Feb 12

Blog Cabin 2013 Winners Swing by HGTV Headquarters

A note from Kayla: I’d like to introduce you to managing editor Virginia Moon who will be your guide on all things DIY Network Blog Cabin 2014. If you’ve found yourself flipping through the (beautiful!) home improvement photo galleries on HGTVRemodels.com and lost in projects on DIY Network’s Made + Remade blog, then you’re likely already familiar with Virginia’s top-notch writing and editing. Please join me in welcoming Virginia to the blog!

blog cabin 2013 winners

Hi all -

I’m excited to be on board as your new guide for all things Blog Cabin! I recently had the pleasure of meeting the winners of Blog Cabin 2013 as they passed through town a few weeks ago. Mari Cabrera-Hickerson, along with her husband Ken, son Alex, and dog Kokaei came by the HGTV headquarters to pick up the keys to their new home in North Carolina!

The family’s cross-country road trip started in Culver City, Calif., they stopped in Albuquerque, NM to visit family, and  pulled into Knoxville, Tenn. on a snowy Tuesday morning. They were going to hit the road to Atlantic, NC after picking up their keys, but plans changed when they were snowed in for the night. The next morning the Blog Cabin winners packed up and headed out, making it safely to their new home.

I was able to catch up with the family during the visit about their plans for the house.  While Mari loves everything about the home, she says “I plan on adding pictures of my grandchildren to personalize it.” The couple would also like to build a garage with a loft  for the grand kids.

Aside from minor changes, Mari wants to celebrate with a family reunion this summer. What a perfect way to share her big win!

Thanks again, Mari, for stopping by. We wish you and your family many wonderful memories in your new home!

Read More About the Blog Cabin 2013 Winner >>

• Posted at 9:20 pm on February 2, 2014

1. They are pouring concrete today and lots of activity under the house. Looks like a beautiful day at BC.

RLDorf on February 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm
    • ahhh, Ken should be there to do the inspection…lol

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:22 pm
  2. I wrote last week about more work and today been watching, now the cam is having issues. Concrete truck moved or 2nd truck of concrete . It's to bad we can't see the other side of the lot. Add replace bottom structure on the sun room, plus. Need to look at plans to see if there is a door or widen the sunroom.

Denise_D._ on February 17, 2014 at 4:25 pm
  3. New year and new dreams to enjoy! Welcome to Virginia and her new journey and fun with BC 2014!!
    Happy to know that Mari, Ken and family are ready to begin their new life in their beautiful new home. <3
    Good health, dreams and hope for a better future (: hopefully in BC 2014 : ) are my words of choice for '2014'. Keep warm and safe to blogger friends who live areas experiencing the brutal winter such as I am. Brrrrr…it is so cold and I'm Florida dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!! B)B)

donna white on February 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Macusina on February 18, 2014 at 5:26 pm
  4. Welcome on board Virginia. Thanks for the update on the winners of Blog Cabin 2013.

Kathleen on February 17, 2014 at 8:46 pm
  5. Camera is off line.

Love cabin on February 18, 2014 at 10:57 am
  6. Many great choices for the 'Living Spaces' vote today. Remember folks it's just opinions on taste & style. All choices are good. :)

I'm loving all the reclaimed and recycled items and hope that no matter which wins the other will be incorporated or, maybe, they can be a sweepstakes prize for bloggers to enter to win as there have been in previous years. :D ^_^

Vote well and vote often my friends. ;)

Clive on February 18, 2014 at 11:12 am
  7. Wise selection of choices by Blog Cabin DIYers in 'Living Spaces' so far. Of course, the use of the word 'wise' has nothing to do with the fact that they're all the ones for which I personally voted…. ^_^

As always, though, I'm happy with whatever the final vote may be. It's hard to go wrong when DIY and crew does such a fine job from beginning to end, starting with a home in need of some serious love and attention, giving us a dreamy location and then mixing in a talented crew of crashers and designers. The final unveiling of the fully renovated and furnished Blog Cabin never fails to please and amaze.

I'm already practicing my Florida accent, just in case.

DBCoop on February 18, 2014 at 12:54 pm
    • We Floridians have no accent at all !! Everyone else does !!!

gremol on February 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm
    • Growing up in MA and now living in PA I think I have lost all that MA had to add to my accent. I just love the southern accents. For years I though the people in PA talked funny, but I fell in love with a PA girl and married her some 45 years ago.

Jay Michajlluk on February 18, 2014 at 10:58 pm
    • Good. I'll fit right in then, gremol. Californians don't have an accent either.

Of course most of our winter snowbirds are Canadians, though not easy to spot until they say a word or two with the letter 'O' in it, like house or about. Otherwise they seem as normal as any of the locals….

DBCoop on February 19, 2014 at 1:11 am
  8. I was in a store a few days ago and saw a bathroom item with the exact colors of "Global Oasis"; not being a real fan of green, these colors struck me as very pleasing !! I thought to myself, "I've found the colors to re-do my 2nd bath in" !! Please take another look and see if you might consider a change of popular vote !!

gremol on February 18, 2014 at 12:55 pm
  9. Wow, same pattern of voting again against bench seating with storage underneath. Voters are rejecting it by a big majority.:(

I guess despite Dylan offering it at every opportunity (showing his preference I'm sure) it's not at all popular with the majority in the country. I wonder where they store their things? ;)

AnniesOwn on February 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm
    • Now they changed the captions so benches are winning. Oh well, lets see if the 'bench haters' ;) notice.

AnniesOwn on February 18, 2014 at 4:43 pm
  10. Re I forcing the under structure of the cabin today, trenches ? For pluming or something else.

Denise_D.- on February 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm