids.I.ve always loved wicker.Paint it change cushions,it lasts for ever. loving our choices. NOW back to the web cam..

Bobbi in Indy on February 20, 2014 at 10:11 am
    • I agree with you on the larger piece of wood flooring…..it is less intrusive, and gives you the ability to change out rugs because it would go with more pieces…..but you and I are in the minority on this one…..no big deal, whatever they do is going to be beautiful.

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 10:23 am
    • I had commented to flooring earlier, too. I must have used a "not" word because it was reviewed and rejected. I agree about the border and I wonder if there is confusion about the location or are people are getting distracted by the pictures?

stlmom1 on February 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
  9. Was wondering how the people who were voting for the front door location of the flooring pattern were seeing the foyer. Not judging!!!!! Just curious if they had a different vision than I did. I have always had a rug of some sort for dirt and moisture and to leave shoes. I would hate to cover a beautiful inlaid wood feature with something so utilitarian (but necessary).

stlmom1 on February 20, 2014 at 10:58 am
  10. So. Many. Choices. The entryway is going to be amazing. I love both storage options. What do you all think?

Kayla@HGTV on February 20, 2014 at 12:50 pm
    • Hi Kayla,
      Each round of voting has left me hopeful of seeing "our" Blog Cabin becoming a beautifully undated Craftsman style home.
      I do believe this will be the best foyer ever with storage potential for however the winner lives… storage for whatever is necessary as we enter and leave our home, whether that is storing school backpacks, totes, to fishing gear, to rain gear, to lake gear…I see the potential. I love well planned and placed storage in a home for staying organized.

Mel on February 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm
    • I like the storage option w/the closet. It allows for a vacuum to be stored out of site. I also think this option is a little more formal.

I like the other option but feel it is more suited for a GARAGE ENTERANCE or MUD ROOM ENTERANCE.

MAOW on February 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm
    • I agree with you MAOW. The foyer storage shelves and closet belong by the back door for all the junkie things like shoes, jackets, muddy things. But at the front door??? I can hardly envision that! That shelf is awful for being the first thing one sees entering the home.

whichwitch on February 21, 2014 at 6:39 am
    • Kayla, love the choices. First day's descriptions were quite confusing, i.e. "bench and closet" describing the picture of all open shelving, and "hooks and shelving" describing the picture with some closed cabinetry. Since both pictured bench seating and hook hanging, I voted on the one that also showed closed storage/hanging, assuming the descriptions had been off. Glad to see I was correct and that the descriptions/titles have been modified since the first day's voting. Thanks.

Aunt Sal on February 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm
    • Hi Kayla. Good to see you're still watching over us from afar. ^_^

The Foyer options are interesting and have been somewhat confusing to vote for. The captions have been changed but still aren't very clear. Both options have coat pegs, shelves, closet-like spaces and bench seating. The top option, to me, looks more formal and may well be winning because voters think the same as I do on this. The lower option looks more informal and better suited to a mud room or lakeside entrance.

The bigger concern I have is the foyer floor design. We're voting for where the design inlay goes and the choice that's almost certain to win is the doormat location. Many bloggers have noted that if this wins the inlay will almost certainly be obscured by a door mat (DUH!. o.0) Can you please let us know if the inlay location is really going to be just inside the front door or, as a few have suggested, in the doorway between the Foyer and the Living room. Thanks for thinking of us. :)

Sally on February 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm
    • Hello Kayla,
      Love all the choices and would like to be the proud owner of any of them! My daughter has the great storage/bench unit in her home along with three kids, husband and dog, it is very functional and keeps everything organized. Everyone has their own space to put away outer wear and shoes. I love the location of the compass pattern because it draws attention at the entry way and I would definitely be taking off my shoes. Wallpaper always gives an extra nice touch . ^_^

donna white on February 20, 2014 at 4:39 pm
    • Hi Kayla, I'm glad you are joining us in the fun.
      I like the idea of having a place to sit while I put on or take off my shoes. Either would be good.

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 8:13 pm
    • Kayla, The choices ARE wonderful. Guess we'll need another blog cabin to use all the ideas. :)

As for the storage option: Here's the thing that I KNOW. My dear husband gets his shoes and wants to sit down to put the shoes on. With the bench, it's there. A bench within the foyer is an invitation to others for comfort, sit a spell, stay awhile.

I have a question why the "family room" is set aside from the MAIN living portions of the house? Is it more of a formal living room, with the living room being the family room? Just wondering aloud about this. Or, is it called this because it has fewer windows for the ability to watch tv/play video games?

Trish on February 21, 2014 at 10:11 am
    • Trish,
      Yes you are right the family room will be the Mega Dens space. They always trick out the space they do with awesome electronics, so this will be the space for watching movies and playing video games. I believe Anitra, Joey and Mikey will complete the office space too. With the next round of voting we will have all of the downstairs living spaces covered by the P/C selections. Each indoor show is well represented in this year's BC with a nice size space(s) to transform.

Like you I'm always trying to figure things out, and no door from the family room into the sunroom has puzzled me from the beginning. I originally thought, and blogged Mega Dens might do a clear stained glass application in the wall, between these two rooms. Then looking back through some original pictures I saw a good sized metal floor grate that Dylan said would be repurposed in the finished BC. Now I'm wondering if that floor grate is going to be incorporated into a clear glass art design that will go in the wall between the sunroom and family room. I can imagine that grate, along with glass from the original windows being framed into the wall, letting light and the water view into the family room in a very artistic style.
      With most of the inside P/C voting rounds, creative art type projects have been up for vote. I really like the artistic appeal of a decorative floor inlay when you open the front door. I'm thinking we are going to see some really unique and artistic projects incorporated into the BC design this year.
      Now will we see corbels repeated inside of the home? bringing that craftsman design aesthetic from the outside eaves, indoors? I loved the corbel bench that was custom built in the VA BC. It was such an artistic piece. That's the type of artistic creativity I believe we will see in projects featured on the BC shows this year. This home is going to break some blogger hearts, for sure!

Mel on February 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm
    • Hi Kayla, After looking at the floorplan it appears at the storage piece will go to the left of the front door, I personally like the idea of the bench seating and I also like the idea of a closet being right there. I agree with you, I think the entryway is going to look fabulous. I also really like the reclaimed material for the sunroom furniture. I have noticed that a few people do not like the wallpaper idea, there are some really nice wallpaper products on the market today and considering the high standards you folks have I don't foresee any problem with the quality of the workmanship or how pretty the end product will be. You guys always do such a great job and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Slps60 on February 21, 2014 at 10:35 am