Feb 19

People’s Choice Round Four: Vote for All Things Living

blog cabin interiors

Round four of our People’s Choice vote has begun! We’ve gathered a bevy of interior products and materials for you to choose, from clever mudroom storage to comfy sunroom seating.

You have eight decisions to make this round. Share your picks in the comments below, and pin your favorites to Pinterest.

VOTE NOW

• Posted at 3:23 pm on February 2, 2014

1. Okay, one more thing I need to get off my chest. I just went back to look at the People's Choices since CucumberH0H mentioned a choice that displayed purple for the bathroom in her post. I never saw anything purple and thought I might need to calibrate my monitor settings. Anyway, when I went back to look, I realized I could vote again…and I don't mean on a different computer or other device. Obviously there is a way to get around voting 10 times ONLY ONCE A DAY. I did figure out how I was able to do this, as I'm sure others will if they haven't already. It just seems unfair and I wish you had to log in first so that everyone would truly have a say in the choices. Just saying…:(

LAUDGIRL on February 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • I'm not for sure LAUDGIRL, but i think the computer will just kick your over the limit votes out of the system >

susan on February 23, 2014 at 12:09 am
    • I hope so! The only reason I posted was because I was hoping someone from Scripps would see my post and correct the problem. I would hate to think our efforts are in vain and that a few are pulling the votes in their favor.

Went to another computer, and yes I do see purple! Good thing I don't depend on correct coloring on that computer!

LAUDGIRL on February 23, 2014 at 4:54 am
  2. While I like the compass rose for the foyer, I have always had a rug in front of the door, which would cover that beautiful wood artwork. In florida you always have to be mindful of sand at every doorway. The best bet is to put a shaggy rug or mat at the door to make sure the sand stays off the hardwood floors and out of the rest of the carpets in the house. I have only lived in Florida for 13 years, but those are my thoughts.

YankeeNuke on February 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm
    • That is the type of info we need. I was also thinking that I may have a mat by the door and would never see the beautiful floor.

Eugenia27 on February 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm
    • Read it again. There is NO choice for a compass rose. The choice is only for the LOCATION of the flooring detail. Over 50,000 people, two thirds of the vote, have already voted for putting the detail under the doormat!

Ralebird on February 20, 2014 at 5:10 am
    • I agree. They should read more carefully and think of the answers. The pictures are very misleading and done purposefully (they have not changed the format for years). However, I am sure the smart powerful decision makers who put the voting together, also know and are intelligent to know, that the peoples choice is only a choice between two items the designers already have chosen!! I am sure if the designers did NOT want a specific item, it would never go to vote. But what the heck, lets have fun with the blogging.

KMH on February 20, 2014 at 6:28 pm
    • Ralebird,
      LOL, I am sorry but this sounds as though you are really getting frustrated here, doesn't seem to be many people paying attention to the fact that you are trying to tell them they are ONLY voting on the LOCATION and not the pattern!

Slps60 on February 26, 2014 at 10:36 pm
    • I just submitted a comment about this too- before I saw yours mine-> Re: Front door wood design "rug"… I have been voting for this- it is gorgeous- but it just occurred to me that would mean any actual rug put down to catch dirt, sand etc that comes in would be covering up that beautiful floor- so maybe better the center foyer wood patter "rug"… thoughts anyone?

DeCe on February 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm
  3. Hi Virginia and welcome to keeping us bloggers happy with new threads. Like some of the choices and not so much others but that is usual. Love the bench seat and cupboards for the foyer. Also like the fun retro theme for a Florida house. It has been a fun day watching all the activity at BC today. Gorgeous day in Winter Haven and a welcome break from another snowy cold day.

grammagail on February 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm
  4. YankeeNuke or anyone else who lives in Florida.
    When it comes to the seating, I was thinking that the wicker would make more sense because of the humidity and that it also breaths. I prefer the hand crafted chair but I'm not sure how comfortable that would be in that climate.
    Can't wait to hear your opinion.
    Thanks.

Eugenia27 on February 19, 2014 at 6:04 pm
    • Wicker chairs are reclaimed from the original house. I like to think they're recycling usable things too not just making something from bits and pieces.

AnniesOwn on February 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm
    • The recycled wicker is nice for indoors but we have had one of the new coated wicker rockers on our outdoor deck year round (yes, it is out there in the snow right now) for at least five years and it still looks like new. You can wash it or hose it down and it is fine. Love it!

grammagail on February 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm
    • Wicker holds up very well here, just like in northeast environments. It's the quality first and the care of the furniture second. Some wicker gets a mild workout by kids, heavy sitters, and ones that rock the wicker chair that is NOT a rocking chair (me). You know, the one chair that sits at a twenty degree angle, one arm lower than the other and the base unraveling so fast…darn, I hit the floor! Seems like they will be in the sun room and will be fine inside or out as long as they are the thicker, quality wicker. Not the dollar store brands. They are easy and light to move around more so than heavy custom built wood furniture. Save the custom for outside. The gators will enjoy better too. Just seal them well from the environment!!

KMH on February 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm
    • These are antique wicker chairs that were in the original house sunroom. They look the part. Refurbished they'll look awesome in the same place. Can't see that clunky reclaimed wood furniture looking as good in the sunroom.

AnniesOwn on February 20, 2014 at 7:09 pm
    • Thank you. That is just the kind of information that those of us who don't live in that area need to knowSent from my iPhone

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm
    • Good evening Eugenia27, I think the wicker chairs that are crafted well are gorgeous inside and outside. They are so comfortable, I can see myself rocking in one of those chairs on the sun room or outside under a tree. That's just what I'll do as soon as I win that amazing Blog Cabin! LOL I can't help but dream. I keep telling my self that will happen in Gods time.(I am not very patient, but I keep trying.) The wicker furniture looks well kept. I hope they are used somewhere on the property. By the way, I live about 2 hours south of Winter Haven, something was said about getting info from a Floridian might be helpful, so let me know. Best wishes to all and be safe.

<3:D

Sheri McNamara on February 20, 2014 at 7:37 pm
    • I am in Oregon. I know the choices I'd make in furniture will be different than some in who lives in Florida, or even Arizona.That's why I wanted to hear from some one who lived there.Thanks. :)

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm
    • Wicker like most furniture will wear well. I carried a wicker in my pool store along with pvc and strap The wicker was webbed with two strands wicker one strand stainless steel for extra strength. Better suited for outside than most wicker. For those who watched Dallas years ago, it was the same as on the mansions veranda. Nice, well made and pricey. I'm in FL and it's good to cover furniture at night or in bad weather.

mrmoogy on March 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm
  5. So interesting to read all these blogs tonight. Appreciate the tips from those that live in Florida. I am enjoying all the choices we have. I did read about the items as I always do. I really like the water dish and the way it works and can be cleaned. This will be a welcome addition as we try to keep our pets healthy too ! The closet along with the bench in the foyer will be most welcome. So nice to be able to keep coats, ect. out of sight. Very happy the vote is going that way. Do not agree with some of the other choices but that is "OK" . As I said yesterday because whatever wins, DIY and the fabulous team will produce another beautiful home for a fortunate winner. Have a nice evening. my best to all, Nan ;) <3 ;) <3

Nan on February 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm
  6. Really at a loss for some of the pics. This is a kids room we are talking about. Retro??? What kid wants a room done in retro, then a bath in rustic. Kids needs outdoorsy stuff, retro would drive them crazy, they need a room to live in. Hate wallpaper, but what can you do? I would rather see the entire foyer floor with a beautiful pattern, but of course that is my opinion, lol. Call me puzzled.

cherdye on February 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm
  7. Ah, the discussion lingers on…. Could these have been Shakespearean thoughts on wallpaper?

To see wallpaper or not to see wallpaper — that is the question:
    Whether 'tis easier on the eyes or tougher
    From divas and caballeros of outrageous design
    Who mean no harm but to offer a sea of choices
    And by exposing them, rely on style's drama
    To wit — to bring about a constant renewal
    And our senses challenged, rather than an end
    To warm the soul and perhaps to shock
    Rather than to cling to usual comforts
    As mankind is steadfastly prone to do

To sleep, perchance to deny new dreams — there's the rub:
    'Tis not an option, for in that unwillingness
    Lies the answer against unfolding adventures
    Thus we must give pause to reconsider
    When we choose to dismiss out-of-hand
    The nature of design's infinite complexity
    For who would forego the passage of time
    The style hits and the trendy wrongs
    Which, undiscovered, would have lead us to wander
    Leaving our world with a richness forever lost

But that the dread of something new — from which we must recoil
    Or new again, yet with a twist or turn
    To make no allowance for the tested or untested
    For then no life can be more further enriched
    Though it may at first glance puzzle the will
    And make us bear ill against the unproven
    Let not your conscience make cowards of us all
    But embrace the future with resolution
    Thus disperse the clouds and seeds of doubt
    Shining the light of affirmation upon the lowly wallpaper

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 8:28 pm
    • I love it. You must be an English prof or teach Brit Lit in high school. Very well done!

RLDorf on February 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm
    • Surprisingly, RLDorf, English was never one of my favorite subjects in school. It was work in those days. Now it's fun. As for my career, it was in high finance, low finance and everything in between.

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 10:42 pm
    • oh my…….and all for wallpaper; how about carpet…….

a masterpiece

twoTERRIERs on February 19, 2014 at 9:54 pm
    • LOL! And yes, all for wallpaper. I think I'll give myself a rest before I tackle carpet.

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 10:25 pm
    • yes, you need a rest after this……you must have been up way before the roosters on this one…..:):)

twoTERRIERs on February 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm
    • Every line is sheer perfection. "The style hits and the trendy wrongs…" Truth.

TwoCorgis on February 19, 2014 at 10:01 pm
    • Amazing how someone can be inspired by the discussions about wallpaper — but it's just my quirky sense of humor I guess.

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 10:34 pm
    • DB, My hat is off to you. Just finished reading your post for the third time. Each time you read it the more you get from it. Yes the discussion lingers on, lingers on never more.

Jay Michajluk on February 19, 2014 at 10:07 pm
    • Thanks, Jay. I put it together quickly, just in time to head out for dinner. I'll have to go back and read it again myself — see how it settles after dinner.

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm
    • Oh, snap! :)

stlmom1 on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 pm
    • Just imagine what could be written about the landscaping. It could be Pulitzer material.

RLDorf on February 19, 2014 at 11:47 pm
    • so true….boy we could have a pulitzer winner here

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 1:20 am
    • LOL. Oh my, now the pressure is on. I don't think I can compete with the fascination that the Blog Cabin camera has on DIYers, but the incentive of a possible Pulitzer Prize is a strong one!

By the way, just how many hours of cabin "watching" goes on each day, I wonder?

DBCoop on February 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm
    • Very much enjoyed! I think cabin "watching" should be your next subject! We are a bunch of peeping Tom's. I wonder if the worker bees know they are on camera?

LAUDGIRL on February 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm
    • Coop that was great! Thank you for sharing that with us. Goes to show, humor can be found in all things. Also I think using either wallpaper as an accent wall, the painting from one or more of those colors are wonderful. There is no shower or tub in the powder room, so I don't see the problem. Keep up that great work and we will keep smiling.xD<3

Sheri McNamara on February 20, 2014 at 8:02 pm
    • me i can only take maybe 10 minutes every 3rd day………….maybe my computer is slow….would have to know i guess how many people view this each day and average length of visit..i cannot imagine..kind of like watching a plant grow…..

two people praying might know the answer to this one….i would surely like to know too:) just as I'd like to know how many entries they got on DH this time…..maybe we'll see more SH soon…..other than that I think you could win the prize….

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm
    • If you are talking about watching Corn in Nebraska growing, that is actually exciting. (OK, I don't get out much) When it is hot you can see it grow and it makes a neat snapping and cracking sound.

We are talking about corn, so how did that rice cereal get the snap crackle pop sounds?? those are the sounds of corn growing. ;-)

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 8:02 pm
    • actually i do like to watch everything grow, so maybe a better analogy is that it is kinda like watching fishing on tv…..shore fishing…..

that is really exciting about the corn…

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 9:12 pm
    • There's nothing more exciting than watching the bobber sitting on top of the water. ( NOT )Sent from my iPhone

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm
    • Well written sir and yea for the Shelley, Byron, Keats romantic era verbiage. As I told my kids years ago, just so NO. No to drugs, no to wallpaper. Well, maybe in a small room, far, far, away; its lost in the darkness bringing enjoyment to someone, somewhere. But not to me. Some paper is quality stuff and great patterns too. Just not in the mood for the selections given to us for voting. Tacky comes to mind. Great grandma with moth balls in the couch. And I'm old!

KMH on February 20, 2014 at 6:49 pm
    • i like no to wallpaper…..

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm
    • Beautiful. I can picture your verse being recited on stage.
      The costume manager will have a blast wrapping the actors in wallpaper.

Eugenia27 on February 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm
    • :)

twoTERRIERs on February 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm
    • So DB, do you save your creations or are they only posted on the blog?
      This one is in my top 10 of your recreating the masters.

Eugenia27 on February 28, 2014 at 7:23 pm
    • Wow, DBCoop that was awesome. You have an amazing talent. I enjoy everything you write! I send many blessing to you and yours.<3:)

Sheri McNamara on March 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm
  8. Wow! I am really curious to see how this house is going to look when it is all done. It seems like it is a mix of traditional, modern, rustic, retro etc… I like the center floor design for foyer. Think it will look really pretty with the tiger bamboo wood flooring. I think it will match better. I also like the rustic for bedroom more than the retro. If you have boys, I don't see them liking polka dots very much. I know little girls might not like rustic, but I feel like you have more options to change a few things with the rustic than you would with the retro plus it says they are taking the rustic ideas from the outside areas from there. I don't know, just my thoughts. Like I said, it is going to be very interesting when it is all finished. Happy voting everyone!

CheleRS3 on February 19, 2014 at 8:34 pm
  9. I hope people are remember what was already voted on before they vote and even maybe go back and look so that when you do vote you can see what will go good with what is already picked. Not trying to sound bossy, I just know that it helps me before I vote.

CheleRS3 on February 19, 2014 at 8:38 pm
    • Yes, one must do their homework.

Jay Michajluk on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm
    • I am glad that someone agrees with me. I am just a little worried. There seems to be way too many themes going on in each area. I would of thought that people would want a more cohesive looking house that kind of blends from room to room with a little variety not major. Rustic/Retro that is a BIG difference.

CheleRS3 on February 21, 2014 at 1:31 am
    • No Worries, CheleRS3, just look back at all the past cabins to refresh you memory and give you faith. I'm sure at the time choices seemed just as discombobulated. I personally think Winter Haven's Cabin will be the best yet!

LAUDGIRL on February 21, 2014 at 9:09 am
    • Not so big when you think of the the 20's Arts and Crafts foundation we started with. I'm sure if it wins, our DIY teams will work wonders with it!

stlmom1 on February 21, 2014 at 12:23 pm